Sonore Sonicorbiter SE - Ethernet to USB and Optical output

vortecjr

• Facilitator
  • the sound has to be in concert with the music....
    • Sonore by Simple Design

DESCRIPTION
The Sonore Sonicorbiter SE is an affordable PCM, DSD/DoP and native DSD capable music renderer with Ethernet input and USB or optical output. This version has a fast multicore ARM processor and comes with a linear power supply. The unit utilizes an external 5 VDC input so you can also use your own power supply.

SELECTABLE OUTPUT MODES
Mode #1 - SqueezeLite Output - This output works with any Logitech Media Server and compatible controllers. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM and DSD/DoP.

Mode #2 - ShairPort Output - This is an AirPlay emulator that utilizes streams sent to it from a compatible source. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM.

Mode #3 - MPD/DLNA Output:
Mode #3a - DLNA Output - This output utilizes streams from UPnP/DLNA servers and controllers. This output can be configured as an OpenHome renderer. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.
Mode #3b - MPD Output - This output is intended to work with local storage. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD. This option requires a USB drive with your content in combination with the built-in Drive Mounter application.

Mode #4 - HQ Player NAA Output - This output utilizes streams from Signalyst's HQ Player running on your computer. Digital signal processing is performed by HQ Player and then asynchronously streamed to the Network Audio Adapter (NAA) output. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

Mode #5 - RoonReady Output - This output utilizes streams from Roon. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

AVAILABILITY
Discontinued
https://sonore.us
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2019, 11:06 pm by vortecjr »

gadfly

Re: Sonore Sonic Orbiter SE - Ethernet to USB and Optical output
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2015, 10:27 pm »
Hello,

I stream Tidal from my Squeezebox Touch edo/usb
to a Schiit Yggdrasil dac using LMS with the ickStream
app controlled with iPeng hd on my iPad 2.  My ripped
cds and some high res downloads are stored on an
iMac/iTunes as alac and aiff files connected by wired
ethernet to the touch.  Would the Sonic Orbiter SE
using the SqueezLite mode adapt to my current
setup?  If not what system changes would be
required.

thank you-

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2015, 11:29 pm »
Hello,

I stream Tidal from my Squeezebox Touch edo/usb
to a Schiit Yggdrasil dac using LMS with the ickStream
app controlled with iPeng hd on my iPad 2.  My ripped
cds and some high res downloads are stored on an
iMac/iTunes as alac and aiff files connected by wired
ethernet to the touch.  Would the Sonic Orbiter SE
using the SqueezLite mode adapt to my current
setup?  If not what system changes would be
required.

thank you-

It should work great for that setup.

Jesus R

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2015, 11:46 pm »
So this is somewhat like using a NUC?

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2015, 11:57 pm »
So this is somewhat like using a NUC?

No. The Sonicorbiter operating system is not available on that platform.

Jesus R
« Last Edit: 6 Jan 2016, 11:54 pm by vortecjr »

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2015, 12:07 am »
No. The Sonic Orbiter operating system is not available on that platform.

Jesus R

That's not the point, it's like using a NUC because it's got RAM, processing power, and acts as a node for the server - also called a streamer.

But what you're saying is the software is compatible with a dozen things, basically anything, because it has a special OS.

It looks like it might be the new best solution.

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2015, 12:28 am »
That's not the point, it's like using a NUC because it's got RAM, processing power, and acts as a node for the server - also called a streamer.

But what you're saying is the software is compatible with a dozen things, basically anything, because it has a special OS.

It looks like it might be the new best solution.

I wasn't sure what you meant. The NUC is an Intel product and will not have an ARM processor. We could use any platform, but this is the one we picked for it's compact size. The idea is to provide a system with plenty of compatibility as you suggest in a preconfigured and simple to use system. Only time will tell where it falls into the mix, but it is pretty cool:)

Jesus R 

Tbar

« Reply #7 on: 30 Dec 2015, 01:39 am »
Can the toslink and USB connections be configured as two independent players, or is output restricted to a single configured player?

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 30 Dec 2015, 03:47 am »
Can the toslink and USB connections be configured as two independent players, or is output restricted to a single configured player?

Only one output mode can work at any given time. For each output mode you have to select SPDIF or USB.

Jesus R

sberaha

Jesus,

Congratulations--this looks like a great device, and will be especially handy for multi-room installations given the very reasonable price.

One quick related question--is there any chance the new software, with Roon Speaker support, will be usable with an old SoTM SMS-100?

Thanks,
Stuart

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2016, 07:48 pm »
Jesus,

Congratulations--this looks like a great device, and will be especially handy for multi-room installations given the very reasonable price.

One quick related question--is there any chance the new software, with Roon Speaker support, will be usable with an old SoTM SMS-100?

Thanks,
Stuart

At the present time Sonore/Vortexbox does not have an agreement with SOtM to update the SOtM Mini Server going forward. You will have to email SOtM directly and ask them for the feature.

Jesus R

vortecjr

• Facilitator
Re: Sonore Sonicorbiter SE - Ethernet to USB and Optical output
« Reply #11 on: 6 Jan 2016, 11:58 pm »
Some updates:

1. We are starting to ship units today to US based customers.
2. We have finished the RoonReady validation process and all units will ship with the application pre-installed.

This is an image of the Sonicorbiter SE being used as a playback device from the latest ALPHA build of Roon. You can see the full effect of a RoonReady device. The signal path is shown all the way to the device and information about the device is displayed.

Jesus R
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2016, 09:20 pm by vortecjr »

agillis

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jan 2016, 01:20 am »
Another cool feature of Roon is it does all the processing on the server where the horsepower is.

I did some testing today I used an eBay special DAC that I bought for $10. It only supports 44.1k at 16 bit and of course no DSD.

I played a DSD64 file and as you can see Roon had to convert to PCM then down sample to 44.1. I also enabled software volume control on the Sonicorbiter SE this setting was pushed up into Roon and Roon Server is using it's DSP to lower the volume before it goes down to the Sonicorbiter SE.

You can clearly see everything Roon is doing in the signal path section

The end result? Still sounds like a $10 DAC but I can play virtually any file I want on it!

DavidS

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jan 2016, 04:06 pm »
I am currently streaming Roon from my Dell laptop through usb to M2tech evo and then on to a lampizator dac (spdif connection).  I have been thinking about buying a dedicated laptop pc or streamer to take this job away from my laptop as it has lots of other jobs / functions.  If I am getting sonicorbiter right it would perform this function for me using my network and also is configured to provide better sound quality for my digital audio than my laptop does?  Have I got this right?  Thanks.

David

firedog

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jan 2016, 08:23 am »
I am currently streaming Roon from my Dell laptop through usb to M2tech evo and then on to a lampizator dac (spdif connection).  I have been thinking about buying a dedicated laptop pc or streamer to take this job away from my laptop as it has lots of other jobs / functions.  If I am getting sonicorbiter right it would perform this function for me using my network and also is configured to provide better sound quality for my digital audio than my laptop does?  Have I got this right?  Thanks.

David

Yep. That's exactly what it is for. To give you a better source than your laptop and (in your case) allow streaming from Roon. You do understand that the Sonic Orbiter (RoonSpeakers) only does playback- it's not a server per se - you still need Roon running on some other PC/server on your network so it can feed the digital stream to the Sonic Orbiter running RoonSpeakers.

DavidS

« Reply #15 on: 10 Jan 2016, 02:49 pm »
thanks for that information - sounds almost like the squeezebox I ran about 5+ years ago, just usb out vs spdif out.

two more questions in helping me understand fit for my system:

1.  the m2tech evo has a driver that sits on my laptop - is there going to be a problem with the orbiter not having this driver talking to the m2tech (my lampizator dac is spdif only)

2.  how will the uRendu be different from the sonicorbiter - people seem more excited about this development

thanks again

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 10 Jan 2016, 03:18 pm »
thanks for that information - sounds almost like the squeezebox I ran about 5+ years ago, just usb out vs spdif out.

two more questions in helping me understand fit for my system:

1.  the m2tech evo has a driver that sits on my laptop - is there going to be a problem with the orbiter not having this driver talking to the m2tech (my lampizator dac is spdif only)

2.  how will the uRendu be different from the sonicorbiter - people seem more excited about this development

thanks again

The M2tech devices are supported. The microRendu will utilize the same base operating system with optimized hardware. The microRendu hardware is under development and I do not have an eta in it's release.

Jesus R

embz

« Reply #17 on: 16 Jan 2016, 04:43 pm »
Hi Jesus,

How does the Sonicorbiter compare from a sound quality standpoint to the SOtM tX-USBexp?  I have one that went bad and was thinking of the Sonicorbiter instead of a replacement.  Probably an unfair question since they are two different devices with different functionality, but would like to have your thoughts.

The SotM is currently used in a dm2800 marshall town setup w/Win 10.  It's a dedicated audio PC.

Thanks in advance,

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 16 Jan 2016, 08:11 pm »
Hi Jesus,

How does the Sonicorbiter compare from a sound quality standpoint to the SOtM tX-USBexp?  I have one that went bad and was thinking of the Sonicorbiter instead of a replacement.  Probably an unfair question since they are two different devices with different functionality, but would like to have your thoughts.

The SotM is currently used in a dm2800 marshall town setup w/Win 10.  It's a dedicated audio PC.

Thanks in advance,

It's very hard to say. We priced it very carefully so that it would be worth trying. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Jesus R

embz

« Reply #19 on: 17 Jan 2016, 03:52 pm »
OK, I decided to give it a try, I like all the functionality the Sonicorbiter comes with as well as the linear power supply.