BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC

werd

Re: BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #740 on: 8 Nov 2014, 08:37 pm »
I was looking at DSD downloads and noticed that there are multi-channel albums. So there must be a way to play them. :smoke:

I think I am confusing the BDP with the BDA. Unless you can get multi channel analogue through HDMI into a receiver that will play it :scratch:. There is only 2 channels using a stereo dac set to mono for dual in the
BDA3.  The multi channel signal needs to be sent through the usb into a workable receiver from the BDP. Am I missing something?

Mag

« Reply #741 on: 8 Nov 2014, 11:06 pm »
I think I am confusing the BDP with the BDA. Unless you can get multi channel analogue through HDMI into a receiver that will play it :scratch:. There is only 2 channels using a stereo dac set to mono for dual in the
BDA3.  The multi channel signal needs to be sent through the usb into a workable receiver from the BDP. Am I missing something?

You are confusing me. :?

Unless you want DSD you don't need the BDA-3, but it will do both pcm & dsd. HDMI, USB is merely for copy protection. The signal has to be converted to analog before the pre-amp, which is why I don't understand why there isn't 5.1 analog outs on the BDA-3.

Perhaps it only does 2 channel as you say. But if the dsd stream is encoded for multi-channel then I don't see why the signal couldn't be processed to 5.1. :smoke:

srb

« Reply #742 on: 9 Nov 2014, 12:40 am »
The signal has to be converted to analog before the pre-amp, which is why I don't understand why there isn't 5.1 analog outs on the BDA-3.

There certainly could be, but even though the chip may be multi-channel capable, it's more than just adding output jacks.  An additional 4 channels of discrete output stage circuitry would have to be added to the existing 2 channels of output stage circuitry, and the $3200 stereo DAC becomes a $4500+ multi-channel DAC.

Steve

tomsenko

« Reply #743 on: 9 Nov 2014, 07:41 am »
James,

Any updates on the digital preamp project? BDA3+volume control+optional analog card would be a killer product in my opinion.

Toms

R. Daneel

« Reply #744 on: 9 Nov 2014, 11:54 am »
There certainly could be, but even though the chip may be multi-channel capable, it's more than just adding output jacks.  An additional 4 channels of discrete output stage circuitry would have to be added to the existing 2 channels of output stage circuitry, and the $3200 stereo DAC becomes a $4500+ multi-channel DAC.

Steve

Hi Steve!

Though my opinion doesn't account for much when it comes to digital technology, I absolutely agree with you and thank you for clarifying that for everyone!

Having a high-end multi-channel DAC like that would also "drag" someone into a serious investment with respect to amplification and speaker and while some may afford it, I know a lot more people who really cannot and probably shouldn't, unless they want to be "irresponsible".

I think what those who ask for a multi-channel DAC from Bryston want is a more affordable version of the SP3. But the SP3 is in actuallity an audio processor as it lacks video processing so I doubt Bryston would consider something like a "scaled-down" version. Nothing they make is really "scaled-down". It might be better suited for a different application or type of a user, but it is of the same approach and therefore high in quality.

Sorry for the monologue (hey, if someone wants to listen to me, I'll go anywhere!).

Best wishes,
Antun

mav52

« Reply #745 on: 9 Nov 2014, 01:30 pm »
Hi Steve!

Though my opinion doesn't account for much when it comes to digital technology, I absolutely agree with you and thank you for clarifying that for everyone!

Having a high-end multi-channel DAC like that would also "drag" someone into a serious investment with respect to amplification and speaker and while some may afford it, I know a lot more people who really cannot and probably shouldn't, unless they want to be "irresponsible".

I think what those who ask for a multi-channel DAC from Bryston want is a more affordable version of the SP3. But the SP3 is in actuallity an audio processor as it lacks video processing so I doubt Bryston would consider something like a "scaled-down" version. Nothing they make is really "scaled-down". It might be better suited for a different application or type of a user, but it is of the same approach and therefore high in quality.

Sorry for the monologue (hey, if someone wants to listen to me, I'll go anywhere!).

Best wishes,
Antun

As people express their wants for multichannel dacs, HDMI, etc. etc...  might as well buy a decent AVR or a pre-pro for a lot less and also have video for free.   Most of the top shelf AVR's are providing 24/192 via their USB and most now are providing DSD256.  Building a DAC to replicated a product for a few in my opinion is rather costly for a manufacturer.  My OPPO handles multi-channel for a lot less, the ExaSound e28 handles multichannel at the same price point as the BDA-3 and sounds pretty darn good.  Sure these new AVR and Pre-pro's might not have the Bryston quality but unless one has deep pockets ( to add additional speakers and a muilt -chl amp) and great ears one might not be able to hear the difference for the cash required to achieve their goal.  I don't know, just an opinion and no coffee @8:30am.

werd

« Reply #746 on: 9 Nov 2014, 02:02 pm »
I was looking at DSD downloads and noticed that there are multi-channel albums. So there must be a way to play them. :smoke:

Sung to "TNT"

I'm DSD I'm Dynamite
I'm DSD I'm going to win that fight
I'm DSD I'm a power load
I'm DSD watch me explode...  :lol:
Actually who cares about 2ch DSD if you have to ghetto it with usb.  If it doesn't come over rca or xlr ...meh

Phil A

« Reply #747 on: 9 Nov 2014, 04:32 pm »

As people express their wants for multichannel dacs, HDMI, etc. etc...  might as well buy a decent AVR or a pre-pro for a lot less and also have video for free.   Most of the top shelf AVR's are providing 24/192 via their USB and most now are providing DSD256.  I don't know, just an opinion and no coffee @8:30am.

I agree - my opinion is the same.  That's why several years back I went to a preamp with HT Bypass and while I prefer 2-channel most of the time, it is easy to do multi-channel when you want to.  I have outboard amps for the front 3 channels and the receiver is fine for the surrounds.  At one point in an old house, I had a 2-channel amp and a 3-channel amp.  Digital technology changes more rapidly than analog.  It's easy for me to take that receiver and rotate it to one of the secondary systems and then rotate what's in that secondary system to another and have upgrades in more than one system when I get a new receiver.

I think that Bryston has come out with a nice DAC offering that can even do 4xDSD, which, is just theory at this point.  Kudos to them to release something with that much capability in addition to the traditional Bryston reliability.

ebogda01

« Reply #748 on: 25 Nov 2014, 05:02 pm »
Having ordered the BDA-2/BDP-2 combo have just learned about the BDA-3 coming to the market in 2 months... Hence the question - why not post such announcement on your website (www.bryston.com)? I understand, that communication about the new products can disrupt sales of existing ones, but you can always offset it by offering something to the customer who decides to go with a product being phased out... I understand that BDA-2 will probably sound not worse... but can't get rid of the feeling that I've been cheated

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #749 on: 25 Nov 2014, 05:18 pm »
Having ordered the BDA-2/BDP-2 combo have just learned about the BDA-3 coming to the market in 2 months... Hence the question - why not post such announcement on your website (www.bryston.com)? I understand, that communication about the new products can disrupt sales of existing ones, but you can always offset it by offering something to the customer who decides to go with a product being phased out... I understand that BDA-2 will probably sound not worse... but can't get rid of the feeling that I've been cheated

Hi

We usually do not post it on the website till the product is available but maybe we should rethink that.

The BDA2 is not being phased out though so not sure why you feel cheated?

james

Phil A

« Reply #750 on: 25 Nov 2014, 06:01 pm »
Hi

We usually do not post it on the website till the product is available but maybe we should rethink that.

james

James, perhaps when a new product has been decided upon a 'coming soon' section can be put on the website.  Whether that's a DAC or CD player, the way digital changes, it lets potential customers know before they make another purchase.  There's nothing wrong with qualifying a picture with the word 'prototype' or indicating features listed are preliminary and subject to change or indicating the expected first demos are at a particular audio show.  When it comes to digital things I find myself trying to keep up with changes more so than with other products and trying to figure out what to pull the trigger on and what to wait on.  Right now for a secondary system that is primarily used for HT or daytime TV like football I'm on hold waiting to see DTS UHD announcements in receivers as I don't want to buy something and then feel like I pulled the trigger too soon.

mav52

« Reply #751 on: 25 Nov 2014, 06:26 pm »
James, perhaps when a new product has been decided upon a 'coming soon' section can be put on the website.  Whether that's a DAC or CD player, the way digital changes, it lets potential customers know before they make another purchase.  There's nothing wrong with qualifying a picture with the word 'prototype' or indicating features listed are preliminary and subject to change or indicating the expected first demos are at a particular audio show.  When it comes to digital things I find myself trying to keep up with changes more so than with other products and trying to figure out what to pull the trigger on and what to wait on.  Right now for a secondary system that is primarily used for HT or daytime TV like football I'm on hold waiting to see DTS UHD announcements in receivers as I don't want to buy something and then feel like I pulled the trigger too soon.

Pretty much agree with Phil.  James on your site, the main page you have on the far right "Latest News,  for instance:   Soon to be released the BDA-3 DAC supporting DSD,  projected release date 2015.  Details to follow

ebogda01

« Reply #752 on: 25 Nov 2014, 10:29 pm »
Hi

james
Hi, James
Exactly due to the reasons explained by Phill - digital products get changed/upgraded much more often as the hardware is developing fast. Hence most owners will opt to upgrade at certain point of time. The moment a new one hits the market, the re-sale price of the "old" one drops... If I new the new one is coming to the market I'd have waited and invested into a product that will drop in price rather later, than earlier.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #753 on: 25 Nov 2014, 10:46 pm »
Yes but the BDA3 is not replacing the BDA2 - so not sure I understand?

james

Phil A

« Reply #754 on: 25 Nov 2014, 11:05 pm »

james

James, if someone is the market for a DAC and wants DSD as an example, then notice of the pending product release would make their decision easier.  If someone wanted DSD, they might buy something other than Bryston as well.  The long thread on the CD player is another example.  Someone might want a CD player (perhaps someone not a member or looking at Audio Circle) and go off and buy a CD player (assuming of course that Bryston will make another CD player).  Not everyone follows Audio Circle or even forums either closely or as a member.  As a former Admin on a HT site, I've gotten into the practice of following this stuff.  I am not sure what it hurts to have a little upcoming product news once the decision has been made by Bryston to make it and it has been announced all over.

Xinon

« Reply #755 on: 26 Nov 2014, 11:22 am »
New products come all the time regardless.
You can choose to buy now, or wait forever.
Bda2 is a great dac, an no need to feel cheated.
I still have the Bda1, and that is also a great dac and very similar to my Bda2 in soundquality.
Some might even like the 1 better, itsis more dynamic and detailed, and like older Bryston design more in ya face.
If the new Bda3 has the same output amp, I bet the soundquality will be very similar to Bda2 if You use same file.
I want the new 3 myself to play DSD files from my Auralic Aries, if You dont play DSD you dont need it imho.

ebogda01

« Reply #756 on: 26 Nov 2014, 02:37 pm »

james

James,
This is the kind of discussion I don't want to have. Your company does manufacture great products that many people enjoy. I will as well I hope. At the same time I'm sorry to hear that you "don't understand". Or pretend/choose not to understand? Other people do. Shall I remind you what happened to BDP-1 which was not supposed to be discontinued after the launch of BDP-2?

I'm afraid you're underestimating the impact of what a person of your position in the industry says/writes. I guess, if your answer were something like : " I understand your concern, sorry that the news were not well published, we'll take an effort next time..." or something else comforting rather than defensive... It would have been much better for your image and the image of your company. Thank you!
And happy Thanksgiving!

Rod_S

« Reply #757 on: 26 Nov 2014, 05:15 pm »
I see where James is coming from and why he said he didn't understand. Th BDA-2 isn't going anywhere and as stated in this or maybe another thread audibly will still be very similar to the BDA-3 if not equivalent. So if one has no need for DSD why would you want to spend another grand for something that isn't going to give you a step up audibly. Seems silly.

On the other hand for those in the market for a DAC with DSD capability they would have looked elsewhere because they would not have known a DSD capable DAC was forthcoming since there is no mention on the website and they may not have caught the news as posted on this and other on-line sites.

Phil A

« Reply #758 on: 26 Nov 2014, 05:26 pm »
I see where James is coming from and why he said he didn't understand. Th BDA-2 isn't going anywhere and as stated in this or maybe another thread audibly will still be very similar to the BDA-3 if not equivalent. So if one has no need for DSD why would you want to spend another grand for something that isn't going to give you a step up audibly. Seems silly.

On the other hand for those in the market for a DAC with DSD capability they would have looked elsewhere because they would not have known a DSD capable DAC was forthcoming since there is no mention on the website and they may not have caught the news as posted on this and other on-line sites.

As I noted I don't see once that announcement is made, I don't why it can't be listed under the latest news.  mav52 posted an announcement of the BDA-3 a month ago that was listed on another site.  I do understand when something is under development at a certain point in that development why something would not be listed on a website.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #759 on: 26 Nov 2014, 05:59 pm »
Hi

I will give it more thought but maybe some kind of 'trade up' program over some specified period of time makes some sense?

james