Critic's Circle Cherry Maraschino review

RCduck7

Re: Critic's Circle Cherry Maraschino review
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2014, 05:14 pm »
3 months later since the Maraschinos have landed and i added a small update to my review...

"I have these mono blocs for almost 3 months now and I'm still very happy to have these in my setup. The control these little monos have over the speakers is the best i heard yet.
I played some older recordings this week that i have listened to many times before, so i know how they sound very well. Mostly music from the 70's and 80's.
The Maraschinos really do dig deep into the recording and let you hear more detail compared to my Class D ice power Teac amp. The music also sounds more realistic and fleshed out then before.
As a result poor recordings with noise on the background will let you hear this to. But then again what would anyone choose? To hear all the details and nuances and the noise on some of the poorer recordings? Or a muffled sound from a less detailed sounding amp?? Some say it's a fine line between an analytic sounding amp and a musical one. Then the Maraschinos do this balancing act very well."

Cheers!!
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2014, 07:24 pm by RCduck7 »

RCduck7

« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2014, 11:59 pm »
The new 60V power suplies arrived a few weeks ago. I'm happy with the quality and finish on these and they do have the 5-way braid snake DC cables.
I didn't find the time yet to compare them to the 48V supplies but first impressions are very good!
Same detail in the highs and they are even more refined in the lower mid and lower regions now to. And the flow in the music seem to be improved to.

I will post my findings when i do a comparison with 60V to the 48V suplies.

Link to topic:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=122893.msg1371940#msg1371940

RCduck7

« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2014, 12:50 am »
Update on my comparison 60V vs 48V on the Maraschino posted on Critic's Circle...

Well, i guessed my first positive observations about the 60V power supplies wouldn't be that easy to pinpoint in a comparison when i compared those to the 48V power supplies. To my suprise it was actually easy! I didn't have to change from the 60V supply to the 48V supply again and again (as with some other upgrades from other brands) to know what a difference it makes. Making this review easy to me.
I first played with the 60V supply and then switched to the laptop style 48V supply. I wasn't prepared for the difference it makes. While the 48V supply on the Maraschinos was very good, it seemed i missed a little bit of weight to the music when i switched to those again. The 60V supply gave me that. I could live with that alone but there was more!! first thing that strikes is that there was way more depth in the music. Especially bass notes and mids were so natural and with even more fluidity then before. Switching back to the 48V supply again and the same recordings (at the same volume of course) seemed a bit flatter and less organic. With some adjusting on the ears i loved the 48V supply again, i actually could live with it. The Maraschinos with the 48V supplies are still very good. When i switched once more to the 60V supply it was obvious that paying that bit more for the 60V supplies is a good  upgrade soundwise. A few more jazzy songs were played before i called it a day and it was obvious that the mood in the music gave a bit more warmth. And low notes were nicely controlled leaving voices in the middle of the soundstage. The layers in music were even more organised and lifting that veil that makes every nuance come through. Gosh, i never took for granted these 60V power supplies could do that, but they just did.
Since i listened in the evening i didn't bother taking pictures between the different power supplies. I will  take a few during daylight and post these because not only soundwise it is an upgrade, they also look nice and have a quality finish to.
Conclusion: The 60V power supply adds to the benefits of class D amplification on the Maraschinos. Mixed with the organic nature of tube amps makes it is really worthwhile. Not only hard to drive speakers benefit from these supplies.