PMC FB1 Plus

Yogus

PMC FB1 Plus
« on: 19 May 2004, 01:10 am »
Has anyone heard the new FB1 plus and compared it with the older ones? What are the main differences?

Wondering if the upgrade is worthwhile doing.

In case you're not aware, the FB1 can be upgraded to plus spec with the following:
- new soft dome tweeter
- new crossover
- new foam set

John L

PMC FB1 Plus
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2004, 06:46 am »
I just hope they keep this upgrade kit at a reasonable cost. Maybe it won't sound as good as the original FB1? Will sit tight for more details to come on this upgrade. It's very good of this company to offer this to FB1, TB2, owners.

John

Yogus

PMC FB1 Plus
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2004, 12:11 am »
Distributor quoted me about 20% of the RRP of the original to upgrade.

:o

I'd suspect the changes would be incremental, theoretically being better imaging (due to 4th o x/over) and a slightly smoother sound. (The vifa soft dome is actually cheaper than the metal dome i believe?). Wonder what the purpose of the new foam set is?

But I haven't heard them so it's one big guess?

I spent the $$$ on room treatment instead  :wink:

jethro

PMC FB1 Plus
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2004, 08:32 pm »
Quote from: Yogus
Distributor quoted me about 20% of the RRP of the original to upgrade.

:o

I'd suspect the changes would be incremental, theoretically being better imaging (due to 4th o x/over) and a slightly smoother sound. (The vifa soft dome is actually cheaper than the metal dome i believe?). Wonder what the purpose of the new foam set is?

But I haven't heard them so it's one big guess?

I spent the $$$ on room treatment instead  :wink:

I'm no expert, however, from what I've read, the stuffing material and how it is packed in the transmission line is just as important as any other part of the TL speaker. Evidently the stuffing tunes the response of the drivers which allows extended frequency range on the bass.  I assume that finding a material and process for stuffing a TL that results in unifom results from speaker to speaker is difficult. The LB-1 signature on the PMC website has some info on its new foam set. I imagine the foam set for the FB-1 Plus  and the soft dome tweeter are trickle-down technology. If the tweeter is the same one as in the IB-1 then it may be very worthwhile depending on your preferences. I have only heard the IB-1's so I can't directly compare with the TB-2, FB-1, but I find the soft dome tweeter more agreeable than metal tweeters in general.