batmanslc

Curt, you've got a great pre amp
« on: 7 May 2003, 10:44 pm »
Please see my basic review in the Critic area, I really love it

Curt

« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2003, 11:40 am »
batmanslc,

Interesting review, thank you for taking the time to publish it.

The most rewarding feeling, for me, in the audio business is when I hear a customer is enjoying one of our components. We try very hard to make good components, thank you for your kind words :D

Enjoy the music.

Xi-Trum

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2003, 03:17 pm »
If you're not needing the 12 dB gain, try the mod as specified on Curt's website.  I heard thru the grapevines that it'll improve sound quality quite a bit if using 0dB.  Best of all, it's a very simple mod.  ;)

Curt

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2003, 05:37 pm »
Hi Xi-Trum,

Thank you for your announcement but, let's not get everyone too excited ;-) or possibly exaggerate the results of Purist Mod #1.

Here’s the story:

The Purist is designed with adjustable gain because IRD knows all gain is bad. Every time you add gain you loose signal-to-noise ratio, this is fact.

Preamps come with gains from +6dB to +18dB, the higher gains for older source components, low gain amps, and inefficient loudspeakers. We believe gains higher than +12db are no longer required and that maybe +9.5dB is enough to match 95% of today’s systems.

With the Purist you simply dial in the gain you need, no extra, to match your source/ amp/ loudspeaker combo. The adjustable gain feature optimizes your systems overall gain for the current music source and amp to drive the loudspeakers to max/full volume.

Mod #1 only changes the gain range, by simply removing one resistor from each channel. All signal paths, components, relays, and everything else inside remain unchanged.

After Mod #1 is applied the gain is laterally shifted by -6dB changing the gain selection from +6/+9.5/+12dB to 0/+6/+9.5dB, which can work well in high-gain, efficient loudspeaker systems.

Read/See all about The Purist Mod #1 here: (download file : “Mod #1(PDF)”)
http://www.ird-thailand.com/_downloads/_downloads.htm

Does it sound better? Well, the only difference would be at the new 0dB setting since +6/+9.5dB were there before. At 0dB I can measure a trivial change in the noise floor level (far below hearing level) but, I can’t say I hear an improvement, not with my ears in my system.

But, it’s definitely an improvement to reduce gain (again, fact) when possible.

Mod #1 gives the Purist four added volume control positions (1.5 x 4 = 6dB) if needed. High gain systems can reach full volume early, say 11 o’clock on the dial, Mod#1 can extend that to 2-3 o’clock giving improved room control and yielding a quieter low level listening range.

The bottom line:

First, let me say IMO the Purist is one of the most transparent preamps available today, an exceptional sounding piece of gear at any gain setting.

Now, it MAY be possible for some with great ears and killer high-resolution loudspeakers to hear a change in sound after Mod #1 but, I’m not sure one should expect the sound quality to improve “Quite a bit”. I think most would hear no difference and just gain better room control.

We do have one customer who has a VERY good system and much experience testing preamps (the grapevine?). He says he did like the new 0dB setting better than +6dB. Maybe he will post a Purist review in the future, after he listens long enough to really get to know the Purist in his system, mentioning his thoughts and findings. I think that would be an interesting read.

I do recommend Mod #1 if you don't need the +12dB gain setting with your gear.

Rocket

ird preamp
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2003, 02:04 am »
hi curt,

i'm really interested in purchasing the yet to be released ird remote controlled preamp.  i already have a reasonable preamp with remote volume control (n.e.w. p3 tube preamp) but it doesn't have a phono stage.

i was curious to know if you have a return policy on your products?  i'm sure that it is a very transparent preamp but i would need to have a listen in my system.

regards

rocket

btw the gain really interests me as my n.e.w. p3 and aksa 100 are not the ideal match regarding the gain of the 2 products.

Curt

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2003, 08:42 am »
Hi Rod,

I just answered your e-mail.

And, for the guys following this thread:

We have a 30 day satisfaction guarentee return policy that you can view on our website:
http://www.ird-thailand.com/order-now/warranty.htm

Thank you for your interest in IRD audio components.