Which Speaker

kmcelyea

Which Speaker
« on: 20 Nov 2014, 11:28 pm »
I'm investigating a new pair of speakers and I have two Decware amps a Zen Select and SE34I.4. These will probably be for the Rachel. My decision will be based a lot on WAF factor. I'm looking at three models the Super 3s, Super 7 monitors/Alinco Monitors ( which is why the XRS are out).

What height stands do the monitors need and what do you suggest for stands (brand)? Also if I end up the 3s what am I giving up when compared to the monitors?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Kevin in Oklahoma City

beowulf

Re: Which Speaker
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2014, 12:48 am »
What types of music do you prefer? 

From what I understand after speaking with Louis is that the AlNiCo drivers excel at Jazz, Acoustic and Vocal stuff and the Ferrite drivers excel at Rock and more fast/dynamic range stuff.  It's not that AlNiCos would sound bad playing Rock or vice versa that the Ferrites don't play Jazz good, it's just that their forte is like as mentioned.  I play a little of everything, however probably 80% of my music is Rock based so Louis suggested the Ferrite drivers and out of the RS5 vs. RS7, I chose the RS7 drivers.

I think what you give up in regards to the different Ferrite based drivers such as RS5 vs. RS7 is that the RS5 are faster and the RS7 go a bit lower, but not quite as fast.  Both the Ferrite drivers are more efficient than the AlNiCo's, so they are easier to drive in that regard so you may get a little more volume out of them.

I use my RS7 speakers with a Decware Taboo MK II @ 6 watts and they are a great all around speaker.  I use them for both movies and music and I also use a sub (especially with movies).

kmcelyea

« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2014, 01:03 am »
Music is all types but rap. With that said it would be Acoustic, Vocals and Jazz. Followed by Bluegrass, Blues, Classical, Celtic and Big Band (Swing)! And I'm in both the Analog world with my VPI Traveler and Ortofon Black with a Decware ZP3 and digital via Macbook Pro & Mini with Pure Music and Teac UD 501 dacs.

Kevin

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2014, 01:43 am »
What beowulf said... for the kinds of music you like most I'd go with the Alnico Monitors.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2014, 02:11 am »
Music is all types but rap. With that said it would be Acoustic, Vocals and Jazz. Followed by Bluegrass, Blues, Classical, Celtic and Big Band (Swing)! And I'm in both the Analog world with my VPI Traveler and Ortofon Black with a Decware ZP3 and digital via Macbook Pro & Mini with Pure Music and Teac UD 501 dacs.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

It looks like we share taste in music pretty much (except for the Celtic).  I have Super 7 XRS and was fortunate to get both a ferrite RS7 with no whizzer and an Alnico RS7.  I don't think they are available any longer, but it gave me a chance to compare them to each other using the same cab.  For me, the Alnico is preferable by a large margin.  I've described this in other recent threads here.  Basically I find the Alnico to excel in midbass and in "texture" (like breath, reeds, strings - those subtle sounds).  The top end is very pleasing, though more laid back than the Ferrite which I found too forward for my liking.  I'm using a 5 watt 6V6 based amp which is fine for the ~94db Alnicos.  General opinion seems to be that the top of the line Alnico, that is now the only one available, does more of what I like in the RS7A.  So if I had to get a monitor and was looking at Super 7 monitor (ferrite) vs. the Alnico Monitor, it would be no contest.

As far as rocking out....  I play blues harp and sometimes get playing blues quite loud and the Omegas do just fine.  I do use a pair of good subs, though, which certainly helps the low end.

HTH     ......Peter

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2014, 03:58 am »
Hello kmcelyea,

I have just begun to run my Super Alnico Monitors with my Super Zen Select and the results are incredible.  I listen to Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Choral, Vocals (male and female), Celtic, and Jazz.  I have not tried all these genres yet but what I have heard thus far is jaw dropping.  The 93dB rating for these speakers is off IMO, because they behave more like they are 97dB efficient.

The picture is of my Super Alnico Monitors on Skylan stands.  Seeing how beautiful the Harbeth speakers looked on Skylan stands, I thought they would be perfect for mine, and I wasn't disappointed.  Noel at Skylan is a great guy to deal with, and he has a wonderful product.

Also, check this other thread out: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=130207.0