VMPS Inventory for sale

John Casler

Re: VMPS Inventory for sale
« Reply #20 on: 9 Sep 2013, 12:19 am »
To my knowledge, there were no PR's left at the factory or in the storage areas.

We have worked with a PR OEM/Distributor to have PR's that not only fit, but will play deeper and lower than the orignals without seeming to reduce the musicality.  PM me if you want details.

I also have an "B-stock" 15" available from a LARGER for $39 plus shipping.

Patrick Malaga

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 9 Sep 2013, 01:48 am »
Sorry,I only have one or two proto types,and about 50 15 inch frames.There may be some cones if someone is feeling industrious.

Mike G

« Reply #22 on: 13 Sep 2013, 08:50 pm »
Hi Patrick;

Are the RM 30 Cabinets of the MLS type?

MGG

DFaulds

« Reply #23 on: 18 Sep 2013, 08:29 pm »
BC and designer Genesis labeled these "spiral ribbons" but technically a ribbon is defined by the existence if a transformer.

Not trying to be difficult, but technically a ribbon is a flat membrane that is only secured at its top and bottom and not on the sides.  So it's basically a narrow membrane that is held taught at its narrowest parts.  Inherently they have very low impedance but they don’t require a transformer if your amp can drive very low impedance loads.  You can also use resistance in series with the ribbon driver to raise the load seen by the amp, or you can wire multiple ribbons in series as well although that can cause some difficult design problems and can also be quite costly.

Doug Ravizza

« Reply #24 on: 20 Sep 2013, 11:59 am »
Hi Patrick,

Do you know if Brian saved any of the "horns" from the de-horned tweeters he used in the 1st gen CDWGs, and if so, are you selling them?

Thanks,
-Doug

Brax

« Reply #25 on: 4 Oct 2013, 01:58 am »
Patrick, did you get a chance to test the neo panels you have in stock?

Patrick Malaga

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 21 Nov 2013, 08:10 pm »
Routering for FST upgrade

Fitment of modified FST

Machined FST's

Installed PR's(Towers are inverted)

I am currently building and tuning 4 variations of what I believe were the FF-2 model cabinet. These are brand new "A" stock cabinets being 2013 retrofitted with 2 Neo panels and  1 FST tweeter.  Lets call them "RM 28's" since they have a 28 inch midrange/treble "panel" .  I routered in Neo provisions and built small enclosures for them as well as routering provisions for FST's. I have sound deadened all conical drivers and added mortite and weight to the PR's rear tuning stud. Sound coated enclosures and designed and built "minimum phase crossovers" for them.     
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2013, 10:43 pm by Patrick Malaga »

Patrick Malaga

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 22 Nov 2013, 04:11 pm »
Patrick here are the numbers on my 12" carbon fiber woofers.  X 5419
                                                                                               1056   9523
Please let me know if you have any. Thanks.
Jman0413  Hello, I have x 5599 12 inch drivers at least 12 of them. 

Patrick Malaga

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 22 Nov 2013, 04:14 pm »
Hi Patrick;

Are the RM 30 Cabinets of the MLS type?  I have 13 brand new in box rm30 cabinets. Most are black,one is maccasser ebony and two are birch.All have waveguide grilles with them.Thanks

MGG

Patrick Malaga

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 22 Nov 2013, 04:14 pm »
Patrick, did you get a chance to test the neo panels you have in stock?  I have a limited number of Neo's, I would like to try to sell them in complete speakers. Thanks

Bob Stark

« Reply #30 on: 29 Nov 2013, 02:57 pm »
Hey Patrick,
    I would be interested in one of the 10" woofers used in the VMPS RM 40s with the phase plug.  This would possibly replace the bottom woofer if it went out for some reason.  Do you have any and how much is one?  I was one of Brian's demo agents for the last 4 years in the Chicago area.

Thanks for the info,
Bob

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #31 on: 29 Nov 2013, 04:54 pm »
Not trying to be difficult, but technically a ribbon is a flat membrane that is only secured at its top and bottom and not on the sides.  So it's basically a narrow membrane that is held taught at its narrowest parts.  Inherently they have very low impedance but they don’t require a transformer if your amp can drive very low impedance loads.  You can also use resistance in series with the ribbon driver to raise the load seen by the amp, or you can wire multiple ribbons in series as well although that can cause some difficult design problems and can also be quite costly.

Yes, in theory that may be correct, in practice possibly not.  The only "ribbon" sans transformer I can recall is the long gone Strathearn (sp?) Brian used in his first true ribbon circa mid 80s (separate subs with Curl active low-pass, main tower same O.D. as ST IIa/R with multiple 6.5" mid bass, multiple Strathearn mid-tweeters series-wired to increase resistance).  Regardless the Strathearn rating, it tested .5 Ohm IIRC.  The list of amps suited to drive such load is about as long as the "ribbons" lacking transformer.

Another way to say this is any flat conductive membrane material suitable for such purpose requires impedance matching transformer to properly load (by my estimate) about 99.5% of power amps, or 100% priced below $50k. 

If we're talking about working speaker system employing true ribbon sans transformer, I'm curious to know the brand/model name.         

DFaulds

« Reply #32 on: 2 Dec 2013, 12:10 pm »
There are none currently being manufactured that I am aware of, but nonetheless the definition of a ribbon transducer is based on the ribbon being suspended at only two points, not the presence of a transformer.

The Stratearns were often times used in stacked pairs or sets(3), wired in series giving a 1 or 1.5 ohm load, which can be driven by a number of well made amps.  I recall that Jack Caldwell offered such a design in the 80's.

RobertR

« Reply #33 on: 4 Mar 2014, 01:59 am »
First image tweeters are hidden, so no comment. 

Second image tweeters are what I described, three Genesis designed spiral planar tweeters wrongly called "ribbons" by Brian and many others.  Patrick wrote "3 fst" free swinging tweeters, not shown in your images.

There's more reason Patrick's description is wrong.  I know no FF enclosure arrived from the cabinet shop cut for three true ribbons (AKA "FST").  So if such exists, Brian cut it later for special order reasons.  But frankly, even Brian would not suggest employing three true ribbons.  He would suggest one and plug the other holes as was his frequent custom.  Even the RM60 Wing with many Neo mids (6?) employed only one true ribbon tweeter. 

So why would Brian have such a freak strange FF2 enclosure cut for "3 fst" laying around the plant?  A: He wouldn't.   

I built and owned most VMPS models including FF2 SRE/BG (not neos) with Curl's LP VMPS crossover, which, surprise, had three spiral planar tweeters.  This particular par died in a flood about a year ago.
James:

I'm confused.  What is an FF2?  I have a pair of SRE FF1s with the BG mid, two spirals, and the flat ribbon supertweeter.  They were modified from the original design with the two dome tweeters and the two 5 inch carbon fiber midranges.  Is this what you mean?

wyman

« Reply #34 on: 9 Sep 2017, 06:51 am »
Patrick,

I am seeking a replacement 10inch lower subwoofer for a RM 40. Do you have any available?

Thank you for your time.

wyman

« Reply #35 on: 21 Sep 2017, 12:04 am »
Patrick,

Do you still have any ten-inch subwoofers? I am looking for a replacement MISCO OOC10W-A 1140301

simon wagstaff

« Reply #36 on: 3 Oct 2017, 11:53 pm »
Ha! Id like to hear about the RM 60s, just for a giggle, or more....

audiomagnate

« Reply #37 on: 4 Oct 2017, 09:46 pm »
Me too!