Salk Streamer Gen III just ordered

charmerci

Re: Salk Streamer Gen III just ordered
« Reply #20 on: 24 Oct 2016, 05:24 pm »
Yeah but sitting around waiting for ripped CD's to pop out all afternoon gets really boring!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: 24 Oct 2016, 05:24 pm »
Yeah but sitting around waiting for ripped CD's to pop out all afternoon gets really boring!
Get a robot.  Stack 100 at a time and walk away. 

Saturn94

« Reply #22 on: 24 Oct 2016, 10:19 pm »

Yeah, I lost some music/effort with a failed backup then a virus.  :(  External HD's are cheap but can occasionally fail. Buy two, it may save you a lot of time. Don't learn the hard way like me.. and others.

Yikes!

I have 3 backups. ;)

jriggy

« Reply #23 on: 25 Oct 2016, 03:13 pm »
Does the SalkStreamer III have an IEC for ones own power cord, a captive power cord  or does it use a power supply???

jsalk

« Reply #24 on: 25 Oct 2016, 03:56 pm »
Does the SalkStreamer III have an IEC for ones own power cord, a captive power cord  or does it use a power supply???

It uses a power supply.  There are other options for a supply (HD-Plex, Teddy Pardo, etc.) if you want a linear supply.

- Jim

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: 25 Oct 2016, 05:42 pm »
Perhaps those looking for an external power supply should look into the Ultracapacitor powered Vinnie Rossi MINI

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=145402.0

jriggy

« Reply #26 on: 25 Oct 2016, 06:36 pm »
Thank you, Jim!

Perhaps those looking for an external power supply should look into the Ultracapacitor powered Vinnie Rossi MINI

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=145402.0

Thats exactly why I was asking  :eyebrows:

dpatters

« Reply #27 on: 25 Oct 2016, 06:39 pm »
Got the StreamPlayer on my network without any issues. Roon and Tidal working flawlessly. Instruction manual well laid out. SQ good.  Looking forward to my TWL USB cable.  Roon is very intuitive. I've been adding albums all day.

Fed Ex just delivered a new laptop a few minutes ago. I'll get that set up later and start ripping my CD collection.

updates to follow.

Don P.

SCompRacer

« Reply #28 on: 26 Oct 2016, 04:43 pm »
Once you start ripping, you will be tagging too. Fortunately I haven't batch ripped in several years due to having proper backups.

For instance, it's important that the album artist tag is kept the same for all tracks on an album. If there are even minor differences (like multiple artists) music players will treat the two variations as different albums, and separate the tracks. That's why I prefer to rip one at a time to have control. I'd be worried about having to correct what a robot ripper might do.

dpatters

« Reply #29 on: 26 Oct 2016, 04:59 pm »
I don't plan on batch ripping.  I'm not in any big hurry.  I have a good CD transport to use in the meantime. This is new to me so I want to get it right the first time.  I have to travel this weekend so I don't know if I'll get started or not.  I'm definitely enjoying the Roon interface and integration with Tidal!!

ratso

« Reply #30 on: 27 Oct 2016, 09:13 pm »
like many I have external storage for my music already (a NAS in my case) and don't have any need/want for internal storage in a streaming device. considered making a streamer for use with an NAS/external drive with no internal storage?

jsalk

« Reply #31 on: 27 Oct 2016, 09:31 pm »
like many I have external storage for my music already (a NAS in my case) and don't have any need/want for internal storage in a streaming device. considered making a streamer for use with an NAS/external drive with no internal storage?

We can do this.  But is a bit more challenging to set up since it is Linux.  We can help with that.  Once it is set up, there are no problems.  You would still need a small drive for the OS/Roon/etc.

- Jim

SCompRacer

« Reply #32 on: 27 Oct 2016, 09:38 pm »
We can do this.  But is a bit more challenging to set up since it is Linux.  We can help with that.  Once it is set up, there are no problems.  You would still need a small drive for the OS/Roon/etc.

- Jim

I set up my server (not a Salk) with a small SSD drive for the op system in the hopes that it won't fail like a spinner might. ;)

MttBsh

« Reply #33 on: 28 Oct 2016, 05:54 am »
I have a very favorable impression of the Salk Streamer III based on what I've read, in particular because of its apparent ease of use (compared to other streamers) and the fact that Jim Salk is a man who stands behind his products with intimate knowledge and stellar customer service.
In his recent review of the III Doug Shhroeder of Dagogo offered much praise but acknowledged the "weakness of his review" was that he hadn't heard other competing aftermarket streamers, and could only compare the streamer to his tricked out Mac Mini. That was more than a weakness in my mind, it kind of sucked the life out his review.
So my question is, can anyone who has auditioned different streamers (Aurender/Sonore/Melco/Bryston. etc.) offer comparisons between the sound qualities they've heard in those products and the Salk Steamer III? I know there are some great streamers out there today, including Jim Salk's, and would love to get anyone's feedback.
Thanks

dpatters

« Reply #34 on: 28 Oct 2016, 12:15 pm »
I have a very favorable impression of the Salk Streamer III based on what I've read, in particular because of its apparent ease of use (compared to other streamers) and the fact that Jim Salk is a man who stands behind his products with intimate knowledge and stellar customer service.
In his recent review of the III Doug Shhroeder of Dagogo offered much praise but acknowledged the "weakness of his review" was that he hadn't heard other competing aftermarket streamers, and could only compare the streamer to his tricked out Mac Mini. That was more than a weakness in my mind, it kind of sucked the life out his review.
So my question is, can anyone who has auditioned different streamers (Aurender/Sonore/Melco/Bryston. etc.) offer comparisons between the sound qualities they've heard in those products and the Salk Steamer III? I know there are some great streamers out there today, including Jim Salk's, and would love to get anyone's feedback.
Thanks
You may want to start a new thread on this topic.  I think you might get more feedback.  I certainly don't mind your post on this thread at all.  I'm fine with wherever the thread leads.

I only have 20 hours on the StreamPlayer but it did open up some last evening.  Pete is shipping my TWL USB cable today.  I'll report back when I have some more hours on it and start ripping my CD collection.

dpatters

« Reply #35 on: 1 Nov 2016, 01:26 pm »
Downloaded dBpower amp and started ripping some CDs.  I didn't encounter any problems so far.  I have 700 CDs or so in my modest collection and got about 50 or so done so far.  I'll just keep hacking away at it.

Received the TWL split power and data 2.0 usb cable but had a problem.  The TWL cable has some rather thick collars near the connector end and the usb 2.0 connectors on the StreamPlayer are too close together to attach both legs of the cable.  Pete of TWL is taking care of me on this one and has his "USB partner in crime", Dave of PI Audio construct a single leg cable for me. Need to keep ripping and get some more hours on the unit.  I usually like to get 100 hours before coming to final sound quality judgements but things are sounding pretty good.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #36 on: 1 Nov 2016, 01:50 pm »
BTW, the CD ripper in JRiver works pretty darned good. I had one CD that EAC would not copy even when I cleaned the disc twice. JRiver ripped it easily and put it into FLAC as I wanted and it sounds great.