FS: Accuphase E202 Integrated Amp

truajb

Re: FS: Accuphase E202 Integrated Amp
« Reply #20 on: 9 Jan 2009, 03:31 am »
Hey Dennis,

Thanks for your advice. I will give that a shot.

I am going from an Arcam Alpha 7 integrated amp to this Accuphase E202. Surprisingly, I find the Arcam sounds a little cleaner. I've heard another Accuphase set up (C200 preamp+P200) and that sounds really wonderful. I was hoping the E202 can sound at least close to that but was a little disappointed. I read so much review online and 99.99% say the amp is a Rolls Royce and I wonder what might have caused this. Is it possible that some of the capacitors are too old and need replacement? I am sure this amp should sound better than the little Arcam that I have.

Louis

denjo

« Reply #21 on: 9 Jan 2009, 02:12 pm »
Hi Louis

Yes, please try my suggestion. The E-202 is one of their earliest models so there may well be parts that need servicing/replacement. Meanwhile, give it a bit more listening time! Audio gear does take some time to settle down and our ears also need some time to adjust.

Keep us posted!

Best Regards
Dennis
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2009, 05:40 am by denjo »

truajb

« Reply #22 on: 11 Jan 2009, 05:24 am »
Playing with my Accuphase E202 more the last couple days. I figure it sounds better when I turn up the volume a little more. Since I am listening inside a small room at a relatively lower volume that's probably why it didn't sound as good as it should. But now the bass is more solid and punchy and the overall sound quality improve much much more. I think I will still look into recapping and hopefully that will result in a even better improvement.

Anyone having a schematic that can share?

denjo

« Reply #23 on: 11 Jan 2009, 05:41 am »
Hi Louis

Glad to hear that the E202 is sounding better with the volume cranked up!

Did you email Kelly Kawakami San?

Best Regards
Dennis

truajb

« Reply #24 on: 14 Jan 2009, 04:08 am »
Hey Dennis,

The Accuphase web site is still not up running yet so I am counting down to Jan 18. Meanwhile I got myself a schematic though it's not too legible. I opened up the amp and start looking at the capacitors that may need replacement. I am looking at recapping all the electrolytics. Do you have any experience in doing that? I am hoping some of the E202 who made such change can share their experience.

Louis

viggen

« Reply #25 on: 14 Jan 2009, 05:47 am »
I think if the amp sounds good only when it's loud, it's probably a sign that the caps are going. 

I had another E202 before I got the one I just sold.  One of its channel didn't sound good until it was cranked up.  Good thing it was a local buy, so I returned it.

truajb

« Reply #26 on: 18 Jan 2009, 01:50 pm »
Hi Viggen,

Just placed a couple orders for some new caps. I am really looking forward to replacing the old caps. I also noticed that the details are a little weak as vocal and background music seem to stick to each other. I read reviews of this baby and most people are really happy about the soundstage and details. I wonder if that's because of aging caps as well.

Louis