Speaker placement........

Kt77

Re: Speaker placement........
« Reply #20 on: 9 Jul 2012, 04:23 am »
I agree Wayne, with the added caveat of the room.  I've always preferred long wall placement, and not all written advice contradicts that, the old Audio Physics speaker placement paper (not the new one presently on their website) indicated long wall placement to send early reflections at the listening position beyond a specified time window.  You've shared your room size and placement so I fully agree that you've got it right on that count.

However in my latest room, a dedicated small room, rectangular, I tried for months to get an acceptable long wall placement using every technique and wall treatment known to man.  Never could get it right.  In desperation I tried a short wall placement and bingo, right on the first try.  I traded width for depth in soundstage to be sure, but all the slap echo and resonant problems disappeared.  I finally can get even frequency response and excellent soundstaging.  So I learned the lesson that the room makes it's own decisions sometimes.   

Hi Letitroll98, I'd have to agree with both you and Wayner. As I wrote this years ago into a post over on Audioasylum:

http://www.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=speakers&n=203400&highlight=

What some people don't take into account is that there are various methods besides the one offered by Cardas that work just as well.

I happen to apply both Audio Physic's method as well as the Sumiko Master Set, which I've found to be very worthwhile options. In this hobby like with the components we select " No one side fits all ".

It's merely a means of understanding just how to go about getting the very best from ones speakers - after all it's one of the most important ways to my ones system sing in all its glory and besides it's free, and merely required that the end user is open-minded enough to hear said changes in the sonic of their given speakers to begin with?.

It's not math or rocket science, in so much as proper placement of ones speakers to begin with. As mentioned this is one of those topics that is often overlooked. But valid none the least.

Regards,
O_o scar

hifigeezer

« Reply #21 on: 27 Jul 2012, 06:43 pm »
The best articles I have seen on bass response and speaker placement are by Floyd Toole of JBL; you can find links to them here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=58304.0
Even though he focuses on multichannel the analysis is helpful for stereo also.  Years ago I used a Carver C-9 Sonic Hologram unit which specified extremely close matching of the distance from both speakers to the listener; it was a chore to achieve but improved the imaging.  Once I had the speaker placement rigorously optimized I didn't keep the C-9 in the system.

martyo

« Reply #22 on: 27 Jul 2012, 06:52 pm »
  Years ago I used a Carver C-9 Sonic Hologram unit which specified extremely close matching of the distance from both speakers to the listener; it was a chore to achieve but improved the imaging.  Once I had the speaker placement rigorously optimized I didn't keep the C-9 in the system.

Still running my C-9 in the shed.  :duh: Mines a C-16.

« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2012, 02:20 pm by martyo »