Peachtree Audio offerings

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Peachtree Audio offerings
« on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:55 pm »
The Music Box peaks my interest.  For $699 you get "direct digital" contact with your iPod, a reported very good DAC, tube pre-amp, and small power amp (don't know how many watts, but this is meant for desktop/nightstand use).  Peachtree offers speaker bundles for under $1k.  If you already have an iPod, you should be cheap and hopefully cheerful.

I have greater interest in the Decco2, iDecco, and Nova (even the underwood hifi modded versions http://www.underwoodhifi.com/mod_peachtree.html), but they're not cheap by our definition.

What do you think of these products?
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2010, 10:24 pm by JLM »

pjchappy

Re: Peachtree Audio offerings
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2010, 09:02 pm »
I have a Nova and love it.  However, I do not use its amp.  I see now they have a DAC only option, the iDAC.  I would love it if they had just a pre (and headphone amp)/DAC combo (basically, the Nova without the amp).  That option, with the newer Sabre DAC chips they are using (fully hi-rez via toslink or SPDIF inputs) would be perfect.

I would think not having the amp section in there would allow for improvements elswhere and maybe even keep it around the same price as the Nova.

Paul

JLM

« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2010, 10:32 pm »
Paul,

Can you explain why you don't use the amp section?  Like the Advent receiver of the late 70's, I figured that the amp section was the weak link.

I don't foresee them putting the 9018 SABRE chip in or even hi-res (at least in the near future or near these prices).  For $800 the Decco2 gives a good DAC and tube pre-amp with several input options plus a headphone amp at a good price (you could consider the amp a "throw away").  OTOH with efficient enough speakers, small room, or "mild spl taste" 30 wpc/8 ohms could be enough. 

pjchappy

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2010, 11:00 pm »
I wouldn't consider the amp section a weak link.  However, in planning my future (farther in the future than initially thought) active speakers, I bought some Class-D amps (THE Class-D amps from the Cheap and Cheerful thread).  The Class D does outperform the Nova's amp, IMO.  Tighter, cleaner bass for sure.

Paul

JLM

« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2010, 11:51 pm »
Good to know the amp section isn't "weak".  My 40 watt monoblocks driver single driver speakers, but others have praised what they can do if fed more power.

Keep the monoblock/single driver speaker in mind as a alternative to active speakers, it has advantages (amp not on board the speaker to suffer any microphonic feedback, you can still upgrade either amp or speaker, speaker terminals can be eliminated for the most direct connection).  And my speakers (using the Fostex F200A) is rated raw as flat 30 - 20,000 Hz so you're not losing bass or treble.

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2010, 03:28 pm »
The Music Box peaks my interest...

Piques.

JLM

« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2010, 08:46 pm »
Yeah, that two.   :wink:

Sam-fi

« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2010, 07:01 pm »
I wouldn't consider the amp section a weak link.  However, in planning my future (farther in the future than initially thought) active speakers, I bought some Class-D amps (THE Class-D amps from the Cheap and Cheerful thread).  The Class D does outperform the Nova's amp, IMO.  Tighter, cleaner bass for sure.

Paul

This quote is what I have been looking for a long time.

Thanks,
Sam

Mike Nomad

« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2010, 07:23 pm »
I have a Peachtree Nova too. I have read many people bashing the amp stage. I simply don't get it. I put the amp stage on par with Parasound's Classic line, or NAD's "dark grey" equipment.

My one complaint with the Nova has to do with downgrade that is done at the production point: In order to be more accommodating to crap digital inputs (read: too much jitter), the second set of digital inputs (coax 2 and optical 2) have less resolution.

My Apple Airport Express sounds better through a set of the analog inputs than through the optical 2 port.

So, if you plan on getting a Nova, I suggest you contact them first, and ask that you get one w/o the mod. I've talked to them, and yes they will do it if asked.

To anyone reading who already has a Nova: Per the conversation I had with the Peachtree folks, you have to ship the unit back to have the downgrade reversed. It is not done by simply flashing the firmware, etc. And you pay the freight both ways.

JLM

« Reply #9 on: 27 Dec 2010, 12:19 am »
Thanks for the heads up Mike.

My interest in the Peachtree stuff is primarily a question of "to audiophile or not to audiophile" (audiophile = complex, more money, better sound).