Dallas Audio Club meeting - 25 April 2009 noon-6pm.

oscar

Just a heads-up.

Dallas Audio Club was looking for another venue so I offered my Living room for a very reasonable rental fee. We're trying to iron out which Saturday in later part of April or May.  So... vote early and often on preferred weekends.

Someone's already offered to bring over a pair of Von Schweikert Unifield-3 speakers to listen to which could be very interesting.
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2009, 11:43 pm by oscar »

oscar

Re: DAC meeting in works ??
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2009, 01:03 am »
Okay, we set a date.

Saturday, April 25 - noonish (or earlier) to whenever.  Most have already heard my system but I'm leaving two (2) rooms open for "visitor" setups.

arthurs

« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2009, 02:29 pm »
Who is in the DAC Oscar?  Sounds like fun, I'll circle the date!

oscar

« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2009, 08:07 pm »
I'm lousy with names and don't go very often to DAC meetings (maybe twice in past 2 years).  Jim Rivers (retired?), Ken. L, Russ, Dodd, etc... a whole bunch of others, most probably involved with the Lone Star Bottleheads. Three (3) years ago, I hosted a meeting where a bunch of Tube DIYers showed up.

They were looking for a venue (hotel conference room?) so I volunteered.  This time, I'm going to try to get a bedroom cleared out for "guest" systems.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2009, 11:54 pm »
Oscar, keep us updated.

oscar

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2009, 05:02 pm »
Still six (6) Saturdays away.  I have this silly notion I'm going to be able to work on some HT room upgrades prior to that date.  HT room hasn't changed since the last meeting other than a new pair of JLAudio "Fathom" F113 subs, an estate sale Beogram 3400 TT impulse buy (but no phonostage (!) yet), and Dodd's battery powered preamp. I'd like to try out his battery phonostage preamp but $$$$ ( I blew my wad on one of the last of the Pioneer Kuro Plasmas).

Still looking good for a "guest appearance" Living room setup which will include a pair of Von Schweikert Unifield-3s, Electrocompaniet CD player & Integrated amp with MIT cabling.  I've never heard the Unifield-3s so this would be personally quite interesting.

Definite culture clash if the DIY Tubers show up.

This time, I'll make two (2) bedrooms available for alternate system setups if enough gear shows up.  I'd like to put together a list of what folks might be bringing for planning purposes (e.g. last minute run to Lowe's for lamp cord speaker wire).  :)

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2009, 07:38 pm »
... I'd like to try out his battery phonostage preamp but $$$$

I bet you could talk Gary into bringing one to tempt you with.  Ask him about his latest hybrid amp prototype.  He thinks it may exceed even the Big Blue monsters.! :o

oscar

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2009, 09:05 pm »
I'd like to see Dodd's big blue monsters.  But I expect those would be a bit inconvenient to lug around.  Same with the hybrids ??

oscar

« Reply #8 on: 10 Apr 2009, 12:09 am »
16 days away. Time to attempt a probably fruitless effort to get a headcount/equipment inventory ?  (last time there were 20 more bodies and gobs of DIY gear than had RSVP'ed).

Unifield-3s are arriving the Friday before so I can try it out in my system.  Then we'll probably move it Saturday morning to the Living room for (one of the ?) guest setups.  Solid state front ends to start with but I'm hoping to be able to experiment with tube gear with these (88db/8 ohm) speakers (hint).  A bit small for the 25x20 room so I'm debating the merits of adding a sub to "help out" (or even moving them to the 9x11 bedroom).

One (and  a half) bedrooms will be cleared out in case other speakers/systems show up.

marvda1

« Reply #9 on: 10 Apr 2009, 02:04 pm »
hello oscar, count me in.  i can bring the belles preamp again for another round with the dodd.
marvin

marvda1

« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2009, 10:29 pm »
oscar, any more details about equipment that will be there?

oscar

Re: Dallas Audio Club meeting - 25 April 2009 noon-6pm.
« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2009, 12:14 am »
Details:
April 25, noon-6pm (other times negotiable, my Unifield-3 audition starts at 10-11am (hopefully))
1604 Ridgmar Boulevard
Fort Worth, TX 76116
817-569-9315

BYOB, I'll have horse ovaries (sp?) to start, cater munchies (pizza? wings ? subs ?) on-demand. Money jar will be out.
I'm expecting between 5 and 50 people based on previous audiophile RSVP activity with open-ended meetings.  I'd still like to have an idea of folks/equipment showing up.

It's an informal gathering, I'll have 20x25 room which is open, we'll start with Unifield-3 speakers, Electrocompaniet gear, MIT cabling to start.
My system is in a 26x19 room (Vienna Acoustic Mahlers/Sony SCD-777 SACD/CD player/Classe amps/Meitner Switchman or Dodd preamp/low end semi-working TT)

11x12 empty bedroom available if folks want to start a third setup.  I'll only have Home-depot caliber ICs and lamp cord and whatever anyone else brings if we go this route.

Looks like at least two  (2) "muscle" amps, another tubed preamp with "not quite committments" on a tubed amp, Class D amp, maybe extra speakers (martin logans CLSIIs ? etc). Looks like I'll even have a guy drive up from Austin with a push pull 211 amp (140 lbs). If it's anything like the last meeting at my place, a ton of DIY gear will show up.  I just don't know at this point.

maybe a TT will show up.  i just tried the "Estate sale special" and I got an annoying hmmmmmmmmmmmmm with a modified Dynaco PAS-3 phonostage. 

And for the Mavs fans, I will have an HD broadcast on one or more displays for the 3:30pm start.

arthurs

« Reply #12 on: 25 Apr 2009, 10:17 pm »
I could only hang a couple of hours but wanted to say a big thanks to Oscar for having everyone over, it was great to see some folks I haven't seen in a bit. met some new folks and the tunes were great. 
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2009, 12:53 am by arthurs »

marvda1

« Reply #13 on: 26 Apr 2009, 12:47 am »
thanks Oscar for a great time, and thanks to Scott for some great door prizes.
lee, any time you're ready to trade :lol:
hadn't really thought about listening to mit cables but was pleasantly surprised.  the vs unifield speakers were real nice sounding and thanks to Gary for bringing the consonance preamp that really sounded good after the power cable change to the cdp.  like i told someone if i had known they were going to drink wine in cups i would have brought some $3 walmart wine :lol:
Marvin

bkh

« Reply #14 on: 26 Apr 2009, 04:03 pm »
I also had a great time.  Many thanks to Oscar for hosting and the folks who brought in their gears.  It is my first time in the Dallas Audio Club.  Glad to meet everyone there - Marvin, Scott, Paul, Craig, Art, Jim, Oscar.... I can't remember all the names. 

I have a question -  is it possible to get a distribution list (with name, email and town) for the folks attending the club meeting yesterday?  I don't know if someone in the club already have such a list. Although it is definitely worth to drive an hour yesterday, I would like to find someone nearby my town for listening session.

Thanks,
Bryant
Plano, Texas

marvda1

« Reply #15 on: 26 Apr 2009, 05:07 pm »
bryant, here is a list of some local people you can contact.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=40672.0
marvin

Rutgar

« Reply #16 on: 26 Apr 2009, 11:00 pm »
Here are a few pics from the event:

audio_builder

« Reply #17 on: 27 Apr 2009, 01:42 am »
Driving from Austin to Fort Worth and back: $40
Lunch at the Dallas Audio Club meeting: $10
Wining a $500 set of MIT interconnects: Priceless

Thank you Oscar for a great meeting.  I had a really good time.

A special thanks to Scott for the great door prizes.   The cables are burning in and will be ready for a listen on Tuesday.

Nice seeing a lot of old faces and meeting some new ones.

Lee

marvda1

« Reply #18 on: 27 Apr 2009, 01:58 pm »
Lee, I bet that amp would benefit from using a Mit Z Duplex aa
Marvin

disco

• Industry Participant
    • Supra HiFi
« Reply #19 on: 27 Apr 2009, 02:46 pm »
Watch out Lee. Marvin is going to show up at your door in Austin with an MIT Receptacle in his hand  :lol: I hope you didn't give him your address.

For those who don't know what we are talking about; Lee won the MIT CVT Terminator 2 ICs and Marvin won(traded) the MIT receptacle and Marvin is trying to get Lee to trade with him.