Introducing the mind blowing EVS Ground Enhancers!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Introducing the mind blowing EVS Ground Enhancers!
« Reply #360 on: 12 Jun 2011, 01:48 pm »
Charles, the mapleshade thing is a length of cable with one end coming from the neg. terminal and the other end of the big loop connected to the pos. terminal??? Is that correct, did I read that right???

HAL

• Industry Contributor

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #362 on: 12 Jun 2011, 03:22 pm »
Thats what I thought...LOL...Good safety tip!!!....I had a feeling I was reading that wrong.

Eric

TJHUB

« Reply #364 on: 16 Jun 2011, 07:51 pm »
Kind of late to party here, but I received 3 pairs of GE's a few weeks ago.  I've been playing with them in different locations with VERY different results.  I could write pages of comments, but I don't have the energy or desire to do so.  So here is a short version:

When I attached 1 pair to the negative speaker terminals on my speakers, the sound changed immediately.  It was not for the better.  I lost some upper frequency tones verified with certain tracks I use for critical listening.  It didn't take more than a day for me to figure out that I couldn't live with the sound I was getting.

I tried a pair of GE's on the amp's negative terminals with the same effect.  I even tried a pair on my preamp and that really took away the detail and resolution of the sound.  Not good.

So before I gave up on the GE's altogether, I decided to try them on my speaker's positive posts, the sound was completely different.  I lost no detail or resolution and I'm convinced I've gain a level of clarity, decreased background noise, slightly more defined bass, and increase separation and sense of space.

Ok, this is good, but why the POSITIVE speaker posts?  This sent me on a quest to find out if one of my components was inverting absolute phase.  I couldn't find any information on my gear that stated the phase was inverted.  Then I set out to figure it out on my own.

I can't seem to definitively figure out if my absolute phase is inverted or not.  I tried the battery test and couldn't really determine if the driver was moving in or out as it bounces quickly and I just couldn't tell for sure.  Then I did some tests with my finger on the driver and convinced myself that the phase was inverted.  So I flipped the speaker terminals at my amps and I convinced myself that the drivers were now in the proper phase.  This I'm 15% certain of... :roll:

So now I'm listening to my speakers with the absolute phase inverted from where I've been listening for the last year or so.  My thoughts?  I'm NOT SURE!  This kind of stuff drives me INSANE!! 

I listened for an hour without any GE's installed and got used to the sound that sounded really familiar to me.  It is possible that the bass sounded a bit punchier, but I won't state that as fact.  It's more of a gut feeling than anything.  I didn't really notice anything else different about the sound, so inverted absolute phase doesn't seem to be a horrible thing for me.  Time to install the GE's again...

I installed a pair of GE's on my negative speaker posts and listened again.  Again, the sound seemed to change similarly to when I installed them on the positive speaker posts with the phase inverted.  I could hear slightly increased clarity, a more quiet background, slightly more defined bass, and increased separation and sense of space.

Totally confused by all of this, and frankly a little sick and tired of messing with all of this, I decided to just listen.  The sound is really good, but I had really good before.  However, it is now a couple of days later and I sat down to listen for a while.  The sound is amazingly good.  It's one of those deals where I can just let the music play regardless of what's on.  Everything sounds really great.  I would say it's better than what I had before the GE's.

Big picture, I'm still VERY confused.  Are my speakers now running inverted absolute phase or not?  This I find a bit upsetting.  I need to figure this out.  I also need to play with the other GE's I have, I'm just not in the mood for now.   

djbnh

« Reply #365 on: 16 Jun 2011, 10:04 pm »
Wikpedia's definition of audio nervosa, see below. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Kind of late to party here, but I received 3 pairs of GE's a few weeks ago.  I've been playing with them in different locations with VERY different results.  I could write pages of comments, but I don't have the energy or desire to do so.  So here is a short version:

When I attached 1 pair to the negative speaker terminals on my speakers, the sound changed immediately.  It was not for the better.  I lost some upper frequency tones verified with certain tracks I use for critical listening.  It didn't take more than a day for me to figure out that I couldn't live with the sound I was getting.

I tried a pair of GE's on the amp's negative terminals with the same effect.  I even tried a pair on my preamp and that really took away the detail and resolution of the sound.  Not good.

So before I gave up on the GE's altogether, I decided to try them on my speaker's positive posts, the sound was completely different.  I lost no detail or resolution and I'm convinced I've gain a level of clarity, decreased background noise, slightly more defined bass, and increase separation and sense of space.

Ok, this is good, but why the POSITIVE speaker posts?  This sent me on a quest to find out if one of my components was inverting absolute phase.  I couldn't find any information on my gear that stated the phase was inverted.  Then I set out to figure it out on my own.

I can't seem to definitively figure out if my absolute phase is inverted or not.  I tried the battery test and couldn't really determine if the driver was moving in or out as it bounces quickly and I just couldn't tell for sure.  Then I did some tests with my finger on the driver and convinced myself that the phase was inverted.  So I flipped the speaker terminals at my amps and I convinced myself that the drivers were now in the proper phase.  This I'm 15% certain of... :roll:

So now I'm listening to my speakers with the absolute phase inverted from where I've been listening for the last year or so.  My thoughts?  I'm NOT SURE!  This kind of stuff drives me INSANE!! 

I listened for an hour without any GE's installed and got used to the sound that sounded really familiar to me.  It is possible that the bass sounded a bit punchier, but I won't state that as fact.  It's more of a gut feeling than anything.  I didn't really notice anything else different about the sound, so inverted absolute phase doesn't seem to be a horrible thing for me.  Time to install the GE's again...

I installed a pair of GE's on my negative speaker posts and listened again.  Again, the sound seemed to change similarly to when I installed them on the positive speaker posts with the phase inverted.  I could hear slightly increased clarity, a more quiet background, slightly more defined bass, and increased separation and sense of space.

Totally confused by all of this, and frankly a little sick and tired of messing with all of this, I decided to just listen.  The sound is really good, but I had really good before.  However, it is now a couple of days later and I sat down to listen for a while.  The sound is amazingly good.  It's one of those deals where I can just let the music play regardless of what's on.  Everything sounds really great.  I would say it's better than what I had before the GE's.

Big picture, I'm still VERY confused.  Are my speakers now running inverted absolute phase or not?  This I find a bit upsetting.  I need to figure this out.  I also need to play with the other GE's I have, I'm just not in the mood for now.

TJHUB

« Reply #366 on: 16 Jun 2011, 10:16 pm »
Wikpedia's definition of audio nervosa, see below. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I already knew that!  :P

monsterbill

• **Click the URL (globe icon below) to see my audio set ups:*
    • My audio set ups:
« Reply #367 on: 19 Aug 2011, 12:42 am »
Just wondering-Anyone do any SPL measurements, comparing with/without GEs?  Seeks like there's some attenuation to me.

TJHUB

« Reply #368 on: 19 Aug 2011, 12:51 am »
Just wondering-Anyone do any SPL measurements, comparing with/without GEs?  Seeks like there's some attenuation to me.

I've never actually measured, but my guess is that there is no measurable attenuation.  I think the "attenuation" you hear is more a timing thing that makes your brain perceive as attenuation. 

Also, if you hear attenuation, try switching the GE's to the positive speaker post if you are using them on the negative currently. 

For the record, mine are all gone.

G.ear

« Reply #369 on: 20 Sep 2011, 05:55 pm »

TJHUB,

I'm so late to the party, it's probably over!  However, I want to share a thought with you on your experience regarding the phase inversion.

First, is your source strictly CD/SACD/DVDA based?  If so, this may explain why you preferred the sound phase inverted.  I was recently informed that approximately 90% of all CDs, SACDs, DVDs, etc. are phase inverted.  So, if your system has correct phase throughout, you will get the best sound by inverting the phase in your system as this will correct the inverted phase from the source material.  I recently made this change and can't believe how much better the vast majority of my CDs and SACDs sound.

I'm getting ready to order some EVS Ground Enhancers and was contemplating which speaker terminal to attach them to, positive or negative.  You may have already done the ground work, but I guess I'll have to try them both ways as well.  Now, if I can just figure out how to order these things.  I don't find any way to do so on their website, and there isn't any phone number to call.  Does one just send them an e-mail?

Cheers,
Dean

gray49

« Reply #370 on: 20 Sep 2011, 09:42 pm »
Hello...

EVS contact page link...

http://www.tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Contact_Info.html

Peace...

Stuart

gooberdude

« Reply #371 on: 20 Sep 2011, 10:40 pm »
Would you mind posting back if/when you get a response?

I e-mailed a month ago & have PM'd Ric Shultz here...but so far can't reach anyone to place an EVS order.

TJHUB

« Reply #372 on: 20 Sep 2011, 10:41 pm »
TJHUB,

I'm so late to the party, it's probably over!  However, I want to share a thought with you on your experience regarding the phase inversion.

First, is your source strictly CD/SACD/DVDA based?  If so, this may explain why you preferred the sound phase inverted.  I was recently informed that approximately 90% of all CDs, SACDs, DVDs, etc. are phase inverted.  So, if your system has correct phase throughout, you will get the best sound by inverting the phase in your system as this will correct the inverted phase from the source material.  I recently made this change and can't believe how much better the vast majority of my CDs and SACDs sound.

I'm getting ready to order some EVS Ground Enhancers and was contemplating which speaker terminal to attach them to, positive or negative.  You may have already done the ground work, but I guess I'll have to try them both ways as well.  Now, if I can just figure out how to order these things.  I don't find any way to do so on their website, and there isn't any phone number to call.  Does one just send them an e-mail?

Cheers,
Dean

Dean,

Yes, you are VERY late to the party!  I actually gave up the the ground enhancers because I just could not get a sound from them that I'd call "better."  There is no doubt that they affected the sound.  One way more negatively than the other.  I ended up giving one set away and the other is at a friend's home since about July of the year, and I think he has yet to try them.  I'll be seeing him this weekend.  If you are interested in a pair of these in new condition, PM me. 

On the absolute phase inversion, I still haven't figured it out.  I tried the AA battery trick, and I could not determine which way the driver was moving.  So I just gave up.  I recently received a new DAC that has a phase inversion button (very cool).  When I use the tube output, I have to invert the phase to get the proper, coherent, center image.  If I leave the phase "normal," the center image is clearly smeared.  I haven't really figured that one out yet either, but as things are sounding really great, I don't care either.  I hope one day to understand all of this. 

Ric Schultz

« Reply #373 on: 21 Sep 2011, 09:09 pm »
Gooberdude, etc.
My regular email address is my paypal account address (ricevs@comcast.net).  That info is also on the main page for the GEs.  If you cannot figure out the pricing then let me know.  I can also send you a paypal invoice.

gooberdude

« Reply #374 on: 21 Sep 2011, 11:42 pm »
Thx Ric

It has to be 45 days or so ago now, but I pm'd you here & sent an e-mail to your comcast address.

No worries though.  I'll be in touch.  In no hurry as I made some enhancers which are ok, but not as good as the evs you sell.

heck, i'm still waiting for the crystals wraps you have on your website.  My x-overs are covered in maher's crystals & I'm game to try other iterations.

es347

• Volunteer
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #375 on: 7 Nov 2013, 01:33 am »
I must say Ric came up with a brilliant marketing strategy.  Price it at $30...a price that many will say what the hey and send him the $$.  Some will hear an improvement, many won't but the latter group will say returning ain't worth it for the measly $30.  The cost of construction in Ric's basement couldn't be more than...what?...10 cents, if that.  Very smart marketing strategy, very smart indeed..but what makes it even more ingenious, he apparently doesn't even bother returning messages....brilliant.  Hats off to ya Ric!  :thumb:

doggie

« Reply #376 on: 15 Apr 2016, 06:25 pm »
I tried the version which just adds a piece of wire to the speaker ground side but did not really hear a difference however the version that uses a battery and a cap was a different matter. I connect this to the grounded chassis plate of my tube preamp and it makes a nice difference. Quieter background with more details.

It is called the Battery Ground Tweak(BGT).

You can get details here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=87809.0