PS Audio P5 Regenerator

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
PS Audio P5 Regenerator
« on: 5 Mar 2018, 01:55 am »
Who has first hand knowledge of using one?  Tell me the good and bad if any. 

The new model isn't out just yet.

https://www.psaudio.com/products/p5-power-plant/

jpm

Re: PS Audio P5 Regenerator
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2018, 03:24 am »
I got one during a period of rapid changes to my equipment and never ended up doing the kind of comparison I should have. Once I settled on my LIO it became irrelevant and moved to my multi channel system.

Since I have horrid wiring, probably done by a landscaper moonlighting as an electrician, there was improvement but I wouldn't want to dive into details. I will say that the remote control looks and feels as if it should have stayed in the '90s, but once it's set up you don't use it much.

I'm going to assume you're familiar with PS Audio's pricing / marketing model, and the used prices don't seem radically different from the best new prices. As log as they continue to release new gear that leaps up in price compared to the old, that situation should remain relatively unchanged making a purchase (new or used) a decent bet.

Yomaha

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2018, 10:08 pm »
Honest question: how important is clean power, and why? As someone relativly new to this, I never really focused on clean power until i started reading the forums at PS Audio when I was researching the DSD Sr. A lot of folks in those forums approach the a regenerator purchase like a p12 or p15 equal to or better than component upgrades.

Anyone here have more experience or insight to how regenerators enhance the listening experience?

A_shah

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jul 2018, 03:25 am »
I took a cheaper solution Dedicated romex wire  line   with new circuit breaker, PS audio Classic outlets , PS audio Dectet power center PS audio Power Cord  and finally a  couple of  PS audio noise harvesters, I already have solar panels on my house .

Verdict : ? Psychologically  :wink: I am satisfied as it my system sounded GR8 anyway Cheers  :icon_lol: :popcorn:

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jul 2018, 04:03 am »
Honest question: how important is clean power, and why? As someone relativly new to this, I never really focused on clean power until i started reading the forums at PS Audio when I was researching the DSD Sr. A lot of folks in those forums approach the a regenerator purchase like a p12 or p15 equal to or better than component upgrades.

Anyone here have more experience or insight to how regenerators enhance the listening experience?

The efficacy of a conditioner (or regenerator or whatever) is very dependent on the quality of your mains power to begin with. THEN, your system has to be resolving and refined enough to allow the improvements to be perceived. This is why you’ll read that some people say a power conditioner is absolutely necessary, while another guy will tell you that he gets the best performance from his system by plugging gear straight into the wall. It’s a very YMMV thing, but no one will dispute that reducing noise coming from any external source is good.

gold

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jul 2018, 04:07 am »
I use a couple of them and they really help my system sound more magical.  Class D amps sound much more lively and less sterile with the P5.  I don't like to go over 30%. The power is really bad out here in Chicagoland.  After 10pm things just change for the better.   

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #6 on: 2 Jul 2018, 11:54 am »
Without any knowledge of the PS Audio P5 unit.
Regenerators are sometimes:
a]  a source of noise/interference
b]  have problems with big power amplifiers that have SMPS (power supplies)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 2 Jul 2018, 06:13 pm »
I have an old 1950's house with dubious modern wiring.  I have tremendous issues with noise in my system, particularly with tube amps (which I love, love, love the sound of tubes).  I hate noise from the system drives me bonkers.  The P5 was the first thing that really, really dialed the noise down.  A big part of it is I consistently get 125v from the wall and that (along with the 4% THD riding on the line) did a number on the power transformers of a lot of tube amps I've had go through my system.

Re: load.  I have a Type 45 SET amp, a pair of 375 watt subwoofer amps, my massively oversized tube preamp, my Blu Ray player, my Auralic Vega DAC, my Roku streaming device, AND my 4k Epson HT projector plugged into it.  With the projector off, I never go above 35% capacity for the unit.  With the projector on, it's about 60%.  Plenty.

Re: Dynamics - if anything, this unit increased dynamics by lowering the noise floor, which means you hear more details and more magic at low levels, which (all by itself) increases your dynamic range.  Remember, dynamic range is not just how much louder your system will get before compressing or overloading your room.  It's also how much quieter can it get before disappearing into the noise floor. 

Video:  The most shocking thing of all was the increase in video quality.  I'm just as hard-core a videophile as I am an audiophile and the amount that the P5 improved my picture quality is rather stunning.  Black levels and color saturation went from excellent to spectacular. 

Yomaha

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jul 2018, 03:21 am »
I live in an older house (1940’s construction) in a smallish town in Louisiana. If I had to bet, I’d say the wiring is extremely dated. I know some sometimes when the AC kicks on there is a slight dimming of the lights.

When folks say noise from the wall socket, what specifically are ppl referring to? How can you measure it and what negative sonic characteristics are associated with it?  I’m trying to figure out how to determine how much noise I have or don’t have in my signal chain. I really haven’t done a lot in the way of power clean up.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jul 2018, 10:51 am »
https://www.alphalabinc.com/product/plm/

Gives an audible and numerical value to noise on your circuit. It is quite depressing to find out that some circuits are running at a low 200 value and your stereo outlets are at 1400.  I'm going to further explore and see if one side of my panel is noisier than the other due to appliances and other devices and see if I swapped sides for my stereo would I reduce the line noise.

jtsnead

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jul 2018, 04:53 pm »
I had a P5 recently traded up to the new P12 and everything the 5 did the 12 bettered it with better depth and imaging
blacker backgrounds dynamics is better also. Contact The music Room for the best deals

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #11 on: 3 Jul 2018, 09:51 pm »
I had a P5 recently traded up to the new P12 and everything the 5 did the 12 bettered it with better depth and imaging
blacker backgrounds dynamics is better also. Contact The music Room for the best deals

True.  But the P5 gets you 80% of the way there and can be picked up for $2k used.  Isn't the p12 like $5k?

toocool4

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jul 2018, 10:25 pm »
I have not tried a PS Audio Power Plant, but I know that a good power conditioner does wonders for your setup.

I talked about what I use here https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=152774.0

How it works here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI0_b0X4KXk

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 3 Jul 2018, 11:21 pm »
Tell me the good and bad if any.
I never used one of these, but I noted the first ones as P300 worked at max power(300W) all the time i.e. very hot, not know about the current units though.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #14 on: 4 Jul 2018, 12:09 am »
I never used one of these, but I noted the first ones as P300 worked at max power(300W) all the time i.e. very hot, not know about the current units though.

Those were 50% efficient at best. The newer ones are 80% or better.

You guys talked me into getting an older Premier unit. Next week.