Purist Preamp US In Home Audition Tour

Curt

« on: 27 Aug 2003, 07:48 pm »
Hi All,

Several of us have talked about this before and I agree, it's nice to audition gear in your home system before buying. I would like to do this with all new IRD products if it works out.

This tour is for those in the market for a preamp that would like to test drive a Purist,  a hands on, ears on, compare it to anything you got limited session. But, it will have to be a limited session, we have people here at AC and others that don't come to AC, quite a few already on the list.

If you choose to purchase a Purist, after your audition, we will ship you a brand new unit from Charlotte NC. Free shipping.

I'm not sure how long an in home audition should be, any comments on how long would be required? Be reasonable, people will be waiting.

Here is the Purist we will send:

A black Purist from Japan got hung-up in Thai Customs (getting revision 1.01) and I sent the owner a new one so he would not have a long wait. This unit was a couple months old and was played quite a bit, so it's not just out of the box, it's also 115Vac, so it seems perfect for the US tour.

See the Purist getting ready in IRDs small system listening room:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=97
 (maybe this is better, shorter) AC Gallery p11 : IRD audio Album

IRD will ship to the first person on the list free, each person will pay for the shipping to the next person on the list (UPS ground is cheap). The last person will ship it to our Charlotte NC warehouse. The cost of the audition (only shipping) will be about $20. Sounds simple enough.

A deposit will be required, say $400, that will be refunded when the next person confirms the Purist is working correctly, and not totally destroyed, after he receives it. That seems fair. Credit cards work best for deposits since we can charge and then credit them.

If you post to sign up give your state/city so we can start planning the tour.

I hope this tour is in line with what you had in mind  :D

MaxCast

« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2003, 08:37 pm »
MaxCast, Benton Harbor, Michigan (S.W. corner).
 :mrgreen:

gonefishin

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2003, 08:42 pm »
gonefishin...Joliet, Ill.

beat

« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2003, 08:48 pm »
Beat- center of NM..
do you want us to PM you our physical addresses? how do you want to work the card numbers?

Curt

« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2003, 09:43 pm »
We will wait a while to see if anyone else jumps in.

I thought State and City would be OK to mention, but (after thinking) if you want to keep that priviate just don't post it. All other information we will keep private and do later by e-mail and secure web page at IRD. I'll walk everyone through the proceedure when I figure it out  :D

Has anyone thought about how long the audition should last? Please help me out with some suggestions, realistic ones.

We can start the US Tour next week after the holiday. The Purist will be in Charlotte about Wednesday  :o  Fast enough for you?

wunderlast

« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2003, 11:35 pm »
I have to say that this is a unique and fascinating way to introduce a product to potential customers.  It should be more effective than adverts in some regards, as most of the 'tryers' will become 'buyers' and will, no doubt spread the word.

You may be on to something new and innovative here, Curt.

beat

« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2003, 11:36 pm »
sounds good,
Would a calendar week be long enough? Of course I would like it to be more like 2 weeks but if we have very many people signing up I couldnt bear the wait :wink:

wunderlast

« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2003, 12:31 am »
Beat.

Nice bevel-drive Duck engine.  Is it in a bike of yours??

MaxCast

« Reply #8 on: 28 Aug 2003, 01:06 am »
I think one week should be fine.  One week was a little short for the Bolder AuditionPac that is going around.  Lots of cables and things.  One week or two weekends if one must.

skchow

« Reply #9 on: 28 Aug 2003, 01:54 am »
Would it be okay to sign on for the audition list, if one's true intent is to purchase a Sabai?  If that's fine with you I'd like to sign myself up also.  
I'm here in San Diego, CA.

Sunny.

dogberry

« Reply #10 on: 28 Aug 2003, 02:07 am »
Hell yeah.  I'm in Glendale, CA (just north of downtown Los Angeles).

I think 7 days should be enough.

JeromeS

« Reply #11 on: 28 Aug 2003, 01:30 pm »
You can add me in for the tour.  I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.  Plus I think 1 week should be enough of an audition since the preamp is already broken in.

nature boy

« Reply #12 on: 28 Aug 2003, 02:14 pm »
Count me in for a one or two week trial.

Nature Boy, Wilmington, DE.

beat

« Reply #13 on: 28 Aug 2003, 03:34 pm »
thanks wunderlast,
I wish that mine was so clean that I could stick up on a bench and take professional photos of it. So no, it isnt mine. I have a square case 900, I think that is a round case 750. Pretty sweet, eh? I love those old round cases. Are you a proud duck owner?

Curt

« Reply #14 on: 28 Aug 2003, 04:13 pm »
Looking good and growing. I'm working in the lab tonight, not on the computer, so I won't be posting anymore tonoght.

We are on schedule for the Purist to ship from Charlotte to the first audition on Wednesday. I will try to draw a tour path around the cities that will save some shipping.

We now have more than a dozen signups (a few by e-mail) and that looks like 12+ weeks(?) Are we sure a week still sounds good? Think about it and we will finalize everything in a couple of days.

Thank you all for your interest in IRD components.

scottpretti

« Reply #15 on: 28 Aug 2003, 05:11 pm »
I'd like to signup for the tour.  

Scott in Eastern, Pennsylvania.

scottpretti@rcn.com

nathanm

« Reply #16 on: 28 Aug 2003, 05:25 pm »
Me.  Port Washington, WI USA

I'm only really interested in the "Audiophile" version or the crossovers, but this would at least come from the same family of design.

Nice room Curt!  Clean and squared away! :)

A 3-day trial would be sufficient for me.

randog

« Reply #17 on: 29 Aug 2003, 03:20 pm »
Northern California

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #18 on: 30 Aug 2003, 01:34 am »
I am in Charlotte. Will I be first or last?   :mrgreen:

ptn