Off Ramp 5?

audioengr

Re: Off Ramp 5?
« Reply #20 on: 11 Dec 2011, 12:55 am »
Any suggestions for a dedicated PC or Linux based internet music (like Pandora) player that would be a good match to use with the Off Ramp 5?  By "good match" I mean sound quality - not simply compatibility.  I already have a dedicated player (Bryston BDP-1) for externally stored music files but it is not comfortable with computer sources I like. 
(I am already aware of the massive following & preferences for Mac & Amarra systems)

Many of my customers use JRiver (JMC) and like it a lot. It supports kernel streaming, which is a requirement for OR4.  Good SQ.

Steve N.

fado

« Reply #21 on: 11 Dec 2011, 05:00 pm »
Thank you for the reply.  I am actually looking forward to purchase the
Off Ramp 5 and hardware to go with it that will focus on best possible sound from internet sources such as Pandora.  I am aware of all-in-one devices such as Olive and Sonore but I do not need to duplicate the Bryston BDP-1 functions. 

audioengr

« Reply #22 on: 11 Dec 2011, 10:05 pm »
Thank you for the reply.  I am actually looking forward to purchase the
Off Ramp 5 and hardware to go with it that will focus on best possible sound from internet sources such as Pandora.  I am aware of all-in-one devices such as Olive and Sonore but I do not need to duplicate the Bryston BDP-1 functions.

My experience with proprietary all-in-one music servers includes Sooloos, Qsonix, Naim, Olive and others.  I have put reclockers on most of these for my customers.

The problem I see with these is that they rarely take advantage of the best playback or ripping technologies and they have relatively high jitter on their outputs compared to the best digital sources.  IME, even when the jitter is reduced a lot, they still lack the best SQ due to their ripping and/or playback S/W.

In my mind, computer audio is not about convenience or portability.  It's about sound quality.  Being better than CD and even vinyl is the motivation.  The very best technologies available should be used and then upgraded as these improve.  Hardware and software upgrades should be possible.

Steve N.

fado

« Reply #23 on: 13 Dec 2011, 04:47 am »
I sounds like you are saying that a computer modified to focus specifically on sound reproduction sans convenience features is the way to go.  I have come across two that may meet this standard:
1. Computer Audiophile Pocket Server - C.A.P.S. v2.0  http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Computer-Audiophile-Pocket-Server-CAPS-v20
2. Jaguar Audio Design Music Player Computer
http://www.jaguaraudiodesign.com/customizedPCs.htm

I would very much like to find out about others - assuming my read on your previous response was correct.

audioengr

« Reply #24 on: 13 Dec 2011, 06:05 am »
I sounds like you are saying that a computer modified to focus specifically on sound reproduction sans convenience features is the way to go.  I have come across two that may meet this standard:
1. Computer Audiophile Pocket Server - C.A.P.S. v2.0  http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Computer-Audiophile-Pocket-Server-CAPS-v20
2. Jaguar Audio Design Music Player Computer
http://www.jaguaraudiodesign.com/customizedPCs.htm

I would very much like to find out about others - assuming my read on your previous response was correct.

I generally recommend Mac Mini.  The 64-bit 2011 Mac mini is really superb using PM or Amarra.

Steve N.

Audioclyde

« Reply #25 on: 17 Dec 2011, 01:40 pm »
Hi Steve, we've corresponded a bit last month re an Off-Ramp 4. My DAC is the AMR dp-777; while I've been using its USB input primarily, I've stated that I hear maybe a slight improvement by feeding it's bnc input with my JKeny battery powered modded HiFace.  AMR states that they think the DAC's USB input is superior, but I also disagree with their thoughts that USB cables don't make a significant difference, as I've heard considerable improvements trying various USB cables as compared to the stock cable.

At this point if I were to try an Off-Ramp, I would be using the bnc out from the Off-Ramp to the dac's bnc (or xlr, as it has both) input.

Would I be better off trying the Off-Ramp 5 or just sticking with the Off-ramp 4 (with the 4 of course upgraded with the Hynes regs, etc)?  And am I correct in concluding from what I've read that indeed using the DAC's bnc input would be preferable over its xlr input?

Finally, do you have a price set for the Off-Ramp 5 yet?  And I've read your comments about the new 'short block' (think that is how it was being referred to) USB device you are working on, and wonder how it would fit in my contemplated set up of using either an Off-Ramp 4 or 5?

Thanks,

Randy

audioengr

« Reply #26 on: 17 Dec 2011, 05:37 pm »
Hi Steve, we've corresponded a bit last month re an Off-Ramp 4. My DAC is the AMR dp-777; while I've been using its USB input primarily, I've stated that I hear maybe a slight improvement by feeding it's bnc input with my JKeny battery powered modded HiFace.  AMR states that they think the DAC's USB input is superior, but I also disagree with their thoughts that USB cables don't make a significant difference, as I've heard considerable improvements trying various USB cables as compared to the stock cable.

At this point if I were to try an Off-Ramp, I would be using the bnc out from the Off-Ramp to the dac's bnc (or xlr, as it has both) input.

Would I be better off trying the Off-Ramp 5 or just sticking with the Off-ramp 4 (with the 4 of course upgraded with the Hynes regs, etc)?  And am I correct in concluding from what I've read that indeed using the DAC's bnc input would be preferable over its xlr input?

Off-Ramp 4 will be very close to Off-Ramp 5 in this situation.

The Off-Ramp jitter is lower using the S/PDIF rather than the AES/EBU.

Finally, do you have a price set for the Off-Ramp 5 yet?

Base price I think will be $1199.00.  It has 2 Hynes regs in it stock.  I want to insure that it beats all other challengers in the market, even stock.

Looks like it will be $1299.00.  Costs are coming in and they are higher than expected.

And I've read your comments about the new 'short block' (think that is how it was being referred to) USB device you are working on, and wonder how it would fit in my contemplated set up of using either an Off-Ramp 4 or 5?

It can be used with any USB cable with any device.  Improves Off-Ramp and Overdrive.

Steve N.
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2012, 09:23 pm by audioengr »

setamp

« Reply #27 on: 20 Dec 2011, 09:07 pm »

With an introductory discount for audiocircle members ???    :)

Base price I think will be $1199.00.  It has 2 Hynes regs in it stock.  I want to insure that it beats all other challengers in the market, even stock.

Steve N.
[/quote]

tuberock

« Reply #28 on: 4 Jan 2012, 05:22 am »
Will the offramp 5 support integer mode? Please :D

audioengr

« Reply #29 on: 12 Jan 2012, 12:20 am »
An early posting from an Off-Ramp 5 beta-tester:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1320430393&&&/PS-Audio-PerfectWave-DAC-Upgrade

I think he likes it. :thumb:

Steve N.

serengetiplains

« Reply #30 on: 12 Jan 2012, 02:29 am »
The relevant post is the 01-11-12 post by Jiminia.  Here's what he said, for readers' convenience:

01-11-12: Jiminia
My upgrade kit arrived a couple of weeks ago. The upgrade process was no problem. My DAC is an early one, and there were a few details that didn't match the video or booklet, but it didn't create any problems. The DAC upgrade in my view is a subtle improvement, but worth the money to an audiophile looking for improvements in an affordable form. I would say there is an improvement in clarity of detail, most of all.

Coincidentally, I've been fortunate to be a Beta tester for Steve Nugent's Empirical Audio Off-Ramp 5 USB converter. This version, which I suspect will be available shortly, will deliver I2S to the PW DAC. It has a few technical issues he is ironing out, but holy cow what a leap forward. I've used the Off-Ramps since version 1 because of the their superiority with USB and currently use version 4 with upgraded clocks. Until now, the output to the PW DAC has been spdif or aes/ebu, which is pretty remarkable anyway. But via I2S it is stunning. The sound is more dynamic, voices are better delineated, everything is more vibrant. And the bass is better. That's what surprised me most. Bass seems to be tighter, crisper. I also have a bridge and felt that the Off-Ramp 5 via I2S bested the bridge in sheer dynamics and transient attack. With the Off Ramp 5 via I2S and the upgraded PW DAC, this is the best I've ever heard from my system.

tuberock

« Reply #31 on: 18 Jan 2012, 12:33 am »
Will the offramp 5 support integer mode? Please :D
I take it by the lack of a response from empirical audio the answer is no. :( 
Maybe their saving it for offramp 6.

audioengr

« Reply #32 on: 18 Jan 2012, 01:15 am »
I take it by the lack of a response from empirical audio the answer is no. :( 
Maybe their saving it for offramp 6.

I've never tried it.  I have asked the question to the people that know.  Waiting for response.

Steve N.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: 18 Jan 2012, 01:23 am »
I've never tried it.  I have asked the question to the people that know.  Waiting for response.

Steve N.
Why not try it yourself?

audioengr

« Reply #34 on: 18 Jan 2012, 05:49 am »
Why not try it yourself?

Time.  I have not even had time to upgrade to the latest Amarra yet, much yet try Jplay or these other things...

Steve N.

wilsynet

« Reply #35 on: 18 Jan 2012, 07:21 am »
Steve, try Audirvana Plus.  I think it's competitive with Amarra but less glitchy.

DaveBSC

« Reply #36 on: 18 Jan 2012, 08:43 am »
I'd definitely be curious about what you think of JPlay if you ever get the chance to test it out, Steve. OSX has several "audiophile grade" players, but on the Windows side there isn't all that much. JRiver is fine, but it doesn't sound any better than Foobar (to my ears its worse if not used in memory playback mode).

JPlay though I think is a dramatic improvement over Foobar/WASAPI, and I didn't get the chance to try it in hibernation/overdrive mode with Kernel Streaming, where its at its best. I think in that configuration, a dedicated Windows box with something like the SoTM USB card could easily take on a Mach2Music Mini, not to mention beat the custom Linux based servers that can cost $5K+.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #37 on: 18 Jan 2012, 02:12 pm »
Time.  I have not even had time to upgrade to the latest Amarra yet, much yet try Jplay or these other things...

Steve N.
Oh.  Send me the OR 5 on loan and I'll do as much testing as you want. 

tuberock

« Reply #38 on: 18 Jan 2012, 05:12 pm »

Steve N.

Thanks for the response Steve. Im sure the offramp is outstanding, with or without integer mode. From what I have read, it seems you have covered almost any aspect that could improve the sound quality. But it would sound better if it did support it.
It seems very few people are familiar with the benefits of integer mode. Hopefully as people become more familiar, it will become a standard for DAC's and products like the offramp 5.

I came across this listhttp://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Updated-integer-mode-capable-device-list and the offramp 3 is on it maybe the offramp 5 will be on the list soon!  :thumb:

audioengr

« Reply #39 on: 18 Jan 2012, 05:17 pm »
Thanks for the response Steve. Im sure the offramp is outstanding, with or without integer mode. From what I have read, it seems you have covered almost any aspect that could improve the sound quality. But it would sound better if it did support it.
It seems very few people are familiar with the benefits of integer mode. Hopefully as people become more familiar, it will become a standard for DAC's and products like the offramp 5.

I came across this listhttp://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Updated-integer-mode-capable-device-list and the offramp 3 is on it maybe the offramp 5 will be on the list soon!  :thumb:

Here is the answer for Off-Ramp 4 and 5:

"alas no, but it's not necessary as we get bit-perfect operation in the
standard mode."

Steve N.