Lone Star Audio Fest (LSAF) 2017

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Lone Star Audio Fest (LSAF) 2017
« on: 31 Jan 2017, 02:36 am »
Looks like their Facebook page is going to be a major point of contact for this years LSAF.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/LoneStarAudioFest/

I've got 2 rooms booked. My main room is going to be a pair of NX-Otica MTMs on top of dual 12" H-Frames.

My plans for the second room include X-LS Encores and LGK 1.0s. I may have X-CS Encores and/or my N3s in there also, if I can figure out how to get the N3s away from my wife for a week.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Lone Star Audio Fest (LSAF) 2017
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2017, 04:16 am »
I will do my best to get a room as well.  Dodd gear with Danny's X-Statik speakers- still a great sound for a small amount of cash.
Scott

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2017, 04:39 am »
You guys are great.

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2017, 05:02 am »
I can't make any commitments now, but I'm tempted to show up. I know it's a fun time, and it's the only audio show where it's not about manufacturers.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2017, 05:12 am »
You guys are great.

Danny,

Thanks.

I can't make any commitments now, but I'm tempted to show up. I know it's a fun time, and it's the only audio show where it's not about manufacturers.

Jeremy,

I'm hoping I can get one of your amp/Antiploe combos built in time. I've got about 6 pairs of speakers to get done first though.

Looking forward to another fun year

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2017, 07:39 pm »
Hey Norman,

You going this year?

Mike

THROWBACK

« Reply #7 on: 1 Feb 2017, 01:43 pm »
I'm leaning in that direction real hard, hoping to see guys like Danny and Folsom there. First time I have not gone to CES in many years. I am still a hobbyist in many ways, and CES just didn't do it for me any more. Capital Audio Fest is pretty good, with lots of DIY and enthusiastic amateurs. I have been twice and will go again. Rocky Mountain is close and still worth attending. LSAF looks like it will take me closer to my roots.

Maybe I'm just growing up. Used to be that when Stereophile and TAS hit my mailbox I would almost go into seclusion- - reading them over and over; devouring every word; saving old issues for years. Now I don't even open them for days and I can get through them in less than half an hour (on a bad day). Another area where the internet is giving me more of what I crave.

So LSAF here I come (maybe). Hope I can find a reasonable nearby motel.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 1 Feb 2017, 03:03 pm »
You can stay right at the Embasy Suites. They have rooms set aside for the show at a discounted rate, $107 a night plus tax.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2017, 02:08 am »
that includes full breakfast and drinks in the afternoon.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 2 Feb 2017, 02:47 am »
It's a good breakfast too, not the usual hotel continental breakfast. In addition to the breakfast buffet, this one also includes omelets to order.  :thumb:

It is a great show. A good mix of DIY and manufacturers have exhibit rooms. You can spend as much time as you want in any room and return to your favorite rooms as many times as you want. I've had people come back to my rooms 3 or 4 times at previous shows.

So come on out to the Embassy Suits, Dallas Park Central. The show starts 3:00pm Friday afternoon May 5 and goes all day on both Saturday and Sunday May 6 & 7.  You'll have a good time.

Mike

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #11 on: 2 Feb 2017, 04:04 am »
I'm booked for Fri and Sat.  Should be fun!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 23 Feb 2017, 03:20 pm »
Since Danny now has the Neo3 PDRs available again I'm going to bring my N3s also. They will be the main attraction in the second room.

Mike

jazyes

« Reply #13 on: 23 Feb 2017, 05:37 pm »
Mike,

What sub(s) if any, do you run with your N3's? 

John

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 23 Feb 2017, 06:45 pm »
Mike,

What sub(s) if any, do you run with your N3's? 

John

John,

The N3s are paired with a Rythmik F12 (just got a GR sandbox sub up and running last night). However, I have the system configured with the N3s full range and the sub set for LFE channel only.

No sub for music, HT only. The N3's are designed to be -3dB at 40Hz but my in-room response is down into the 30's so the sub is dedicated to special effects.   

I had forgot I set the system up this way. Last night when I was ready to hook up the sand box I was surprised to notice the F12 sub wasn't on even though I was playing an augmented bass track. The N3s were doing such a good job it never even dawned on me the the bass wasn't coming from the sub.

Mike

jazyes

« Reply #15 on: 23 Feb 2017, 08:35 pm »
Thanks Mike. I will have to try the same.  I listen to mostly music (2ch & 5.1 Hi res) on an Oppo BDP-95. My pre/pro (Outlaw 970) has two settings
to bypass bass management and also has multichannel analog outs. Almost forgot, my mains are also the N3-TL's.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #16 on: 24 Feb 2017, 02:34 am »
I'm about to type pretty much the same thing I typed this time last year, but...

My wife and I plan to be in Austin for approximately three weeks from ~April 20th till ~May 13th this year. I suspect I could think of a few reasons to make a day trip (or overnighter) to Dallas for LSAF.

Does anyone have ideas for me to pass on to my lovely non-audiophile wife? PM me to avoid hijacking this thread, please.

I'm really looking forward to this, and hopefully, it'll happen this year!
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2017, 04:02 am by mresseguie »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 24 Feb 2017, 03:50 am »
Mike,

I'm not all that familiar with Dallas to be able to offer a specifics but there is a lot of shopping in the area. A GPS can get her where ever she wants to go.

Hope to see you there. It's a lot of fun.

Mike

EDS_

« Reply #18 on: 24 Feb 2017, 03:57 am »
I'm about to type pretty much the same thing I typed this time last year, but...

My wife and I plan to be in Austin for approximately three weeks from ~April 20th till ~May 13th this year. I suspect I could think of a few reasons to make a day trip (or overnighter) to Dallas for LSAF.

Does anyone have ideas for me to pass on to my lovely non-audiophile wife?

I'm really looking forward to this, and hopefully, it'll happen this year!

What sorts of things might your wife enjoy? I'm more or less a Dallas lifer.

jcotner

« Reply #19 on: 24 Feb 2017, 06:39 am »
By the time of LSAF there is a bunch of stuff to do outside in Dallas. I think Southfork still does tours. Zoo. Museums. JFK stuff. West End, Deep Ellum, Arboretum, The Park over the Expressway, Meyerson, the list goes on and on. I came to Dallas in 1984 and there was lots then, but even more now. Like mresseguie says we need some input to point you to the right venues. Since you're already in Austin you may find it a hard sell to get your wife to come to Dallas. Austin is a very cool place anyway.