Don't strangle your amps!

aaron.luebke

Don't strangle your amps!
« on: 5 Jul 2015, 03:26 am »
A friend of mine offered me his Shunyata Hydra at a price that could not be passed up.  Prior to installing this I was using some surge suppressors commonly used by copier machine companies - lots of current needed for those so I figured they should be ok.

I removed the old surge suppressors and installed the Hydra.  Bass instantly opened up, tighter, deeper and smoother.  I know the rest of the spectrum is also better but the bass is where the major improvement came in.

I'm using a Tempest with a Dual mono Stratos +++ for my MMG's and a dual power supply, single board Stratos +++ for the pair Dahlquist DQ-1W subs.

I also upgraded the power supply on my Squeezebox Duet with a Welborne labs non-switching power supply.  Another simple upgrade that has smoothed the sound even more.

Six months ago I would have found the thought of doing this amusing.  I was completely happy with the sound I had.  :oops:

Early B.

Re: Don't strangle your amps!
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jul 2015, 04:09 am »
You've only just begun. The next step is to upgrade all of your power cords and interconnects, and mod the crossovers on those MMGs. Then after you do that, upgrade the Hydra.   :icon_lol:

aaron.luebke

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jul 2015, 12:31 pm »
Power Cords   :thumb: - Already have Wireworld power cords on everything.
Interconnects   :thumb: - Groneberg Quattro Reference on most everthing,  If not Groneberg then my own home built Mogami Neglex W2534 with Cardas ends. 
Speaker cables   :thumb: - Groneberg Quattro on the MMG's and Mogami on the subs.
Crossover mods   :thumb: - done, using Alpha Core inductors, Sonic Craft caps and Mills resistors.  Mye stands have been installed.

Now, I didn't know there was an upgrade to the Hydra!  :scratch:  Suppose I could wait a bit and let my wallet cool off before I bite into that one?  :wink:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jul 2015, 12:49 pm »
Hello, Aaron.

Congratulations! You have entered the 'slippery slope' period in your life as a budding audiophile.  :wink:

Approximately 2 1/2 years ago I, too, would have found the idea of upgrading power cords, speakers cables, IC cables, etc. ridiculous. Fortunately for my ears, I discovered such upgrades do improve the sound (though it was less fortunate for my savings account).

I suspect Early B. and I will give you the same upgrade suggestion to your Hydra. [For that matter, there are quite a few folks who share our thinking.] Until a little over a year ago, I had planned to buy a Hydra as well until I discovered the P.I. Audio UberBUSS power conditioner. I'll soon own its little brother - the MiniBUSS - for my overseas home. 

Enjoy the addic...uh...er...the hobby!

Michael

aaron.luebke

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2015, 01:32 pm »
Why PI Audio instead of Shunyata?

When someone offers you something at resale/3 there isn't much research going to happen.

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jul 2015, 05:57 pm »
Aaron --

There's always better stuff out there. Always. And there's only one way to find out....

Prepare to empty your wallet... :lol:

aaron.luebke

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jul 2015, 06:06 pm »
 :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

My marriage:   :violin:

My bank:   :rules:

What my friends will think:   :jester:

And what I will be doing!   :banana piano: :beer: :drums: :rock: :beer: :guitar: :beer: :wine:  :dance: :rock:

MickeyBoy

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jul 2015, 06:23 pm »

Using Stereophile classification terminology, I wonder if there is a Class C or Class D equivalent to the Class A Shunyata for less than $500?

aaron.luebke

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2015, 06:46 pm »
Looks like it's based on the number of outlets you need.

That MiniBuss looks promising.  I'd image you can run decent power taps (not surge devices) from such a device and still reap the benefits.

Ern Dog

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jul 2015, 07:18 pm »
Relax and enjoy your upgrade.  There's always something better, so take it slow.  Then when your're done with  that next week, then get the uberbuss  :lol: :nono:

mjosef

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jul 2015, 07:38 pm »
Hail Hydra!
 :thumb:

Arcticdeth

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jul 2015, 08:00 pm »
Hail hydra!!

I thought the stock power cords klaus uses are good enough? No?

aaron.luebke

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jul 2015, 08:20 pm »
14g instead of 16 or 18 - so better than most other stock.  There are better.

and I lied - I have a pair of Signal Cable Magic power cords on the dual mono.  No intention of replacing them....yet.

Early B.

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jul 2015, 09:19 pm »
I have a pair of Signal Cable Magic power cords on the dual mono.

Dude, you're strangling your amp with that power cord!!! You haven't heard what your Odyssey sounds like yet. 

aaron.luebke

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jul 2015, 10:32 pm »
What...I gotta go to 8g wire before they "open up"!!   :roll:

MickeyBoy

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jul 2015, 11:21 pm »
Thanks for the tip about the Minibuss. Alas, it offers power conditioning without surge protection. Having lost a computer to a spike I think I need surge protection first and foremost. Any other tips?

Cheeseboy

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jul 2015, 12:44 am »
Try the VooDoo Cable products.  They were very favorably reviewed and a best of 2015 by TAS.  I'm running 100% VooDoo and you can't believe the difference.  Yes I have an Uber Buss as well. 

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jul 2015, 01:15 am »
Thanks for the tip about the Minibuss. Alas, it offers power conditioning without surge protection. Having lost a computer to a spike I think I need surge protection first and foremost. Any other tips?

Heh. . . I'll shill for Dave!  :green:   For your surge protection approval, the 'BUSS-Stop':

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=106485.0

Early B.

« Reply #18 on: 6 Jul 2015, 03:30 am »
What...I gotta go to 8g wire before they "open up"!!   :roll:

Nah, it's not so much the gauge, but the design and parts quality that matter most.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #19 on: 6 Jul 2015, 02:52 pm »
Hail hydra!!

I thought the stock power cords klaus uses are good enough? No?

Perhaps Klaus could comment on this ...