Speakers cables for PMC OB1s

zeidoun

« on: 9 Jun 2004, 10:54 pm »
Hi,
I have just ordered a new pair of PMC OB1s. OB1s are suitable for tri-wire (3 pairs binding posts on each speaker). Is it a good idea to use tri-wired cables?  
Thanks

Allezvite

Tri-wired
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2004, 02:32 pm »
OB1's... Nice!

My brother uses tri-wired LK600 Linn cable from his Myryad M240 amp to his Linn AV-5140 speakers.  This is a very nice system with tons of detail.

I also passive bi-wire my Linn Keilidh speakers from my 3BSST, and my Paradigm Monitor 5's in the home theater with double runs of LK20 cable.

In every case of bi-wiring that I've tried, the results seem to be the same: A greater sense of openness and ease, a more sorted out sound, more detail and information retrieval, less smearing of the sound and a sense of better integration and presentation.

I havenn't personally heard much in the way of frequency - related effects (more bass etc.).

If the manufacturer takes the time to design and implement a split cross-over it usually will result in an improvement to use double or triple runs vs. single runs with the jumper cables / links.

This assumes that the quality of the cable is equal.  If you skimp on the quality of your speaker cable because you have to buy triple the amount, then go with the better quality single run and add others later as your budget permits.

Before you know it, you'll be into passive biamping where you can get another boost in performance.

rleeman

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2004, 11:07 pm »
I bought OB1s last year and contacted PMC in Luton about cabling. A technician recommended Van Damme 6mm^2 OFC speaker cable which he said they use for professional installations. He did not think tri-wiring would make much difference especially for the short length of cables that I am running (about 2.5m each side). Have been very happy with the Van Damme cable connecting my Bryston amp to the OB1s. The Van Damme cable is not as “cold” as the Van den Hull Clearwater that I used previously and seems better able to carry the lower frequencies. They give me what I want in cables - no colouration & strictly neutral. Have thought recently about experimenting with tri-wiring especially as I can source the additional cable cheaply – will report back should I try it out. Btw the OB1s sound even better after a few months once you’ve played ‘em in.

Richard Leeman, Hertfordshire, England