Porsche and The Burmester Audio System

medium jim

Porsche and The Burmester Audio System
« on: 22 Sep 2012, 03:50 am »
In the TAS (October 2012), on page 16 starts a nice article about the Porches Cayenne Turbo with The Burmester Audio System.  The reviewer, Neil Gader sure thought highly of it.  It adds $3990.00 to the base price. 

I think I will need to go test drive one and hear it for myself as I don't have any friends with one!

Jim

S1NN3R

Re: Porsche and The Burmester Audio System
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2013, 04:57 am »
Did you check out the porsche burmester? Is it worth $3990?

medium jim

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2013, 05:08 am »
Did you check out the porsche burmester? Is it worth $3990?

I haven't, shame on me.   Maybe someone else has and can report back to us.

Jim

TONEPUB

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2013, 08:31 am »
Actually Burmester in the Cayenne is old news.  Went to Spain to check it out beginning of last year in the new 911.  And yes it is awesome. Spent two days with the car in town and on the track...

http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_046.pdf

medium jim

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2013, 03:32 pm »
Ah, but still good news!

Jim

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2013, 03:41 pm »
I imagine that anything else by Bur folks would run a heck of a lot more than 4K!

TONEPUB

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2013, 08:47 pm »
I think it depends on the trim level of the car.  In some models, it's a $4k upgrade, I believe in others it's $5k.  Talking to Dieter Burmester extensively about this and how they were able to do this at this price, in relation to their home audio gear, he said, "a lot of the cost involved is the massive power supplies, hand matched output transistors (in the case of the power amps) and to a lesser extent, the casework."

Still, I don't know how they managed to get it all done for this price.  I've had the opportunity to drive the Naim/Bentley system (also excellent), the B&O system in the Aston Martin and Audi, as well as the Meridian system in the Range Rover, (all covered in various issues of TA) but for my money the Burmester is the one to beat.  While not confirmed yet, there is a high probability that the Burmester sound system will make its way into the Boxster/Cayman range next year.

S1NN3R

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2013, 06:45 am »
Do they have the capability to play SACD? This would probably make it worth every penny.