Bybee filters and cryo treatment

audiojerry

« on: 15 Apr 2003, 04:23 pm »
Danny,
Bybees are claimed to be effective on the positive leads of the drivers.
Cryo treated crossovers are claimed to make noticeable improvements.

Any opinions on either?

Danny Richie

Yes
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2003, 03:59 pm »
I have used the Bybee's in applications that have made clear differences that I would describe as a lower noise floor with clearer detail in the highs.

I also have heard them make a difference at the positive binding post of a speaker.

Others that have tried them there have reported hearing no difference in that application.

It may be very system dependent as to weather or not it makes a difference in that application.

I have a buddy of mine that produces the Magic Power Cables. They get several different types of treatment including cryo.

They made such a dramatic difference over stock type cables that I started stocking them and selling them.

The MPC-12's are $225. for a 6' cable.

They brought up the low bass response. They tightened up the bass response all around and made for a more open and airy sound stage with great imaging.

It also made a difference that could be measured.

See test results: http://www.thuneau.com/MPC/test.htm

I have been known to send out the cables for people to try too.

audiojerry

« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2003, 04:25 pm »
Danny, I'm glad you are also one of those who notice the difference, but have you ever tried cryo treating the crossover assemblies in one of your speakers?

I used to own the early Bybee filters that attach to the binding posts, and I too, didn't notice a worthwhile difference, but lately I'm reading that the new smaller versions installed directly to the positive lead of the woofer/midrange and the positive lead of the tweeter really make a difference, and I was wondering if you have personally tried these with your speakers, and whether you would endorse or encourage their use with the Criterions or Diluceos?

Danny Richie

Cryo
« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2003, 11:12 pm »
I have assembled a pair of Paradox-1's with cryo'ed components.

I might do it again with the inductors.

It is hard to say how much the difference was. I really didn't get a chance to do any real A/B listening.

Highs did seam to be clearer and mids a little more open. Nothing huge though.

On the Bybee's I recommend trying them out to see what difference they make. I am perfectly willing to send them out for trails.

In some applications people have loved them and raved and in some applications others report no change.

I think it worth while on the tweeter in the Lucidity series speakers in some systems and maybe not in others.

I like to give the customer the decision to make as to weather they are worth it.