BRYSTON CD PLAYER SURVEY

Phil A

Re: BRYSTON CD PLAYER SURVEY
« Reply #60 on: 29 Jul 2014, 12:34 am »
Surely Phil, a brand new BCD-2 would find its way into one of the many systems you run.  :D
No back-breaking lugging of those Bryston amp beasts required either!

To the contrary, while I have arguably 6 systems (including the office system), forgetting resale value, I would not buy a used BCD-1 for $500.  I would glady grab a used BDA-1 for $500 and be quite happy.  At this point a CD player is just passe for me.  As I noted dbpoweramp takes no time to rip CDs.  A couple of hundred could easily be ripped in a few hours.  At this point there also is no need even for something to navigate through files that is difficult to use.  I have Oppo players in 4 of the systems (two 103Ds, a BDP-93 in the bedroom system and a modded BDP-83 in another and even have an old DV980h too).  If is quite easy to take a portable hard drive with tons of music and either play it from the USB input of the players.  I have the BDP-83 with a Teac DAC in one spare system.  Yes of course you need a monitor so if that is an issue for some that is understandable, however it really should not be a big deal.  I have a Meitner DAC and music server in the main system but it would not be an issue to take my hard drive into the Oppo 103D and I have an old computer monitor and an HDMI to DVI cable and it works fine (and a used monitor can easily be had for under $50 and a new one under $100).

Only have a Bryston 3BST left in a spare system at this point and I love the design and shallow depth.  I had it behind a TV in the old house and do in the current one.  I do have one non-Bryston amp that is heavy and I have owned a 14BSST and a 6BSST (up until recent times) so I understand about lugging heavy things around.  The Torus 20 amp conditioner is not light either.

Yes I do understand for some that the ease of taking out a disc and putting it in and having one box is nice.

myview

« Reply #61 on: 29 Jul 2014, 06:16 am »
My BCD-1 has served me faithfully for a few years and was still working well about a month ago when I last used it.  I do not use it that much nowadays, preferring the convenience of the BDP-1.  But I foresee that I will always have a working CD player with me (still have hundreds of CDs which have not yet been ripped).  One day, if the BCD-1 does not work anymore and is beyond repair, I will certainly buy its replacement in a heartbeat, preferably from Bryston.

Functions wise, I'd like this CD player to have both AES/EBU, SPDIF & if possible, USB digital inputs.

Phil A

« Reply #62 on: 29 Jul 2014, 02:20 pm »
I think a player with USB digital inputs makes a whole lot more sense vs. an ordinary traditional player.  Most cheap Blu-Ray players even have that feature.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #63 on: 29 Jul 2014, 07:46 pm »
  I think  James said that Bryston held back enough drives to amply repair  the BCD 1. I asked this  because I wanted to know that  I will be able to enjoy this player for as long as I wish.  ....However , I am open to a redone version with some of those features that have been mentioned as long as it 's 'redbook' priority  and as good , if not better that the BCD1.

MoPac

« Reply #64 on: 29 Jul 2014, 08:58 pm »
 I'll tell you one thing for sure.  If I was in the market for another CD player it would only be if it had digital in.  Nothing worse that junking a player with a good DAC. :nono:
 The only player I still have is the Denon DVD 5000 cause it has a digital in.  The drive crapped out long ago.

Rich

Rod_S

« Reply #65 on: 30 Jul 2014, 11:39 am »
Hi Rod

I can tell you with a dedicated CD drive SACD is not available.

james
Thanks James

That's to bad. I have a 300 disc Sony changer at present which serves it's purpose i.e. convenience but if I had the option of a high end Bryston that also did SACD that would have been something worth considering adding to my rack. Currently when I want to hear the best quality rather than just background music I take the disc out of the Sony and put it in my Denon DVD-A1 and use it's analog section as it has great DACs.

Phil A

« Reply #66 on: 30 Jul 2014, 02:58 pm »
Thanks James

That's to bad. I have a 300 disc Sony changer at present which serves it's purpose i.e. convenience but if I had the option of a high end Bryston that also did SACD that would have been something worth considering adding to my rack. Currently when I want to hear the best quality rather than just background music I take the disc out of the Sony and put it in my Denon DVD-A1 and use it's analog section as it has great DACs.

Rod, I can tell you that when I had the modded Oppo BDP-83 in my old system and the BDA-1 DAC I had an HDMI de-embedder (less than $50 at Monoprice but of course I used an upgraded power supply that was more than the unit - anything that works with the Squeezebox Touch will work) and while certain high frequencies were a bit better playing the SACDs via the Oppo, I much preferred converting SACD to 24/88.2 and going into the Bryston BDA-1.  The presentation/imaging was better.  Before I went to computer playback, I also tried the de-embedder with the Meitner DAC.  For those with SACDs that want to hear resolution higher than CD but don't want to move into computer, I'd highly recommend that solution.  You can get the DAC of your choice (like a BDA-2), have great CD playback, and great higher resolution from SACDs and can easily at some point rip music to a hard drive and use the DAC to playback ripped music without the hassle of some complicated interface.  To put SACD playback in the chain for a manufacturer, it means going to a different drive and then probably multiple clocks to playback different resolutions.  So if the goal is CD playback for its customers to use, it translates into more cost.

rmurray

« Reply #67 on: 30 Jul 2014, 08:44 pm »
  If it isn't CD it's no see me.!   LOL .... SACD records have nothing to offer me because my music and a lot of other music never came available. Sad to say perhaps but true in my case at least.  :thumb:

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #68 on: 31 Jul 2014, 12:28 am »
  If it isn't CD it's no see me.!   LOL .... SACD records have nothing to offer me because my music and a lot of other music never came available. Sad to say perhaps but true in my case at least.  :thumb:
Ain't that the truth!

1ZIP

« Reply #69 on: 31 Jul 2014, 02:02 am »
Then there is the economics.
 $5390 for a BDA/BDP-2 combo vs $3500.00 (just a guess)for a BCD-?.  I can buy many CD's for $1890.00.

Rod_S

« Reply #70 on: 31 Jul 2014, 11:21 am »
Rod, I can tell you that when I had the modded Oppo BDP-83 in my old system and the BDA-1 DAC I had an HDMI de-embedder (less than $50 at Monoprice but of course I used an upgraded power supply that was more than the unit - anything that works with the Squeezebox Touch will work) and while certain high frequencies were a bit better playing the SACDs via the Oppo, I much preferred converting SACD to 24/88.2 and going into the Bryston BDA-1.  The presentation/imaging was better.  Before I went to computer playback, I also tried the de-embedder with the Meitner DAC.  For those with SACDs that want to hear resolution higher than CD but don't want to move into computer, I'd highly recommend that solution.  You can get the DAC of your choice (like a BDA-2), have great CD playback, and great higher resolution from SACDs and can easily at some point rip music to a hard drive and use the DAC to playback ripped music without the hassle of some complicated interface.  To put SACD playback in the chain for a manufacturer, it means going to a different drive and then probably multiple clocks to playback different resolutions.  So if the goal is CD playback for its customers to use, it translates into more cost.

Thanks for the infromation. This seems like a really nice solution for 2 channel. For me however SACD is all about multi-channel so I only get stereo SACD's when there is no multi-channel available.

I certainly see where having a device play SACD's complicates things from Bryston's perspective as it appears you lose the ability to maintain the absolute best audio quality once they move away from a dedicated CD only drive.

Phil A

« Reply #71 on: 31 Jul 2014, 01:42 pm »
Thanks for the infromation. This seems like a really nice solution for 2 channel. For me however SACD is all about multi-channel so I only get stereo SACD's when there is no multi-channel available.

I certainly see where having a device play SACD's complicates things from Bryston's perspective as it appears you lose the ability to maintain the absolute best audio quality once they move away from a dedicated CD only drive.

If you have DSD files, the Oppo 103 can also supposedly do multi-channel DSD from an attached hard drive.  I've tried 2-channel with no problem and I have a bunch of multi-channel files too but have not gotten around to try them.  So I plan to use it for multi-channel DSD on the Opp and try playing a file at some point (I just put the hard drives on last week).

Phil A

« Reply #72 on: 31 Jul 2014, 01:54 pm »

Here is some additional info.  Oppo provides great support with their firmware updates.  That is one reason it is a good platform for those that want to do more than CD:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/news-flash-oppo-now-plays-dsd-files
https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-10x-Firmware.aspx

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #73 on: 1 Aug 2014, 06:44 pm »
  When this new player comes out  it would be nice to have a smoother tray. I love my BCD-1s but I do miss the classy feeling of my old sony ess player.   I would pay more to have this . :thumb:

GT Audio Works

« Reply #74 on: 1 Aug 2014, 07:01 pm »
  When this new player comes out  it would be nice to have a smoother tray. I love my BCD-1s but I do miss the classy feeling of my old sony ess player.   I would pay more to have this . :thumb:
I agree...The tray sound and motion is on the clunky side.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #75 on: 1 Aug 2014, 07:28 pm »
Yes the new drive has a very smooth and fluid motion.

James

mav52

« Reply #76 on: 1 Aug 2014, 07:34 pm »
Yes the new drive has a very smooth and fluid motion.

James

Would there be plans reuse the same Philips L1210 disc transport ?

What audio DAC would you use, reuse the same Crystal CS4398 chips or what ? 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #77 on: 1 Aug 2014, 08:09 pm »
Would there be plans reuse the same Philips L1210 disc transport ?

What audio DAC would you use, reuse the same Crystal CS4398 chips or what ?

No it's a new drive we found and the DACs would be the new AKM.

James

95Dyna

« Reply #78 on: 1 Aug 2014, 09:00 pm »
No it's a new drive we found and the DACs would be the new AKM.

James

Is that the AKM 4399 32 bit or is there a newer one?  That's what I have in my Esoteric K-05 and it's outstanding.  Makes the Music Choice Channels on cable TV sound like Hi Fidelity.  Sounds like you have the ingredients for a winner, James  :thumb:

rob80b

« Reply #79 on: 1 Aug 2014, 09:01 pm »
Hi James

If Bryston do indeed have plans for a new player any chance of putting the power button on the left hand side of the display away from the control buttons. Not too sure in the heat of the moment how many times I hit power off instead of play after loading a CD. :duh:
And yes a larger display always helps.