Do power cords make a difference?

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Do power cords make a difference?
« on: 9 Feb 2008, 01:57 am »
anyone who would like to get together this weekend to listen to some power cords and see if they make a difference in sound and don't mind travelling to the great city of Saginaw, pm or email me to set up times. i have a few budget cords (audio art, xindak, vh, clarity, and thunder from Thailand)  if you have some you would like to bring you are more than welcomed.  they do  sound better after a few brews :lol:

pbrstreetgang

Re: Do power cords make a difference?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2008, 02:10 am »
I for sure perceive the difference, in fact nearly as much as RCAs. I do feel dirty spending big money on them though. FWIW I dont perceive as bis a difference with speaker cables as I do Power cords or RCAs do. You have to be familiar with your components and be honest with yourself, If you dont hear a difference I dont think there is anything wrong with those preferring to use stock cords- I dont think there is anything wrong with them at all. I also dont feel that the most expensive cords are necessarily "better" its just what works in that particular system and ones tastes.

Sorry I work weekends so I cant make it but I will send you an original solid silver ribbon Electraglide if you want for your comparisons.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2008, 02:44 am »
I have heard differences in PC's, yes. Hoped I would never be able to hear a difference, but yes, I have.

Cheers

marvda1

« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2008, 02:59 am »
i have also heard the differences but wanted to get this started to get some movement in northeast texas.

TexasRugger

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2008, 02:33 am »
Marvin,

Sorry I couldn't make it this weekend.  What were the final results?

Steve

emac

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2008, 03:08 am »
I have heard differences in PC's, yes. Hoped I would never be able to hear a difference, but yes, I have.

Cheers

I agree with the "hoped I would never be able to hear a difference" sentiment. 

Everything seems to make a difference, and that's the problem. 

oscar

« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2008, 04:15 pm »
Unfortunately (for wallets), they often make a difference, but not always for the better.  I suspect some use them as "tonal controls".

I loaned a friend a "Silent Source" PC one time, he and a fellow engineer did some blind testing against stock cables and picked out the "Silent Source" PC everytime.  He wound up buying three (3) of them for his system.  These aren't cheap but they ain't even close price-wise to the more expensive cables.

I also have a Kimber Select Palladium PC to try out if someone gets an audio PC beerfest going.....

KBK

• Teo Audio
« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2008, 04:28 pm »
I can see a well designed compensation network (lump on cord syndrome) working well for power cords, but not anywhere else.

Relatively speaking.

marvda1

« Reply #8 on: 8 Mar 2008, 05:57 pm »
well, i just finished writing a review on the audio art power cords, one with wattgates and the other with furutechs.  it will be at stereomojo shortly.
has anyone else used these power cords?  how about virtual dynamics power 3 or dcca powerwave 3?
let's get some life moving in this circle.  any thoughts on a small get together?  found a good new beer or wine lately?   did your dog die?
inquiring minds want to know.  let's make dfw an audio hotbed!! :lol:

arthurs

« Reply #9 on: 8 Mar 2008, 07:10 pm »
Well Marvin, I have the Purist Dominus, DCCA Reference Master, DCCA Reference One, the new Tel Wire, Black Sand Violet, and Art Audio with Furutech's....let me know when you guys are getting together and I can bring some power cords.... :lol:

apstoltz

« Reply #10 on: 10 Mar 2008, 08:00 pm »
I am with you marvin, I would like to hear the VD power3, as well as an offering from morrow audio to test up against my art audio stuff.

bluemike

« Reply #11 on: 10 Mar 2008, 09:20 pm »
Fwiw
Morrow Audio makes some good power cords  :thumb:

Captain Humble

« Reply #12 on: 10 Mar 2008, 09:47 pm »
Marvin,
I would have liked to have made this one but it just wasn't in the cards.
I'm running Frank Dickens, Silent Source Power Cords.
Frank is here in the Metroplex and yes I do hear a significant difference. :thumb:
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2008, 12:03 am by Captain Humble »