Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

Folsom

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #1140 on: 1 Feb 2015, 04:11 am »
8-32

jk@home

« Reply #1141 on: 1 Feb 2015, 12:06 pm »
McMaster Carr has copper-Nicole nuts. The amp needs a washer per post, you can get plastic ones from them, too.

I found some actual copper nuts for tattoo guns, but they're funky and may not fit.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I remember the TXV sensing bulb strapping mounts I used in the HVAC trade may of been copper screws and nuts, will dig some up but may not be the right size/thread.

Brass or stainless would probably be OK too.

roscoeiii

« Reply #1142 on: 1 Feb 2015, 08:37 pm »
Jackman came by yesterday and we had a chance to compare the XLS with and without the iTube in the chain. First off,  we weren't hearing any negative impact of having it in the chain. And three main positive contributions were present: 1) better imaging (again,  not a strength  of my system). The main contribution to the imaging was from the tube itself; impact of the 3d circuit was noticeable but small. 2) the sound was also more fleshed out with the tube. More meat on the bones. A bit richer. 3) The sound was less fatiguing. Not that the XLS was overly fatiguing,  but with the tube not in the system my Spider Sense was telling me that could be an issue during long listening sessions or with certain poorly mastered recordings.

OzarkTom

« Reply #1143 on: 1 Feb 2015, 10:23 pm »
Jackman came by yesterday and we had a chance to compare the XLS with and without the iTube in the chain. First off,  we weren't hearing any negative impact of having it in the chain. And three main positive contributions were present: 1) better imaging (again,  not a strength  of my system). The main contribution to the imaging was from the tube itself; impact of the 3d circuit was noticeable but small. 2) the sound was also more fleshed out with the tube. More meat on the bones. A bit richer. 3) The sound was less fatiguing. Not that the XLS was overly fatiguing,  but with the tube not in the system my Spider Sense was telling me that could be an issue during long listening sessions or with certain poorly mastered recordings.

Everything will improve once the Itube is cryo'd. It will almost double the performance.

And I found this interesting tidbit from a Tannoy review. Cryo could become the wave of the future for loudspeaker components if companies follow what Tannoy is doing.  :thumb:

http://dagogo.com/tannoy-prestige-canterbury-gold-reference-speakers-review

According to Tannoy, they didn’t just improve the visual aesthetics, but made significant improvements by developing “new cone materials, new high frequency compression diaphragms, upgraded crossovers and extensive use of Deep Cryogenic Treatment” on Prestige GR models. I can tell you that this isn’t just hyperbole, because I have heard the end product.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #1144 on: 1 Feb 2015, 10:32 pm »
Everything will improve once the Itube is cryo'd. It will almost double the performance.

And I found this interesting tidbit from a Tannoy review. Cryo could become the wave of the future for loudspeaker components if companies follow what Tannoy is doing.  :thumb:

http://dagogo.com/tannoy-prestige-canterbury-gold-reference-speakers-review

According to Tannoy, they didn’t just improve the visual aesthetics, but made significant improvements by developing “new cone materials, new high frequency compression diaphragms, upgraded crossovers and extensive use of Deep Cryogenic Treatment” on Prestige GR models. I can tell you that this isn’t just hyperbole, because I have heard the end product.

That's pretty cool Tom, thanks for the link.

Did you also get the power supply for the itube cryoed or was it just the itube?

OzarkTom

« Reply #1145 on: 1 Feb 2015, 10:37 pm »
That's pretty cool Tom, thanks for the link.

Did you also get the power supply for the itube cryoed or was it just the itube?

I only got my Itube cryo'd, but the cryoman has cryo'd at least one Astron. But he never got to use it.

Mojo Warrior

• Reality Star
« Reply #1146 on: 3 Feb 2015, 12:35 am »
I recently brought home a Crown XLS 2500 and have been burning it in. Currently feeding it from a DB Systems pre-amp. Sounds very good so far. This week I will be upgrading the woofers of my ESS AMT-1 Towers with Eminence Legend BP-102-4 10" four ohm drivers. While I am inside the speakers I will be replacing the caps on the XO.

Has anyone tried using an Oppo BDP-105 or a Sony HAP-1ZES as a source directly into a Crown XLS using XLR connectors?

Odal3

« Reply #1147 on: 3 Feb 2015, 01:31 am »
I had a TPA3116 with Elna Silmic II caps, Blackgate N input caps (all 4), and a nice PSU that made a substantial difference like the caps. Another one I put into a little box for a ceramic studio with some speakers that were free. My understanding is OSCON's on the 3116 might bring the detail around to be comparable to the XLS; prior to, even with good caps, I didn't get the detail when I gave an XLS a few tracks.

Overall I don't think the TPA3116 is nearly as good. But we're talking about a much less powerful amplifier so it doesn't necessarily matter to anyone. My TPA3116 sounded good, but it just didn't have the authority, the feeling of force. It lacked life for me. The character of the music wasn't as prevalent. It performs well, measures well, etc, but wasn't an amp I knew I could indefinitely feel a form of satisfaction with.

Thanks for sharing!

OzarkTom

« Reply #1148 on: 3 Feb 2015, 01:32 am »
I recently brought home a Crown XLS 2500 and have been burning it in. Currently feeding it from a DB Systems pre-amp. Sounds very good so far. This week I will be upgrading the woofers of my ESS AMT-1 Towers with Eminence Legend BP-102-4 10" four ohm drivers. While I am inside the speakers I will be replacing the caps on the XO.

Has anyone tried using an Oppo BDP-105 or a Sony HAP-1ZES as a source directly into a Crown XLS using XLR connectors?

I have the Sony but only found one of my XLR's. I will try again this weekend to find my other cable.

jk@home

« Reply #1149 on: 4 Feb 2015, 12:56 pm »
To the folks here who have replaced the binding posts with Pomonas, I'm assuming one doesn't use the back (inside) plastic spacer. It looks like you could use it on the outside, along with the other spacer, to push the post out further, as the part of the chassis the posts insert into is non-metallic? This would help clearing that little black box on the inside.

On the Pomonas, it appears the securing nut is nickel plated brass, but the star washer, which makes contact with the amp's contact point is steel. All the parts (including the ones that remain on the amp after the mod) appear to be nickel plated steel. So although this mod will improve the amp, probably best not to get too anal about it.

Think I will replace the Pomona’s star washer with a brass one. A gold plated one would even be better, maybe off another brand binding post (we all have a parts bin, right?). I did find some copper #8 flat washers on the net, so one could go there if they chose. To keep the metals similar, I guess a nickel plated brass washer would be best.

Tools for the mod are a #T15 torx bit, a 8mm wrench for the old posts, and a ¼” wrench for the new posts. I used a 2" long, 6d finishing nail, through the post's wire hole, to secure it while tightening the nut on the inside.

A close fitting spade to go with the Pomonas are the Audioquest spade connectors, either the 1414G or 1014G, depending on the wire gauge used.

« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2015, 06:34 pm by jk@home »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #1150 on: 4 Feb 2015, 10:10 pm »
The tour amp has arrived.
Sorry for the delay, I think it's been sitting at the post office without my knowing it.
I'll hook it up tomorrow after work and see what we've got.

mjosef

« Reply #1151 on: 5 Feb 2015, 03:54 am »
Looking at the "tracking information" it got to Stewartstown's PO on the 27th, a whole week after I shipped it out on the 20th via 2-day Priority...looks like the PO owes me money, by shipping it regular parcel post.  :evil:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #1152 on: 5 Feb 2015, 11:16 pm »
Who knows with Post Offices any more.
Okay, I have it hooked up to the upstairs system (Magnepan 1.7s, Well Tempered Classic/Ortofon 2M Black/Jolida JD9 w/ JJ tubes, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, everything is hooked into an APC power conditioner and I don't have the sub turned on.
This system will show up anything weird as it's very revealing.

I listened to the Tubes first album to let everything warm up and now have on a copy of Zappa's Apostrophe'.
First the good news: on this system it does everything well: detail, soundstage, imaging, strong bass, good midrange and treble.

The bad part is it sounds harsh compared to what I'm used to which are VTL mono blocks.  It's the refinement in the sound that you pay for, I suppose.
The VTLs have a liquid quality and this amp doesn't, I think that's what it boils down to.
Substituting a Supra LoRad power cord for the supplied cheapie seems to have helped quite a bit.  Owners might want to look into experimenting with power cords to see what they think.

It presents the horizontal soundstage differently; if I owned this amp I'd have to angle my speakers a bit differently as the right one is too far toed in for this amp.

It's an unfair comparison given the cost differential but that's what I'm used to.  It beats the pants off of my old Bryston 3B, DIY ClassD and Hafler and does a better job of detail resolution than the refurbbed Carver pieces that have passed through here.

I suspect that this amp will fare better on the downstairs system.  The preamp is warmer sounding but the speakers are better so I might be wrong.
I will try that either tomorrow night or on Saturday.

a.wayne

« Reply #1153 on: 5 Feb 2015, 11:36 pm »
Tried bypassing the APC .......

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #1154 on: 5 Feb 2015, 11:54 pm »
I'll try plugging it into the wall before I move it downstairs and I'll let you know.
I didn't use any cedar pucks or weights but I did rest it on a Gibson Les Paul case which made it more musical.
I couldn't resist.

a.wayne

« Reply #1155 on: 6 Feb 2015, 12:49 am »
Which VTL's are you comparing it to ......the refinement comment is interesting, it is one of the major differences between just good and  really  good stuff ...

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #1156 on: 6 Feb 2015, 01:11 am »
... but I did rest it on a Gibson Les Paul case which made it more musical.
I couldn't resist.

Nice!   :green:

roscoeiii

« Reply #1157 on: 6 Feb 2015, 01:19 am »
Which VTL's are you comparing it to ......the refinement comment is interesting, it is one of the major differences between just good and  really  good stuff ...

Yeah,  VTLs are great stuff.

jk@home

« Reply #1158 on: 6 Feb 2015, 01:51 am »
Steve, do you still have your MMGs to try this amp on? I would think budget wise, this would be a great amp recommendation for someone building a budget Maggie system.

All the other pro amps that I had tried with my modded MMGs always sounded like crap driving them, even if they were fine with my other speakers. Be nice if this one is different. My MMGs are in the closet, bubble wrapped for another day, or I would check it out myself.

OzarkTom

« Reply #1159 on: 6 Feb 2015, 02:08 am »
Have you had the amp on for 24 hours? That will make a difference in the harshness.