Do I need poly fill if I used No Rez

jonbee

Re: Do I need poly fill if I used No Rez
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jan 2017, 09:29 pm »
I'm interested, but cost of doing a large enclosure may be prohibitive. A Valencia would require 10 sheets: shipped to Canada. That would be over $500.
Parts express has a much cheaper alternatve that works well.  Have a look.

nickd

« Reply #21 on: 25 Jan 2017, 12:55 am »
Steve,
I would caution using "NoRez" in older Altec's. They were designed to have fiberglass only. The boxes are tuned very differently than modern designs. I tend to like the bass that they provide. I have a pair of model 19's and model 14's. They are not perfect, but with the right gear, the bass is as good as anything I have had in my room. Kick drum sounds like a kick drum, even at low volumes. Very few modern designs can pull that off. Danny's OB subs do it well, but they are complex and can't be placed against the wall like Altec's.

Captainhemo

« Reply #22 on: 25 Jan 2017, 01:38 am »

As I recall ,  they carry the  sonic Barrier or something,  it's not really a cabinet resonence treatment.  the no-rez's hard damping layer on  the back of the  OCF is what helps contol  wall resonence.

jay

WGH

« Reply #23 on: 25 Jan 2017, 02:05 am »
I'm interested, but cost of doing a large enclosure may be prohibitive. A Valencia would require 10 sheets: shipped to Canada. That would be over $500.

Self-stick vinyl floor tile from a big box home improvement store, 1" open cell foam from a fabric store, and a couple of cans of 3M spray adhesive will work just as well as No-Rez. It is messier and more work but the results are the same. The floor tile will tend to fall off vertical surfaces so spray the cabinet inside plus right over the sticky tile glue for added insurance.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=123874.msg1344001#msg1344001

bdp24

« Reply #24 on: 25 Jan 2017, 02:15 am »
Self-stick vinyl floor tile from a big box home improvement store, 1" open cell foam from a fabric store, and a couple of cans of 3M spray adhesive will work just as well as No-Rez. It is messier and more work but the results are the same. The floor tile will tend to fall off vertical surfaces so spray the cabinet inside plus right over the sticky tile glue for added insurance.

The non-stick, heavier floor tiles are even better than the self-stick. Heavier, denser, and thicker, more effective at damping panel resonances. I wouldn't trust the 3M spray adhesive though---epoxy or contact cement would be better, due to the weight of the tiles.

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 25 Jan 2017, 02:23 am »

Actually I don't recommend that stuff at all. It was never intended for speaker applications to begin with. It has no damper and does nothing for controlling cabinet resonances. Then it has a suspended that actually mass loads the driver like an internal passive radiator. And it tends to really muddy up the mid-range because of it.

It you have any speaker with that in it then pull it out and just put fiberglass insulation back in it and the mid-range will clean up considerably especially at higher volume levels.

Danny Richie

« Reply #26 on: 25 Jan 2017, 02:28 am »

That's pretty good advice. It really isn't as good as the No Rez, but it will get you about 80% of the way there. You'll spend a lot more time building the layers up and getting them all to stick together, but the initial cost of materials is not bad at all. You may have to break out the contact cement to get it all to stick and that stuff is pretty strong (fumes) so do it out int he garage and not indoors.

SteveRB

« Reply #27 on: 25 Jan 2017, 07:13 pm »
Steve,
I would caution using "NoRez" in older Altec's. They were designed to have fiberglass only. The boxes are tuned very differently than modern designs. I tend to like the bass that they provide. I have a pair of model 19's and model 14's. They are not perfect, but with the right gear, the bass is as good as anything I have had in my room. Kick drum sounds like a kick drum, even at low volumes. Very few modern designs can pull that off. Danny's OB subs do it well, but they are complex and can't be placed against the wall like Altec's.

Yeah, That's what I was worried about. The enclosure and the bass driver are that's left from the stock Valencia (horn, compression drive, and XO are all upgraded).

SteveRB

« Reply #28 on: 25 Jan 2017, 07:16 pm »
I've been looking into bitumen based roofing material instead of the floor tiles.

https://www.iko.com/na/products/residential/accessory-products/ice-water-protectors/armourgard/

Folsom

« Reply #29 on: 25 Jan 2017, 07:24 pm »
That's pretty good advice. It really isn't as good as the No Rez, but it will get you about 80% of the way there. You'll spend a lot more time building the layers up and getting them all to stick together, but the initial cost of materials is not bad at all. You may have to break out the contact cement to get it all to stick and that stuff is pretty strong (fumes) so do it out int he garage and not indoors.

Ya except going to the dentist sounds funny than cutting up a bunch of stuff and playing with spray adhesive, which if ten requires taping stuff off so... cheap? I dunno, pain in the ass? Yes. No-rez is so much easier to deal with its crazy to use anything that isn't going to exceed it's performance substantially.

Danny Richie

« Reply #30 on: 25 Jan 2017, 08:54 pm »
Ya except going to the dentist sounds funny than cutting up a bunch of stuff and playing with spray adhesive, which if ten requires taping stuff off so... cheap? I dunno, pain in the ass? Yes. No-rez is so much easier to deal with its crazy to use anything that isn't going to exceed it's performance substantially.

Yep, No Rez is super easy. It's all I use. My time is worth more than any savings I'd get trying to make something.

Captainhemo

« Reply #31 on: 26 Jan 2017, 12:04 am »
I've gone both routres,  a pair of N3Tl's with  commercial vinyl floor/ 1" OCF then a pair of  Encores using the  same (left over).  I decided to try the no -res in  my OB 7' ,  there was ABSOLUTELY  no going back.  The time and hassle  you  save is worth every  penny 

jay

trito

« Reply #32 on: 26 Jan 2017, 11:12 pm »
Here are some measurements using REW and UMIK-1.  The non rez measures were done awhile ago so the reference volume might be a little off. (updated with a better graph)

« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2017, 07:23 pm by trito »

Folsom

« Reply #33 on: 27 Jan 2017, 03:01 am »
I can't read anything on the graph, I just see lines.

Captainhemo

« Reply #34 on: 27 Jan 2017, 04:19 am »
I don't think the no rez is going to "fix" the response of a speaker.  It's designed to  "clean up"  the  lows and lower mids of  the response, as  previously mentioned, you'll hear  more  lower mids detail  and cleaner, more defined  bass without the resonence which can make things muddy
Being a  spacial decay graph (waterfall) shows energy disapation, you may have better luck meauring differences that way...but I'm not sure?

jay
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2017, 07:28 am by Captainhemo »

Danny Richie

« Reply #35 on: 27 Jan 2017, 03:24 pm »
To measure the difference it makes you'll need to put an accelerometer on the side panel to measure resonances.

trito

« Reply #36 on: 27 Jan 2017, 04:04 pm »
Hmm, I thought the resonance was cancelling out the low end.  I wonder why the response curve shifted.  Pretty much everything is the same since I put in the corner bass traps a few months ago. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #37 on: 27 Jan 2017, 04:11 pm »
Hmm, I thought the resonance was cancelling out the low end.  I wonder why the response curve shifted.  Pretty much everything is the same since I put in the corner bass traps a few months ago.

It can. It all depends on wavelength, distance, and the resonance frequency that the box is creating.