Digital Source

droht

Digital Source
« on: 31 Oct 2014, 06:02 pm »
So I am putting together a very cheap "listening spot".  So far it will feature Grado S60s and a Dayton T-amp.  Eventually maybe a pair of Usher S520 speakers.  What I want to buy next is a source.  Ideally it is an iPod or Galaxy or whatever.  Something small, cheap and handheld that holds a decent amount of music.  I recall pricey iPod mods from several years ago.  Not wanting to go there.  But I am wondering if any of the more obvious devices would offer a noticeable improvement in sound, especially given my modest set up.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

asliarun

Re: Digital Source
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2014, 06:43 pm »
I haven't heard this, but when I was (am still) looking for a decent Squeezebox replacement, I came across this Grace Digital model. It seems to do everything that the SB Touch used to do. Plays most internet radio channels including Pandora, also also accepts a USB flas drive or external hard drive.

http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Digital-GDI-IRDT200-Hi-Fi-Internet/dp/B00395ZQMK

randytsuch

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2014, 07:14 pm »
I would expect this to sound better than the dac inside of a android device
http://hifimediy.com/DACs/android-dac

Odal3

« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2014, 11:18 pm »
I have been using the hifimediy dac for a while and it works great with my galaxy s4. It's just plug and play and no need to install anything. Make sure to check compatibility since it doesn't work with all older models. It's a huge improvement vs using the headphone out in clarity, better bass and plays louder. I like it since I can easily take it with me to the car, office and home with no need for external power source. It matches well with a Lepai t - amp or old receiver.There are better DAC out there but for $30 it's hard to beat the performance-price ratio, especially if you want an flexible solution you can take with you. I don't feel a need to upgrade any time soon.

droht

« Reply #4 on: 1 Nov 2014, 03:10 am »
Thanks for the replies so far guys.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 1 Nov 2014, 10:29 am »
I've had a $99 Logitech UE smart radio for a year (similar to the Grace Mondo).  Basically a wireless clock radio with 6 hour battery.  Great for background listening, but not audiophile grade. 

For more serious sound in a small space on a budget, I'd look at an iTouch ($199-299) that could hold 500 to 2,000 CD quality songs, Pure i20 docking station ($99, takes 30 pin digital iPod output and can output RCA jacks via it's own good quality DAC), and add active (better)/powered speakers such as:

Adam A3X ($650/pair, active, ribbon tweeter, small 2-way, single/front volume control, highly resolving/studio quality sound, tight bass/highs breathed, can fill a room)   :thumb:

Audioengine A2+ ($250/pair, powered, very small 2-way, single/rear volume control, has it's own DAC, subwoofer output)

Emotiva 4s ($300/pair - look for discounts, active, ribbon tweeter, small 2-way)

PSB Alpha PS1 ($300/pair, powered, very small 2-way, single/rear volume control, subwoofer output, reportedly used by Paul Barton himself)

Of course the really cheap/dirty route would be to just plug Audioengine A2+ speakers into the computer your typing on.   :)

Note: Active speakers have one amplifier wired directly to each driver which allows the amp to "see" the driver load and react better.  The low-voltage crossover feeds the amps and can be more sophisticated/higher quality (in traditional home hifi speakers the crossovers are fed by the amps).   The result is incredible dynamics, ruler flat frequency response, and unbelievably deep/full bass.  Powered speakers include single amplification channel per channel (sometimes both in one cabinet), so either way no worries about matching amp to speaker, filling up your desktop with components, or buying speaker cables, but the speakers do need to be plugged into a power source (shouldn't be a problem on a desktop).

pmarun

« Reply #6 on: 1 Nov 2014, 01:54 pm »
Hi,

I tried a Bluetooth receiver from Philips. Connected directly from my IPAD, Laptop and Phone via Bluetooth. These receivers come with RCA out and/or Digital out. Ran it for a whole day ,without the signal dropping and the sound quality was pretty good connected directly from the RCA terminals to my pre. I usually use a Benchmark DAC.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-AEA2000-37-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00CSJHCH0/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1414849657&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=philips+bluetooth+reciever

The product is showing as discontinued but am sure you can find other manufacturers.

However check for gain. This same device connected directly to a friends integrated did not put out enough volume through his speakers.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 1 Nov 2014, 01:58 pm »
If you can run LMS on a PC in the house, the combo of a Gen 3 or newer iTouch and a Pure doc would be great with iPeng app streaming FLAC. 

I was streaming FLAC wirelessly to an iTouch for a headphine station in the past.

iPeng with streaming is around 20, the iTouch used 50 tops and those docs are somewhere around 100.

Perfect for a C and C setup. 

droht

« Reply #8 on: 10 Nov 2014, 07:56 pm »
Thanks again for the responses everyone