Audio Magic Pulse Gen ZX Review (Part 1 & 2)

vman71

Audio Magic Pulse Gen ZX Review (Part 1 & 2)
« on: 24 Aug 2007, 11:28 am »
The following review is for a device to tweak/mod any component that uses AC.  The device is called a Pulse Gen ZX from Audio Magic.  The device is designed to control self-generated EMI/RFI (noise) within a component and to also condition and stabilize current flow.  The size of the device is similar to that of a deck of cards.  It requires two solder connections to the incoming “hot” and “neutral” wires inside the component (either right after the IEC or captured power cord).

First, let me say that this is the easiest tweak/mod that I have ever done (requiring soldering).  It’s very straight forward and the two connections will always go to the “hot” and “neutral” wires (polarity is not an issue with this device).  Because of the simplicity, ease of this tweak/mod, and the possibility of cumulative gains (see below for PART 2 to verify this), I think it makes it a sensible option for many people to try, both experienced tweakers/modders and the DIY beginners.  It took me less than 15min to install this device into my component.

The results that I will be sharing are based on the installation of this device into my CD/DVD player (source), as I wanted to evaluate the affects to both audio and video.  I used the Eagles “Hell Freezes Over” DVD as my main source of evaluation material.

Audio: Voices, instruments and musical presentation improved.  Voices became more natural and clear.  Instruments sounded even better, again the naturalness and clarity was what stood out.  Lastly, the air and spaciousness of the soundstage came across as more real (extending both wider and deeper).  All of these things made the presentation sound more musical, natural, accurate, and closer to feeling like the real performance was occurring right there in front of me.

Video: Clarity, colors, and picture definition were noticeable improvements.  Skin and flesh tones were more natural looking.  Colors more true.  Smoothness of images, definition, and details were all more true to life.

The ease and simplicity of this tweak/mod, along with the positive results I experienced with this device, makes the Pulse Gen ZX easy for me to recommend to others.  I think it offers great value and makes for an easy way to improve the performance each individual component with the possibility of additional cumulative gains (as more are installed).  My understanding is that the gains should be cumulative, with each component in the system that you install this device in.

The cost of the device is $399 (self-installation).  Is it worth it?  I whole-heartedly think so, because of the ease and simplicity of installation, the “DIY ease factor” for beginner tweakers/modders, and the possibility of cumulative gains.

NOTE*** I will be doing a PART 2 to this review, as I plan to install an Audio Magic  Pulse Gen ZX in my S.E.T. integrated tube amp.  When I do, I will be able to evaluate and verify the possible benefits of cumulative gains.
« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2007, 12:03 pm by vman71 »

vman71

Re: Audio Magic Pulse Gen ZX Review (Part 1 & 2)
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2008, 05:49 pm »
PART 2

This is a review of the installation of another Audio Magic Pulse Gen ZX device.  Unfortunately, I was not able to put it in my 300B S.E.T. amp due to the lack of space and the fact that it doesn’t have a bottom plate.  So the Pulse Gen ZX was installed into my Tube Technology tube preamp.  Again, two soldering points makes it quick and simple.

I let it burn in for an hour and then started listening for any changes.  Again, there’s an audible difference for the better.  Immediately, I noticed improvement in the clarity of voices and instruments, improvement in the separation and placement of voices and instruments, and an improvement in the blackness/quietness of the background.

I’m going to leave this second part short and to the point.  It’s another sonic improvement to the system and one that leaves me not questioning the value of the device and it’s ability to impart a sonic improvement that is easily and readily noticeable.

I would encourage those that are looking for a tweak/modification that can improve the performance of your component and the overall end result, the sonics of your system, to try one of the Pulse Gen ZX’s.

This Pulse Gen ZX will be a permanent fixture in my Tube Technology tube preamp.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2008, 01:24 am »

I placed a Pulse Gen ZX in my HTPC monday and I gotta say I'm impressed. The Pulse Gen ZX reminds me a lot of a Quantum resonator like my Symphony Pro. My downloaded music came to life with shimmering highes and thumping bass wit lots of good stuff in between. This is the first powered product I've ever come across that goes after system generated EMI from within. Every product should come manufactured with this gem included IMHO. These little "inside the component" units are on sale for $300 the month of April. I have 3 weeks to spend my federal rebate,,,,,, Whoopie!  :dance:

A good review here: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue34/noise.htm

Cheers,
Robin

Phil

« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2008, 05:30 am »
The ZX also works magic in my universal source.  It did take longer than 1 hour for warmup, although after about 1.5 hours I was able to find the best placement.  By the next day, the little black box had warmed up nicely and the music was very much like live.  Very rich sounding, very dynamic and natural.  Lots of nuance.  Some discs I thought were pretty good soundwise became very, very good.

In short, the ZX allows your equipment to be at its best.  I've ordered another one to try with my amp.

Very cool stuff.  As Robin mentioned, most other tweaks are to the outside of the unit, or power.  This little box adds to those other approaches.   It is really nice to get rid of the reamining noise (I was already using dedicated lines, balanced power, Alan Maher's PEs and shakti stones).

Phil

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2008, 04:57 am »
I installed an Audio Magic Pulse Gen ZX inside my main Butler Audio 3150 3 channel tube hybrid amp 2 weeks ago and I purposely waited so I wouldn't be giving my first impressions. Because the transformers in the Butler TDB series are mounted vertically, I placed the ZX on the side of a transformer bracket, ran the wire thru the top venting slot, placed an AC plug on the end and plugged it into an IEC Liberator cord along with a Hammond choke. If I soldered, it would be so much easlier to just attach it insie the box to the IEC pins but,,,  :oops:

It took a good 2 hours for me to realize the ZX's full potential but realize it I did. There's no doubt in my mind that the attributes of the Pulse gen ZX is commutative in that the benefits don't actually combine itslef to overpower a system, rather they're indepentent from each other and only benefit that component to make it as good as it can be. I had already placed silver fuses inside my Butlers, had them cryoed, I even put Herbies Halo's on the tubes but placing a ZX inside the Butler had the best result of all the other tweeks combined. Nothing that i can detect was added, the tube hybrid amp simply runs cleaner, clearer with the whole frequency range benefiting from this. And what's more important for me in my system, this additional clarity didn't come at the expense of more listeners fatigue. This simply tells me that not only are Alan Maher's PE series placement on my BPT still doing their thing in mellowing out the harmonic harshness but that the ZX's are simply cleansing the internal ground noise of the components w/o adding anything whatsoever.

Up next, my Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor with my 3rd and last Pulse Gen ZX. Depending on this installation's results, I plan on placing a ZX in my rear Butler amp and am actually thinking about 1 for my BPT and my breaker box. I'm still waiting for that tax break check,,,,,  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2008, 05:10 am by satfrat »

hotbird

Is it multi-voltage?
« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2008, 06:08 am »
Ie can it be used for 220-240V equipment( 'coz it really does not state so on their website)?
Check
http://www.audio-magic.com/PriceList.html

Since it is connected to your AC IEC in your review, I guess default it would only be for 120V, the US voltage.

PS. I already use a Acoustic Revive RGC24, the same one that was also covered in the same PFO review link by Dave Clark... just curious if both would work in tandem, if the Pulsegen also got a 240V version.

satfrat

• Restricted
Re: Is it multi-voltage?
« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2008, 06:29 am »
Ie can it be used for 220-240V equipment( 'coz it really does not state so on their website)?
Check
http://www.audio-magic.com/PriceList.html

Since it is connected to your AC IEC in your review, I guess default it would only be for 120V, the US voltage.

PS. I already use a Acoustic Revive RGC24, the same one that was also covered in the same PFO review link by Dave Clark... just curious if both would work in tandem, if the Pulsegen also got a 240V version.

Good question on the use of 220v, Jerry Ramsey would be the one to answer that question. These $400 conditioners are on sale for $300 til the end of this month. As for using the ZX with the RGC24, I've been thinking about doing just that for my processor. All the ZX deals with is what's inside the box and all the RGC deals with is what's outside the box so I would think they'd work real good together. These 2 products were actually mentioned together in a recent Positive Feedback article: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue34/noise.htm

Another product was also mentioned in this article, the Quantum Noise Disrupter that Audio Magic also sells. I had forgot in my last post that a week after I installed the ZX in my Butler, I had picked up a couple of small Noise Disrupters from a gentleman from Slovenia and I placed 1 on each Butler amp directly over the transformer. These 2 products are definitely a match made in heaven as it brought the highs to another level all together. I've been told that placing the large Disrupters on amps/processors can overpower a component and rob the dynamics but this was definitely not the case when I used the small ones over the Butler transformers. I am very impressed with both of these Audio Magic products.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Phil

« Reply #7 on: 8 May 2008, 10:24 pm »
The ZX worked so well in my cdp that I tried a second one in my equi=tech even though I thought that a second one might be overkill in the digital chain (the equitech only feeds the cdp).  But it actually works very well with the equitech.  The first ZX was all about dynamics; the second one is all about nuance (not sure if this has to do with the associated equipment or an additive effect). 

All in all, having a very dynamic sound with lots of tonal color and no fatigue is very nice.  I love these little boxes.

Phil