DVD/CD player recommendation

chrispro

« on: 30 Jul 2004, 10:54 am »
Looking to buy a DVD player with good CD playback to match current system. Can anyone recommend a player that they are happy with? I would probably use it 50% of time for CD and the other 50% watching DVD. I am considering ARCAM DV79 and DENON 2900 with modwright conversion.

My current system consists of 9B SST, SP 1.7 with PMC OB1's (main) and  CB6 (centre)

Any feedback will be appreciated.

jimmyp58

« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2004, 11:27 am »
I had the DVD-2900 and it was very good.  I upgraded to the 5900 as my SACD/DVD-A collection grew.  You would be very happy with the 2900.

Jim

Jose Garcia

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2004, 01:52 pm »
If you are 50% interested in video, you should check the Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity reports on several DVD players. They made a great variety of test to everything concerned with video.

For the other 50% audio... The usual Sony and Denon reccomedations with modifications.

BUT if you really, really, really need a cheap, cheaper, cheapiest, machine with a 73% video evaluation ( good enough from SHTHF) and tons of raving reports...get a Toshiba SD-3960 ... no kidding!!! The image is better than most of the units reported on those test I told you.

Jose.

nicolasb

« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2004, 08:43 pm »
Joining this thread rather late...

You might be able to get a good deal on a second hand Arcam DV27 if you shop around. CD playback on that is very good.

Levi

Re: DVD/CD player recommendation
« Reply #4 on: 5 Aug 2004, 03:37 am »
Quote from: chrispro
Looking to buy a DVD player with good CD playback to match current system. Can anyone recommend a player that they are happy with? I would probably use it 50% of time for CD and the other 50% watching DVD. I am considering ARCAM DV79 and DENON 2900 with modwright conversion.

My current system consists of 9B SST, SP 1.7 with PMC OB1's (main) and  CB6 (centre)

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Try this setup.  ModWright Sony 999ES with tube output stage.   8)

Please read Positive-Feedback.com review http://positive-feedback.com/Issue14/modwright999ES.htm