Sardonyx Center Channel Matching With Von Schweikert VR4 Gen II's ??

smilach

A Sardonyx center channel is for sale in my home state of Wisconsin.  Currently I am running Von Schweikert VR4 Gen II's for my left and right channel.  Any opinions on whether the Sardonyx would blend with the Von Schweikerts or would they sound far too different??

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
A Sardonyx center channel is for sale in my home state of Wisconsin.  Currently I am running Von Schweikert VR4 Gen II's for my left and right channel.  Any opinions on whether the Sardonyx would blend with the Von Schweikerts or would they sound far too different??

It's been awhile since I've heard the VR4's but I think the Sardonyx would blend well with them. The key is having a center that's neutral and has good coverage.

kernelbob

I would stay  within the VSA family of speakers and use a VSA center.  I'm a two channel guy, though, preferring to maximize two speakers instead of 5 or 7.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
I would stay  within the VSA family of speakers and use a VSA center.  I'm a two channel guy, though, preferring to maximize two speakers instead of 5 or 7.

Of the two centers the Visiun is the better choice. The LCR-4's horizontal MTM is not going to give optimal horizontal coverage.

roscoeiii

Of the two? There are a number of VSA center speakers.

Like a previous poster, I would recommend staying within the VSA family to keep the speakers' voicing consistent. If there weren't VSA center speakers available, that would be a different story. You wouldn't buy a left and right speaker from different companies would you?

In all things audio, synergy is everything. Sticking with the same speaker company is one pretty safe way to have synergy.

It may well be that the Selah offers better horizontal coverage, but that is just one factor among many in speaker selection.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
Of the two? There are a number of VSA center speakers.

Like a previous poster, I would recommend staying within the VSA family to keep the speakers' voicing consistent. If there weren't VSA center speakers available, that would be a different story. You wouldn't buy a left and right speaker from different companies would you?

In all things audio, synergy is everything. Sticking with the same speaker company is one pretty safe way to have synergy.

It may well be that the Selah offers better horizontal coverage, but that is just one factor among many in speaker selection.

I went to the VS website and those were the only two current models listed.

dougme57

I was in the same situation with trying to find a larger center for my theater. I wanted to match my ACI mains (Sapphire lll LE's) and decided to go with the big Aperion as it had kevlar drivers and soft dome tweeter. I could not be happier; left to right is seamless and the voicing is very close.

I have a big room and had no option but to use a different brand, do your due dilligence and pull the trigger.

smilach

I never cared for Albert's marketing hyperbole but felt the early iterations of the VR-4 offered outstanding performance for the dollar.  I don't question Albert's knowledge but I do question Albert's ever-increasing marketing hype and the ever-rising prices that put his products outside my reach.  Since this isn't the VSA forum I will leave it there.

- I think Rick's designs offer a far better performance/price ratio than VSA.
- Rick will work with you to determine the best speaker for your needs and modify a design if needed.
- Rick's annual income needs to move closer to Albert's!  :thumb:

roscoeiii

smilach,

You have a PM from me about a VSA center speaker that was matched with VR-4s. Your money your call. But let me know if you are interested. Never got around to listing the VSA HT gear I can no longer use.

Maybe Selah will be better, maybe not. Your call on which you want to try.

FireGuy

I was in the same situation with trying to find a larger center for my theater. I wanted to match my ACI mains (Sapphire lll LE's) and decided to go with the big Aperion as it had kevlar drivers and soft dome tweeter. I could not be happier; left to right is seamless and the voicing is very close.

I have a big room and had no option but to use a different brand, do your due dilligence and pull the trigger.

I too was in a similar situation with (center channel) room and placement issues.  The Aperion 5C was the perfect choice.  It's integration with the Axiom M22 mains is surprisingly coherent for the dissimilar arrangement.  For the price Aperion's fit and finish is superb. 

PDR

• May the best man win
Probably more important to match if your listening to SACD or some other multi channel music more often than not....by the way, what ever happened to....nevermind.....

I've had a Sardonyx for years now in my HT, its going nowhere....

dougme57

I have the Verus Grand Center and it is amazing. Has me thinking about their towers.

Johnbr

The center that was designed to go with the VR-4 is the no longer made LCR-50. 

cronsell

I've been using a Sardonyx successfully with my VR-4 originals...to my ears it's an excellent match, and the Sardonyx is by far the best sounding center channel I've heard in any system.