The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread

Danny Richie

• Facilitator
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Re: The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread
« Reply #180 on: 25 Apr 2017, 07:11 pm »
All of that stuff will have varying effects. It really isn't de-coupling though. It is coupling. And in some cases you are adding a damper.

bernardo

« Reply #181 on: 25 Apr 2017, 09:33 pm »
I’ll chime in here as I have been recently experimenting with speaker positioning and isolating the Super-7s. I had my speakers on spiked Sound Anchor bases with HRS Nimbus feet between the bases and the speakers. I installed the bases provided with the speakers in order to be able to move them around easily. I installed the bases with spikes initially to compare them with my own isolation configuration. I have a suspended wood floor with carpet. There is no comparison at least in my room with my floor. With the Super-7 bases installed with spikes I can feel the bass being transmitted into the floor and feel it at my listening position about 8 feet away. With the speakers on the SA bases and HRS feet there is little to no bass energy felt in the floor and of course that is evident in the quality of bass and up the frequency spectrum as well. After determining the best position for the speakers I can’t wait to go back to my isolation configuration – the best bass I have ever heard.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #182 on: 26 Apr 2017, 05:19 pm »
I've been experimenting with those new Clarity caps.  I put a pair of CMR caps in my tube preamp replacing teflon V-Caps and found them to be very close and in some ways a little better.  A lot cheaper than V-caps!

I put CSA caps in a new tube amp build and they seem to bridge the gap between the old ESA and MR caps.  Still warmer sounding than the MR/CMR caps.

In my Mini Strata crossovers the CSA worked great on the mid range driver but threw a blanket on the tweeters.  :scratch:  I had to go back to Sonicaps on the tweeters and for fun I bypassed them with a Russian teflon FT-3 cap to great effect!  My minis have never sounded so good! 

My take on the newer caps is they are an improvement over the older versions.  The biggest benefit being a little better resolution and improved dynamics.

Tyson

« Reply #183 on: 26 Apr 2017, 06:37 pm »
I'm still super happy with the Jupiter cap bypass on the Clarity MR caps.  The big gain IMO is tonal richness and variety - it's a lot easier to hear differences between instruments from a tonal perspective. 

bdp24

« Reply #184 on: 27 Apr 2017, 04:08 am »
There is a really excellent isolation product designed and built by Max Townshend in the U.K. It is unfortunately not cheap, but very. very effective. The isolation is provided by what Max has named the Seismic Pod, and is available singly, in sets, and bolted onto speaker bases and component shelves. The Pod is a spring, the "value" of which (there are about a half-dozen models) is determined by the weight intended to be placed upon it, the spring inside a bellows which traps the air inside it, a hole in the top of the bellows sleeve allowing a certain amount to escape. If that doesn't make sense (and it probably doesn't!), you will understand more clearly if you watch the video Max has posted on You Tube, in which he explains and then demonstrates the Pods. You'll be glad you watched it, but whether or not you are willing to pay what Townshend Audio is asking for them is another matter!

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #185 on: 18 Sep 2017, 10:55 pm »
Just a quick (I hope) note to let you know that I still have and LOVE my Super7s.

Still haven't finished rebuilding the x-overs and rewiring...maybe this nonsummer*.

Have sold my Audio Physic Avanti III speakers...

...that I improved substantially and also the fabulous-sounding c-j ET250S hybrid poweramp...

...so there's no going back for me!

* It's NEVER winter in Phoenix.
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2017, 03:14 am by jeffreybehr »

Tyson

« Reply #186 on: 19 Sep 2017, 03:19 am »
I hear you!  Many times in the high end, it's about different flavors.  But not the Super 7's.  They are just flat out better that other speakers :P  :thumb: :lol:

THROWBACK

« Reply #187 on: 19 Sep 2017, 12:28 pm »
"But not the Super 7's.  They are just flat out better than other speakers"

Except for maybe my LS-9s, Tyson, especially now that I have my new crossovers (Jensen inductors) sitting on the floor ready to be hooked up. Pictures to follow soon.

Tyson

« Reply #188 on: 19 Sep 2017, 03:05 pm »
"But not the Super 7's.  They are just flat out better than other speakers"

Except for maybe my LS-9s, Tyson, especially now that I have my new crossovers (Jensen inductors) sitting on the floor ready to be hooked up. Pictures to follow soon.

I've heard the LS9's in both OB and boxed config, and for me (mostly classical), it's still the Super 7's by a fair bit. 

Now, on the other hand, those Mockingbird Audio line arrays Danny did a few years ago pretty much crush the Super 7's, IMO.  In every category - hahahaha.  But I can barely fit the Super 7's in my space (and could barely afford them).  The Mockingbirds were just way too big (and I couldn't afford them anyway). 

I've done the cap/coil change to Jupiters and Jantzens (copper foil in wax paper).  It's a substantial improvement, especially in tone and overall naturalness.  I think it's a combo of better materials (copper is just better than other foils) and vibration control (the paper/wax does a great job keeping everything very still and very damped).

Don't get me wrong, the LS-9s are great speakers, and if I listened to more rock and/or percussive music, they'd pull even with the 7's, and even surpass them in a few ways (micro and macro dynamics and overall scale).  I love big speakers, and the LS 9's are not only physically big, but they also sound huge. 

S Clark

• Measurements don't make your toes tap
« Reply #189 on: 19 Sep 2017, 04:35 pm »
I live with a pair of LS9s, and the 7's are better speakers.  There are some full orchestra passages where they are close, especially deep strings or bassoons, but I'd swap in a second.  Also, the 7's are much easier to install in a room.  Alas, the 7's were never available as a kit... so a really big advantage goes to the 9's in price.