DD 2/2.0 decoding problem

thomaspf

« on: 12 Jun 2004, 10:00 pm »
I am having a problem with a DVD that has a special quadro 2/2.0 audio track. My SP1.7 displays correctly what type of signal it is getting but only the front speakers are enabled. There is no sound coming from the rear speakers when I set them to small which is the correct setting. When I switch to large for the rear speakers the disk plays as expected.

The DVD in question is from Tacet which has a whole series of the 2/2.0 disc. Is there anything special I have to do or is this the expected behavior?

Cheers

Thomas

jethro

« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2004, 07:53 pm »
I have no explanation, but since I have no source media like yours I can only suggest the following if you haven't already tried these things. The 2/2.0 signal is not listed in the table of suround modes in the SP-1.7 manual so perhaps it's just a fluke that it somewhat works.

If you have the gear, perhaps you  could run the SP-1.7 sub-out to an amp and then to a more-or-less full-range speaker (be cautious !!!).  Then try playing with the large and small settings of your rears to see what signal you get at the "new" sub. You could also try varying the SP-1.7 sub crossover, specifying no sub, setting the fronts from large to small,  etc.

I'm just curious as to whether the rear channel's are being sent to the sub somehow. If you have an active sub you might not know because of the sub's built-in crossover. If you have a passive sub, then never mind this suggestion, because if the rear channels are going to the sub by mistake then you will hear some pretty nasty noises.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2004, 11:55 pm »
Hi Jethro,

Is it possible you have your back speakers enabled, but no back speakers present.  This might cause the surround(rear) channels to collapse into back speakers that aren't there.  Try disabling the back speakers and/or disabling the EX/ES settings.

James

thomaspf

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2004, 05:46 pm »
Isn't the expectation that all dolby modes with whatever number of speaker should work

My sub is active and dual connected. Directly to the SP1.7 at balanced line level and in parallel to the main speakers at the amplifier outputs. If there is no signal on the line level input it automatically switches to the high level inputs.

My main speakers are Harbeth Monitor 40 which I can drive with a full range signal and have the sub kick in for 16-35Hz. I am about 5db down at 16Hz when I tune it to seamless integration with the mains.

The funny thing about 2/2.0 is that the SP1.7 seems to shut down the rear speakers unless they are set to Large. I can appreciate not to send a full range signal to a small speakers but then I would have hoped for redirection to the sub. It is a small nick but sounds like low hanging fruit to me. All the algortihms are already there in the firmware.

Cheers

Thomas

Levi

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2004, 12:52 am »
I am curious.

Have you tried the same CD with other pre-amp processor and if you have what are your findings?

Levi

Quote from: thomaspf
Isn't the expectation that all dolby modes with whatever number of speaker should work

My sub is active and dual connected. Directly to the SP1.7 at balanced line level and in parallel to the main speakers at the amplifier outputs. If there is no signal on the line level input it automatically switches to the high level inputs.

My main speakers are Harbeth Monitor 40 which I can drive with a full range signal and have the sub kick in for 16-35Hz. I am about 5db down at 16Hz when I tune it to seamless ...

jethro

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2004, 12:03 am »
Thomas,

You might want to post your setup (i.e. do you have backs as well) if you haven't already fixed your problem.

Have you tried a regular 3/2.1 DVD since playing with the problem DVD to make sure everything still works ?