Thanks to Marvin

arthurs

Thanks to Marvin
« on: 17 Jan 2006, 02:01 am »
Marvin was nice enough to host a few of this past Sunday at an impromptu jam, and even though I couldn't stay long it was great seeing some of the guys and hearing some cool tunes on a really great system.  Just a shout out to Marvin and a big thanks for having us by.   :hyper:

brj

Thanks to Marvin
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2006, 02:31 am »
I'll second the thanks!  Marvin's system has evolved quite a bit since I last heard it (almost a year ago?), and it is sounding better than ever.  Of course, he still has as least 3 more upgrades in mind to tune it yet further... :lol:

Marvin was kind enough to answer Jampot's request to listen to some music while he was visiting - from England!  He flew all the way over to pick up a Vinnie modded iPod.... well, ok, I think he said something about visiting a daughter in the area or something, but we still got to hear his new toy!  We had the Red Wine Audio "iMod" hooked into Marvin's Dodd entry-level tube pre-amp, and it sounded great!  We ended up with 6 people or so at one point, with everyone tossing different tunes onto Marvin's CD player or Jampot's iMod.

Thanks again to Marvin for playing the part of gracious host... even if he did force me to listen to some more "single female vocals"!  :lol:

arthurs

Thanks to Marvin
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2006, 02:34 am »
:lol: I was spared the female vocals.....American Beauty was a cool listen though....

Jampot

Thanks to Marvin
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2006, 03:50 am »
Marvin and all,

Thanks very much indeed for responding to my short notice request for a get together. It was a great opportunity to see (and hear!) how you do things over here. Andy was stunned by the music you played for us Marvin,(yes Brian, including the Mary Black!).

Thanks to Ken for bringing over the Dodds monoblocs- boy they use  wole lot more room and juice than my Clari-T!

Like the look of the new room Arthur - if Brian hasn't had his HT3 s delivered by the time I visit in May perhaps we could stop by.

Good listening every one, I will watch the circle for new threads and follow your activities with interest.

Best Regards

Jim

arthurs

Thanks to Marvin
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2006, 03:54 am »
Great meeting you too Jim.  Or perhaps Brian will have the HT3's and we can do both!

brj

Thanks to Marvin
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2006, 03:41 pm »
Quote from: arthurs
Great meeting you too Jim.  Or perhaps Brian will have the HT3's and we can do both!

Sounds good to me...  it sounds like Art and I are close enough now that hitting both systems on the same afternoon would be easy.

I have to admit that I'm pleased to see some more audio nuts on the Fort Worth side of the Metroplex.  I'm happy to make the drive over to Dallas to hear some good music and gear, but a 15 minute drive or less is even better! :)

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Thanks to Marvin
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2006, 07:07 pm »
Thanks guys, I enjoyed your company. Jim get Andy to sign up at audiocircle so we can keep in touch and get him to some more jams.
Art thanks for the cable loan, haven't had a chance to sit down and do any serious listening, but one thing I do know ( thanks to Ken ) is that I have to do an amp upgrade the Dodd 120 monos made a big difference. now all i have to do scraoe up the money without getting a divorce :lol:
Jim, a question to you. How would you describe thsound of the usher system as compared tosome British systems you are familiar with?

Guys, what were your impressions of the Ipod and Dodd 120's?

Again, enjoyed you all
Marvin

oscar

Thanks to Marvin
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2006, 02:37 am »
Marvin,

thanks for inviting me.  I'm glad I had to the privilege of listening to your system. Sorry I couldn't stay very long but it was entertaining anyway.  Maybe someday I can do this again without the kid around.

Jampot

Thanks to Marvin
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2006, 08:54 pm »
Sorry I didn't respond earlier, Marvin - I wanted to play American beauty on my system bfore I tried to describe the sound of the Ushers in a UK context! I have done a google search and found only one retailer offering the high end Ushers in the UK. The 6381 model is listed as the top of a range of 3 and retails at £2400. In that price range we have a vast range of choice from major brands but (to my knowledge) we don't have our own versions of people like Jim Salk or Louis Chochos. Some of the 'old' brand names are no longer British built but come from China just like your Ushers. (Wharfedale, Mission and Quad immediately spring to mind)

My system couldn't be more different (small, infinite baffle stand mounted Quad 10Ls biamped with SS Quad 77 power amps) although the room size is similar. Clearly your Ushers went way lower than I am used to. Prior to buying the Quads (in (1998) I had Infinity 1001s which if memory serves was  a transmission line enclosure with a 12" woofer - and I miss that bass! In my office I am presently listening to vintage Leak 2030 sandwich speakers which have an 8" woofer like the Ushers so I played American beauty there. Now these are probably getting tired, they must be about 30 years old so the cone suspension won't be performing as it should but there was more bass than the Quads - still not like the Ushers though.

I couldn't possibly find room for them in my home. If I had a dedicated listening room like you (and £2500 spare) then it would be interesting to audition them. At 90bd efficient they could play with a range of lower power amps than you have and I think it would be interesting to hear them with amps which have good damping - or my current favourite, something based on tripath chips. impressive as the Dodd monoblocks were I think there is probably something with better synergy (with the Ushers) out there somewhere. In fact, I think I preferred your current Denon to the Dodds despite there being some scope for improved bass control.

Oh! that was a bit long - perhaps I should have PMed you!

Thanks again for the hospitality.

Jim