Call for a new NTAJ facilitator

brj

Call for a new NTAJ facilitator
« on: 13 Mar 2007, 06:10 am »
Good evening, guys!

I just started a new job in Denver today, and while I'm still selling my house and will be back in Fort Worth a few times yet before pulling out for good, I am definitely on the path toward relocating myself out of contention for facilitating the North Texas Audio Jam circle.

The NTAJ has been a lot of fun, and has helped me make a few great friends while allowing me to learn far more about this crazy hobby of ours than I ever expected.  I hope others have as well, and I want to extend my sincere thanks to all of you that have been involved over the past couple of years.

So, with that said, do we have any North Texas locals interested in becoming the facilitator of the NTAJ?  Oddly enough, it doesn't take much to keep you bunch of roughians in line, so the workload isn't bad! :wink:  Once I had the informative stickies posted, I mostly tried to focus on encouraging semi-regular get-togethers, although I confess that success was somewhat varied.

The facilitator role does place you on the council, so be aware that you will have a voice there.  If you have any questions, please feel free to post or send me a PM.

Once again, thank you, and I wish you all the best in the future!

brj

Re: Call for a new NTAJ facilitator
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2007, 09:41 pm »
*cricket* *cricket*

Awwwwwwwwwfully quiet around here guys!

arthurs

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2007, 11:08 pm »
.....tell us a bit more about the duties Brian, and how much time is required per week or month given council meetings, etc....then maybe one of us NTLB's will be more inclined to take this off your plate...once you've provided proof of your established residence in CO, anything before that would be tantamount to a coup...

brj

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2007, 04:08 am »
Dang, I missed this post entirely!  Sorry about that, Art!

Quote from: arthurs
.....tell us a bit more about the duties Brian, and how much time is required per week or month given council meetings, etc....

Maintaining the NTAJ circle is really a rather minimal commitment, although perhaps others may have grander plans than I did.  I just wanted to give local audiophiles the chance to become aware of others sharing their interest in order to allow the occasional meet.  As I indicated, I liked the idea of informal get-togethers on a roughly monthly schedule, and tried to encourage them whenever possible by requesting volunteers to host.  I was always acutely aware, however, that asking others to open their homes to a bunch of audio nuts was asking quite a bit!  (I was also sensitive to the fact that I was unable to host a meet myself until only a few months ago.)  Other than that, I tried to keep the small number of stickies up to date, and that was about it.  Required time commitment per month - almost nothing.  Hosting a jam is a far bigger commitment, and I remain grateful to those that did so!

I do participate in council discussions quite often, but that is by choice rather than any sort of rule.  There is no hard requirement, or even guideline, for a given level of participation in the council.  Some council members post every week, some every 6 months.  I will say that the regular posters are all very dedicated to making AC the best possible audio site that it can be - that much has always been very clear to me.  Opinions may differ on how to address an issue, but all seem motivated by the desire to continuously improve the site and maintaining the sense of community that seems rather unique to AC.

Even for those facilitators inclined toward active participation in council discussions, the need for those discussions fluctuates quite a bit.  The relatively recent transition to the new AC guidelines and the various issues that led to them caused a great deal of discussion and took up an appreciable amount of time.  I easily spent several hours a week for several weeks just trying to keep up with all of the related threads and write (and often re-write) reasoned responses.  (This was aside from trying to read normal audio threads for enjoyment.)  That run of effort, however, was most unusual and the only such occurrence in 2.5+ years as facilitator.  Aside from that spike in activity, even the council chamber is a place of relatively low traffic and would place minimal demands on a facilitator inclined toward active participation.  The time demand in a normal month might be a couple hours for someone that  scans the site at all regularly, types slowly, and wants to add to the discussions.

Hope that helps!

Quote from: arthurs
then maybe one of us NTLB's will be more inclined to take this off your plate...once you've provided proof of your established residence in CO, anything before that would be tantamount to a coup...

I'm surprised that a coup hasn't happened yet! :lol:

Hmmm.... proof, huh?  I'll have to work on that.  I assure you, however, that the lovely state of CO thinks I've moved.... they wasted no time in swiping some change from my paycheck for state income tax! :wink:

arthurs

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2007, 04:17 am »
I'd consider it if the title were cooler, like "Bouncer" that Bob got over in Sports Bar......

brj

« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2007, 04:37 am »
Cowboy?

Wrangler?

Cat herder?

:D

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2007, 06:33 am »
Sports Bar was a special case, I can't modify the code for every circle...