RAAL 140-15D Dipole owners, mounting ideas?

Architect7

• Sound Quality Addict
RAAL 140-15D Dipole owners, mounting ideas?
« on: 1 Nov 2014, 06:49 am »
I have owned my RAAL 140-15D dipole ribbons for about 15 months now and absolutely love them.  I am planning a new build with them, "hopefully" the last (yeah right, right?).  I am planning a nice project for a future man cave paired with Accuton C173-6-090 mids and GR Research Servo open baffle subs.  Actively amplified with Hypex UcD modules and preamp/DAC/crossover/processor will be a highly regarded car audio Helix DSP.

The RAAL dipole tweeter employs a formidable faceplate.  How have other owners of this ribbon tweeter integrated it in their designs?  I think I have an idea for how I want to mount it alongside the Accuton mid, likely using a thin wood fascia around the outside to bring the faceplate flush (I am no expert with a plunge router).  Looking forward to what others have done with these :)

Or do I go with the SEOS waveguide, something I definitely want to consider for my build, allows very low crossover for RAAL to cover more midrange:

For science, some examples from around the interwebs:

My prior build with SEAS Excels and 6x Acoustic Elegance OB15's (heavenly sounding bass!):

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Re: RAAL 140-15D Dipole owners, mounting ideas?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2014, 03:22 pm »
I will say that using the SEOS waveguide IMO is a bad idea.  The one area where RAAL's stomp everything is in terms of energy storage.  Put it in a deep guide like that and you introduce lots of energy storage, essentially throwing away it's strongest characteristic. 

I have been thinking about using that Helix DSP in a home environment too :)  Maybe even making a new case for it with 120v PS and selling them. 

Architect7

• Sound Quality Addict
« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2014, 02:52 am »
Yeah these Helix DSP units are really affordable now that the Pro has been announced but they still have amazing specs, components, flexibility and low noise floor.  And with the URC-2A or custom pot you get volume control!

I love how the RAAL sounds w/o waveguide and not using the guides saves me $400 so i am good with that approach :) Now to experiment with xover points/slopes between 2.5k-3k...

First prototype planned for tomorrow!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2014, 04:23 am »
Just FYI, I've used the monopole 140-15D as low as 1900hz with just a single cap crossover.  Unfiltered THD doesn't cross 1% until around 1500hz, they're a lot more robust than most realize.

snake69fast

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2017, 01:38 pm »
Hi
I'd like to receive some help matching RAAL 140-15D-AM  dipole with the Supravox 215S driver.
Any ideea for the crossover?
Thank you!