GR Research H Frame OB Flatpack $250 + Shipping

jparkhur

GR Research H Frame OB Flatpack $250 + Shipping
« on: 24 Jul 2014, 11:35 pm »
Evening,

Many have called or emailed about these and have not really had time to get around to it so here it is.  Next week I will be done (there actually done already) finalizing flatpack H Frames built for the GR Research 12 inch woofer.  I have made statement pieces and speakers from leftover parts, but I hope this will help many out with trying to up their own personal systems.  The following will be applied and currently there are no changes in the works.

Will include:
American exterior glued 3/4 MDF sourced from KS- the stuff from Asia is so sawdust....
There will be a Baltic Birch model available as I can source 3/4  4x8 sheets right now too. Up charge =25 dollars isn
1.5 inch side panels
Knocked down edges
All pieces cut and packed in to a double cardboard enclosure
A simple bottom footer (aside from the 3/4 inch bottom)  This may have a round over or bevel....?
Holes cut and backed rounded over with a 3/4 inch bit

I have priced out shipping presently and it appears to be around 45 dollars plus or minus from 54601.  Of course this can change depending on your location.

The finished product will not be finished, this is up to you.
The finished product may requirer light sanding by hand.  As I have shied away from flat packs because I can not control the final product being put together.

I will post pictures middle of next week.  There will be three sets available right away and then I will make a mass production run of 10-20 individuals.  Payment can be made with PP, but I will add 3 percent, or you can send me a check. 

Jon
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2014, 01:59 pm by jparkhur »

jparkhur

Re: GR Research H Frame Flatpacks $250 + Shipping
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2014, 11:43 pm »
Some my past builds for quality control people....

These are made of Baltic

Baltic also

Baltic Birch also..

Captainhemo

Re: GR Research H Frame OB Flatpacks $250 + Shipping
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2014, 12:07 am »
Nice Jon, these  should be popular I'd think   :thumb:

-jay

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2014, 12:45 pm »
thread title is "flatpacks", but you stated this:
As I have shied away from flat packs because I can not control the final product being put together.
  So, I assume that $250 is for two assembled cabinets, correct? Or is it only one?

jparkhur

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2014, 12:46 pm »
Just one and they are flat packs only

jparkhur

Re: GR Research H Frame OB Flatpack $250 + Shipping
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2014, 02:48 pm »
Ok we appear to be ready to go. I have 6 single h frame flat packs with amp box too ready to ship.  The dimensions are roughly 30 x 15 x 18.   Ups is giving me home delivery fees of about 40 dollars from 54601.  This of course is dependent on were you live.  I am going to foam the corners and packing tight. This should be the best proactive way to get them home safely.  The images are exactly how the sub will look minus pocket screws.  The PS continually damaged the Mdf when drilled by someone unfamiliar with product.  No pocket screws.  The construction from bottom to top is as follows.

The following show the dry fit pieces

Bottom stand w 1/4 round over
Bottom sub
Four sides
Two internal divides
Spline with woofer round overs
Top with 1/4 round over
Amp box for drop in

jparkhur

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2014, 02:51 pm »
When you finish these, rolling on primer to non factory edges will take care and make a smooth evenly paintable surface.   Wood glue and some weight or claps will take you through the rest.  Plane on thirty minutes one day and another 20 minutes after glue dries.

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2014, 03:43 pm »
I might as well spill the beans....

I have a shipment of new woofers coming. The new SW-12-08FR is just like the 16FR version but in 8 ohms. So you can get a little more power out of the amp and a little more SPL when driving just two woofers.

I will still have the 16FR for applications of using three of them per amp.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul 2014, 06:20 pm »

I have a shipment of new woofers coming. The new SW-12-08FR is just like the 16FR version but in 8 ohms. So you can get a little more power out of the amp and a little more SPL when driving just two woofers.

Good deal. Nice to be able to get the most out of each design.

bdp24

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2014, 02:49 am »

Danny---Fantastic! Are all the specs besides Impedance the same?  Is there an approximate ETA? Same price as the 16 Ohm version?

bdp24

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2014, 03:03 am »
Jon---Is the entire baffle one solid piece of MDF with holes for both woofers, with the middle/half-depth/horizontal partitions glued to it, or is the middle partition one piece from front to back of the frame, with two separate baffles, each with a single woofer hole, glued between the partition/sides/and top or bottom?

jparkhur

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2014, 03:05 am »
The spline or baffle is one solid piece.  The separators are just like super v. 

Jp

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jul 2014, 03:20 am »
I think the new woofers will arrive by the end of August or so.

monte

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jul 2014, 02:20 pm »
Would it be hard to make speaker grills for these subs or do you just leave them open?

jparkhur

« Reply #14 on: 31 Jul 2014, 02:32 pm »
You could do either or.  I like the look of the open drivers but you could easily made a simple grill to cover them. 

Jon

Captainhemo

« Reply #15 on: 31 Jul 2014, 03:46 pm »
I  kind of like them open as well , however, with the H Frame I'm  currently working on,   I'm gong to  embed the magnets in the cabinet and build a  grill ,  not sure if I'll actually use it , but at least 

Just use some magnets like these :
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D44-N52

I'm going with 6   in both the cabinet and the  grill frame.

-jay

bdp24

« Reply #16 on: 31 Jul 2014, 05:03 pm »
The idea I came up with for grill frames is to make the outer layer of a 2-layer panel design extend past the inner layer by an inch. That would enable 3/4" grill frames to be inserted inside the H-Frame and attach to the front end of the inner ply, like the grills on 60's speakers. If that makes any sense :?.

monte

« Reply #17 on: 31 Jul 2014, 05:10 pm »
Thanks for the info. My wife is in on this too, Yahoo

jparkhur

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jul 2014, 05:23 pm »
You can use the same method.  Drill six holes in outer edges before paint and then make it go all the way to top edge.   Jp

bdp24

« Reply #19 on: 3 Aug 2014, 10:13 am »
Danny and/or Jon---Is the round over on the back of the baffle necessary for the frequency range of a sub such as these, used up to 180Hz? I ask because I plan on using bolts to secure the woofers, not screws, and I fear the round over will remove the MDF/BB the threaded inserts for the bolts need.