Planning an Austin meet for Sat., April 4th, 1:30 PM

KCI-JohnP

Re: Planning an Austin meet for Sat., April 4th, 1:30 PM
« Reply #20 on: 24 Mar 2009, 12:39 pm »
Scott,

This sounds like fun, I hope to attend. Let me tell you, if Lee brings his "big amp" you are in for a treat!! What a delicate beast! :thumb: :thumb:

John

soliver

« Reply #21 on: 25 Mar 2009, 05:05 pm »
Good to here from you John, and glad you will be able to make it. 

I am bubbling with anticipation today, as I am hoping today I will be picking up my top plate for my Turntable from Ne Plus Ultra, also I ordered on a whim a PS Audio Soloist Premier that is on the FedEx truck for delivery right now.  Who knows if the Soloist will help my sound at all, but it seemed like a route I had to try if I was considering upgrading my wall outlets, and with their no risk 30 day return policy.

I am going to start a head count for the meet:
JohnP
Nick77
gitarrtyp
audio_builder
FredT
Se7en
Delacroix

Others that I have extended an invite to outside of Audiocircle that I need to confirm with:
GShelley
ALindsey
MBerendt
JFrech
BBlaylock

That totals 13, which will equate to probably 10 attending, that would be a good full group.
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2009, 06:10 pm by soliver »

arthurs

« Reply #22 on: 25 Mar 2009, 05:22 pm »
Scott, business travel will prevent me from being able to attend.  I appreciate the invite and hope you guys have a blast!

Delacroix

« Reply #23 on: 26 Mar 2009, 04:26 am »
Not sure if you still want gear but I could bring some stuff perhaps = I have a BAT VK500 that I am going to trade or move on soon -- it's fabulous but fabulously heavy too so be careful, I'll request help if people want me to haul this along. Could also give you all a listen to a NuForce pre-power combo I have in for review IF Nuforce are ok with this, I'll have to check....am also happy to bring a couple of Virtual Dynamic PCs if there's some interest in trying these but the switching in and out is not for the faint-hearted :) My memory of Gabe's event is that there was so much gear it became impossible to listen to everything, so I left what I had at the gig in the car (another review piece). Let me know if any of this is of interest or if you need anything else to ease the hosting (drinks, snacks etc.)

Best

D.

soliver

« Reply #24 on: 26 Mar 2009, 01:04 pm »
Thanks Delacroix.

So gear that is on the table as potential inserts:
Lee's DIY PP 211 amp
Lee's homebrewed IC and PC
Parasound JC-1's (not sure they are even on the table, but please do not bring them. too big)
BAT VK 500
Nuforce pre and power combo
VD David PC's
KCI Kables (not yet offered but I am sure John would bring some if asked)

Between the DIY 211, BAT, and Nuforce, I think 2 is the maximum we should have here.
I have heard the DIY 211 here before, but it is an intriguing amp that others should hear as well.  Then again it is huge with big exposed tubes and lots of voltage. With a decent crowd plus one drunk stumble, and we could have Fried Human.
I have also heard the BAT VK600, but not in my system.  You are looking to move it, so having a crowd hear it in person would be a good thing.  I am not a SS guy in any way, but it would provide an interesting contrast.
Nuforce, again would be an interesting comparison, but would require lots of cable wrangling.  Also no vinyl would be able to be played due to a lack of phonostage.

So I am torn, anyone else want to chime in on their preference?

As for cables, go ahead and bring everything listed above.  It is not a big deal to install them for a song or two.  I say a song or two, because I am exteremly confident in the performance of the Argento stuff.  Yes, I am throwing down my gauntlet.   :lol:

audio_builder

Bring it on
« Reply #25 on: 26 Mar 2009, 03:52 pm »
I like a challenge. 

I am preparing a power cord of epic proportion using only the finest materials found at Wal-Mart and Home Depot. It is sleek and black and can suck large amounts of money right out of your bank account  The power cord uses all the cable technology available including Snake oil, Quantum purification, Ferry dust, and Nanotubes.  It is so tuff and stiff that it can not be bent or shaped around audio gear.  It uses quintuple shielding with natural and unnatural materials.  Because of its girth, I will need some help bringing it into the house and setting it up.  System break-in, with the epic power cord, should be a short 500 hours.  Because of the enormous drain on the environment, only one of these epic power cords will be build, unless someone actually offers me money for it.  Be prepared to be amazed, Scott has a good system.

I predict it will be a good battle, but in the end the Argento will go back to Denmark with it’s IEC between its legs.

Dam I need to find another hobby. Lee

soliver

« Reply #26 on: 26 Mar 2009, 09:37 pm »
I am just sayin'

Speaking of fairy dust, Aaron has given the name The Warlock to Ulrik at Argento Audio.  All of our scientific listening over margaritas has us convinced he must be just waving a magic wand over each cord and "Presto!" Magic power cord! :P

In all seriousness though I brought my Argento FMR to Aaron's place Tuesday night, as well as my SET tube monoblocks. 

So the FMR went on Aaron's CD player and was head to head against a LessLoss DFPC, which is a pretty nice cord.

My Wyetech amps were being compared against Bel Canto Ref1000's.

So two power cords which are more similar than different, slight variations.
And then two amps that couldn't be much further apart on methodology and topology.  500-1000 watts vs 13 watts.  Digital amps vs tubes.  Class D vs Class A.

Well the difference between the two powercords was quite significant.
Amps, very tough to call, in the end both of us slightly prefered the tubes.

So yeah it must be some fairy dust, as that was quite interesting to wrap one's head around.

audio_builder

« Reply #27 on: 27 Mar 2009, 11:38 pm »
The power cord is finished and burning in as I write this.  It is so stiff and straight that I could use it for a ruler.  That is the first sign that this is going to be a wonderful power cord.  The electricity will just shoot out the other side.   I am going to have the power cable irradiated tomorrow to help speed up the burn in process.  It will be primed and ready for Saturday.  Sleep well Argento. :icon_twisted:

audio_builder

« Reply #28 on: 30 Mar 2009, 03:17 am »
Luckily the fire was easy to put out.  I am glad the power cord is black.  Just a little cleaning and some more electrical tape and the cord should be good as new.  :thumb:

On the bright side, now it is really burned in.

I can’t wait to hear it on Scott’s system.

audio_builder

« Reply #29 on: 31 Mar 2009, 01:16 am »
The power cable is cursed!  First the fire, now the monkey.  Apparently monkeys like the smoky taste of PVC.  He chewed on the cord.  :duh: Luckily he did not get electrocuted because he could not chew through the titanium final shield. 

Sonically, the cable sounds better than ever.  I wonder if the high heat and monkey saliva are the key?

Oh well, back to Wal-Mart for some more electrical tape.  It should be good as new for Saturday.

soliver

« Reply #30 on: 31 Mar 2009, 02:04 am »
Monkeys and Stereos, just should not play together.

So do we have any defectors from my attendee list above?

FredT300B

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 31 Mar 2009, 10:49 am »
Monkeys and Stereos, just should not play together. So do we have any defectors from my attendee list above?

My wife says I can still come so long as I don't touch any of audiobuilder's toys. When I told her about the monster amp and the epic power cord she muttered something about the dangers of high plate voltages along with the hazards of using power cords that aren't built out of Stereophile-approved materials. And then she told me from this point forward I am limited to solid state equipment whose output devices operate at no more than 30 volts. So it's goodbye to my parallel 6C33CB Audio Mirror SET monoblocks.

My new system:

soliver

« Reply #32 on: 31 Mar 2009, 09:58 pm »
YES, the top plate is installed and things are dialed in.

Although I am probably jinxing myself by posting this before playing an album.

soliver

« Reply #33 on: 31 Mar 2009, 11:05 pm »
My attempts to post new pictures from my gallery failed miserably.

But anyhow, the turntable is sounding pretty nice.

My biggest problem is that PS Audio Premier Soloist, it still probably needs more break-in.  But I am getting close to having to make a call to remove it for the meet.

So far I think it might help in some hi-fi ish ways, but I think my system ahs lost some of its intimacy and naturalness, two traits I value highly.

Well I have until the 20th to make a call on it, but for the meet I may have to uninstall it unless it improves between now and Saturday.

Nick77

« Reply #34 on: 31 Mar 2009, 11:13 pm »

« Last Edit: 1 Apr 2009, 12:38 am by Nick77 »

soliver

« Reply #35 on: 1 Apr 2009, 12:34 am »
Thanks for the assist.

The one of particular interest to me is the one that has screws in the base of my tonearm photographed, finally.

soliver

« Reply #36 on: 2 Apr 2009, 11:54 am »
OK, I just sent everyone who has stated they planned to come either a private message or an email with directions. 

Please contact me if you by chance didn't get anything.

I started the tequila infusion process last night.

And my vinyl system has been running the past two days, probably could still use a little tweaking but it is sounding pretty good.

soliver

« Reply #37 on: 3 Apr 2009, 08:33 pm »
Pretty quiet around here, and not much response to my emails or PM's.

Oh well, more space, food, and margaritas to go around.

I hope everyone can make it.

Food and drinks are covered.  Only drink not really covered is beer, and as for soda I was going to pick up some Diet Coke cans only.

Unless you are planning to bring some of the gear listed in the above post, just bring some good Cd's or Lp's to share with the group.

Nick77

« Reply #38 on: 3 Apr 2009, 08:37 pm »
Thanks for hosting, looking forward to it.

audio_builder

« Reply #39 on: 3 Apr 2009, 10:28 pm »
I can bring the monkey?  aa