Von Schweikert v. Odyssey

ajzepp

« on: 30 Nov 2005, 06:02 am »
Hi all....

I was advised to come here for some help with regard to info about these two great speaker lines....I currently run Maggie MMGs and, as of now, am planning to just go ahead and pull the trigger on larger ones. I'm trying to listen to some other good stuff beforehand, though, just in case I find something that really sings to me. I'm quite fond of my Maggies, but I have a couple reservations about going to larger ones.

Anyway, I'm going to demo some Von Schweikerts this weekend, so I was hoping I could find someone who might be familiar with both that line and the Odyssey Loreleis, which I'm also considering. I believe the dealer has the VR-1, VR-2, and VR-4jr set up for demo, so that will be my frame of reference.

What do I love in a speaker? Realism....emotion....BIG sound....nice off-axis response....and, least importantly, the 'cool' factor. Naturally both the Lorelei and VSA stuff piqued my interest based on the fact that many people claim that they have some or all of these qualities.

Anyway, if anyone could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.....thanks!

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2005, 05:18 pm »
where are you located?

Charles Calkins

« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2005, 05:53 pm »
I've never heard the Odyssey lorelie's so I can't comment on them. About two years ago I bought the VSA VR-4 GENIII HSE speakers. They are the best sounding speakers I've ever owned. I'm sure you will be impressed with the VSA line of speakers when you audition them.

Cheers
                                          Charlie

brj

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2005, 06:33 pm »
Hi ajzepp!

The NTAJ group has had exposure to the speakers you mentioned, but there has never been a true head-to-head comparison using the same room and gear (to my knowledge).

The local member with the most Lorelie experience would probably be Captain Humble, although he has since replaced his Lorelies with the Usher 6381s, followed rapidly by the Usher 6391s.

The local member with the most Von Schweikert experience is probably Brian71, who owns the VR 4jrs, and works part time for Advanced Home Theater in Plano, which sells the VS line.

I have heard both systems, but at widely separated times, and with vastly different gear driving them.  That said, I personally prefer the VR 4jrs.  However, since both speakers represent great values, the VR 4jrs should sound better because they compete in a higher price class.  A more cost-neutral matchup would probably pit the Lorelies vs. the VR 2s.

You can find some comments on the VR1s in this thread.  (There are some comments on the most impressive VR 4 Srs as well.)

As for other resources, I would definitely poll people in the Odyssey Audio circle, as you will find many Lorelie owners there.

You might also want to talk to AC member Mad DOg, as I believe that he still owns the VR 4jrs, and has also reviewed a lot of gear.

There are a lot of other speakers out there that you might want to consider, but - if you still like the Maggie sound - you are probably better off getting a recommendation from someone that has heard them.  I haven't had that opportunity yet.

Hope this helps!

Chris_B

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2005, 10:21 pm »
Ajzepp,

I audiitoned both the 4jrs and the Lorelei speakers though in different environments.  It would be best for you to listen to both in your system to make a final determination.  Overall, I enjoyed the Lorelei speakers better.  I found them more emotionally involving.  The VSA speakers sounded great and perhaps had a bigger sound but left me less "into the music" whatever that means.  They are both great speakers and you won't go wrong with either pair.

Good luck,

Chris