LED specs on MB-100?

nathanm

LED specs on MB-100?
« on: 14 Feb 2003, 04:26 pm »
If I were to replace the LEDs in my amps what size\electrical specs should I look for?

Curt

LED specs on MB-100?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2003, 06:41 pm »
You need a "T1" size LED. This is 3mm in diameter at the end that lights up.

Pick any color you like. Get clear or diffused lens depending on your taste, or try both.

Get a data sheet or find the SPEC that gives the operating volt drop of the P/N junction (all LEDs are just positive material mated with negitive material, like in a diode, hence P/N junction). This voltage helps you calculate the current limiting resistor value.

I could give you a resistor value to start with with that info via e-mail.

Or, get a 9VDC battery and a cheap 10K Resistor Pot (25K for blue LEDs) and you can play until you get the brightness you like. Start at 10K and slowly turn the resistance down until the brightness is right for you.

Once your happy measure the pot to see what value worked at 9VDC. E-mail me this info and I will give you the vaule resistor to use in the MB-100 which has a much higher voltage than 9VDC.

Got that  :)

nathanm

LED specs on MB-100?
« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2003, 07:08 pm »
Thank you very much Curt!  I think I know what you're talking about!  Luckily I have a EE friend to ask questions if I get stuck. :D

I'm gonna try one 'o them new fangled violet\purple colored ones actually! 8)  oooh...shiny...

Curt

LED specs on MB-100?
« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2003, 07:13 pm »
Interesting, let me know how it looks.

If your EE friend wants to do the math to convert the resistor to the MB-100 tell him the LED supply voltage is 40VDC. He should be able to easily take it from there.

Have fun  :D

nathanm

LED specs on MB-100?
« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2003, 03:55 am »
Doh!  The website I found them on has a $50 minimum order! That's a lot 'o LEDs!   Erm, anyone wanna go in on an LED group purchase?  :)

tkp

LED specs on MB-100?
« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2003, 04:17 pm »
Nathanm,

What color LEDs are you looking for and how many?  If you don't need a whole lot then the local RadioShack would be cheaper than mail order.  If you need a few then the best price for LED I found so far is at

http://www.goldmine-elec.com/

They have 3mm Blue LED for $ 1.00 and they also have lots of other colors for a few dimes.  I don't believe they have a mininum order either.

nathanm

LED specs on MB-100?
« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2003, 09:38 pm »
The violet ones are rather hard to come by.  I looked through the zillion-page Digikey catalog and couldn't find any violet ones.  Blue was even scarce.  I'm almost certain Radio Shack wouldn't have that color, but I'll check anyway.  Now, if anyone can find a violet DIFFUSE one I'll eat my hat!

I just like making things difficult for myself!  :wink:

The store at the link provided above has an ultraviolet LED, which is not what I want.  Those are around 400nm whereas the ones I want are more like 416-420nm.  I don't really wanna get a suntan from my monoblocks!  :P