Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

mcrespo71

« Reply #40 on: 12 Jul 2004, 05:58 pm »
I saw Madonna at Continental Airlines Arena last Thursday.  Great production and decent sound for a stadium show.  I guess Esther still has it!

Tonight I have FRONT ROW seats to see Prince at MSG!!!  Life is good.

Michael

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #41 on: 12 Jul 2004, 06:10 pm »
Quote from: mcrespo71
I saw Madonna at Continental Airlines Arena last Thursday.  Great production and decent sound for a stadium show.  I guess Esther still has it!

Tonight I have FRONT ROW seats to see Prince at MSG!!!  Life is good.

Michael

On July 4th, I saw Diana Krall in MA.
I thought it was a great show!  8)

-Vinnie

mcrespo71

« Reply #42 on: 13 Jul 2004, 04:52 am »
I just saw Prince put on a sizzling live show at Madison Square Garden.  2 hours and 45 minutes of greatness!!  Damn, he can command a band and what a band he had with some of James Brown's backing band (i.e., Maceo Parker from the J.B.s).  He ripped it up and even did about 6-7 songs completely acoustic that were marvelous reworkings.  Glad someone with some talent is actually selling out the garden.  Go see him if you can.

Michael

craig223

Los Lonely Boys and Keb Mo
« Reply #43 on: 13 Jul 2004, 04:01 pm »
Los Lonely Boys opened for Keb Mo at Chastain Park in Atlanta several weeks ago.   What a great show by both bands!  People were dancing everywhere.  Chastain allows you to bring your own food, beverages, candles, tables, etc.  After dark, the candles are beautiful.  The best concert venue in the Southeast.

cjr888

« Reply #44 on: 15 Jul 2004, 11:30 am »
Ben Folds, Rufus Wainwright, Guster at Summerstage.
Lots of rain.  Lots of good music as well.

Occam

« Reply #45 on: 15 Jul 2004, 12:26 pm »
Ladysmith Black Mambazo - 3 weeks ago - Prospect Park Bandshell
Various Balkan Groups - 2 weeks ago, In front of Broolyn Central Library
Brooklyn Philharmonic - last week - Prospect Park Bandshell
Alloy Metal Orchestra - tonight at the Prospect Park Bandshell

Donate $50 and become a 'Friend of Prospect Park', and skip the lines for priority, excellent seating, and invites (4 so far) from corporate sponsors to pre-show coctail parties. You get food, drinks, superb varied music. The only thing missing is the drugs....

Next week I'll see 'They Might be Giants' at Prospect Park.
The only downside is that you need to remember that in Brooklyn, "The weak are killed.... and eaten."

Thump553

« Reply #46 on: 15 Jul 2004, 01:05 pm »
Thanks for reminding me-I need to pick up tickets for Gillian Welch for a $12.50 show this Friday.  Great performer, incredible price.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #47 on: 15 Jul 2004, 05:16 pm »
Just went to see Dianna Krall last night in SLC, Utah

She played in Abravanel Hall which is one of my absolute favorite venues.

It was a great show (with an opening group that was tons of fun but was very different in style from Dianna ...still good...too bad I don't recall their name).

Anyway, Dianna started at about 8:30pm and played until about 10:30pm.  Last time I saw her was about six years ago up in Washington State in a gorgeous vineyard (I don't recall the name of that vineyard).  Six years ago she was good but played a short show and hardly got involved with the crowd.  I was a little disappointed back then but part of the problem was they had to substitute for one of her players literally right before they got on staqe.  Her bass or guitar player who was driving up from Portland was caught in some accident or something and maybe that put a damper on her spirits then...who knows.

But this show was an absolute riot.

She was cracking jokes the whole time, interacted with the crowd, told us strories and played plenty of great music.  It was worth every penny (made even more sweet since the tickets were given to me and my wife).

They played two encores: the first encore she played with her 'band' and then she came out and did a sold encore afterwards.  It was just fantastic.

The audio wasn't the best (too loud for me at times and I kind of wish they might play acoustic just for a bit) but the performance and everything was absolutely top notch.  I think she is happier since her recent marriage to Elvis Costello (which she spoke of regularly through out  the show).

For anyone who is wondering about going to see her, I wouldn't hesitate and just go. :D

You will have a great time.

jackman

« Reply #48 on: 15 Jul 2004, 05:23 pm »
Tonight I have FRONT ROW seats to see Prince at MSG!!! Life is good.

You are a lucky man!  I don't know of anyone who can put on a show like that little guy from Minnesotta.  He's an amazing performer and a great musician.  He also always has a great band backing him up.  I hear his latest band is one of his finest.  I will pass on Ester, or whatever she is calling herself these days but the Purple one is always on my list of performers I love to see.

PS-Just got tickets for Lucinda Williams in Oregon for next week.  Also, going to see (per my wife) Leianne Rymes (sp?).  I love Lucinda, although she is a nervous live performer.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #49 on: 15 Jul 2004, 06:04 pm »
I love Lucinda!

She gets so nervous that one time when I saw her in a small club in NYC, she actually stopped 3/4 of the way into a song.  She told the audience that it wasn't as goos as she could do, and started over!

Enjoy the show.

George

ABEX

« Reply #50 on: 15 Jul 2004, 06:34 pm »
I saw Prince at the LA Colesium in the early 80's:
Prince
George Troughgood
J.Geils
The Rolling Stones as headliner

Prince put one of the worst shows I had  ever seen up to that point. The worst performce I had ever seen was Atlantic Rythm Section which played after Crack The Sky blew the roof off the place. They asked the crowd to get into the show,but it was to late as they were just boring and ruined their show even further by what they had said.

ohenry

« Reply #51 on: 15 Jul 2004, 06:37 pm »
I, too, saw ARS and it was weak.  Not enough cowbell.   :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't help it. . .

jackman

« Reply #52 on: 16 Jul 2004, 04:34 pm »
I've seen her reading the words on paper!  I've also seen Michael Stipe from REM do this in one of the worst concerts I have seen.  He just stood there and read from a spiral binder, ripping the pages out and throwing them on the floor between songs.  By the end of the concert there was paper all over the stage!  Luckily, Radiohead opened for REM (Before they made it big, around the "Bends" album) and TOTALLY blew them off the stage.  I have been a fan ever since and it's good to see them get the acclaim they deserve!

J

tybee

« Reply #53 on: 17 Jul 2004, 05:22 am »
I just returned from the Cowboy Junkies concert in Nashville.  Margo Timmins still has that great voice and the band is tighter than ever.

Good show.

mscdda

« Reply #54 on: 27 Jul 2004, 05:30 pm »
I saw Junior Brown on 7/18 at a small club called Ego's in Salt Lake City.  What a great show!  I've seen him play a few times and, man, he can play some smoking guitar (or guitsteel to be precise).  

Next up on the concert list:  going to see Phish play their last shows at the Coventry festival in Vermont.   Only two weeks away.

mcrespo71

« Reply #55 on: 5 Jan 2005, 04:50 pm »
Just saw Handel's Messiah performed at Carnegie Hall- the countertenors in that piece made me laugh my ass off.  I always thought they were girls on my recordings :lol:

Mingus Big Band and the Les Paul Trio at the Iridium during the last few months.  Both very good.  I used to see the Mingus Big Band at Fez on Lafayette, but I guess they moved from that venue.   Les Paul is just amazing.

Saw Graham Coxen from Blur in the fall at Bowery ballroom.  Low-fi gone crazy- truly bringing back memories of Pavement.

I'm going to see the London Symphony Orchestra (one of my favorite international orchestras) at the end of January at Carnegie.  

After going to Carnegie many times, the speakers that have similar tonal balances are the Harbeth monitor 30's and Quad ESL 57.  Frank's (csero) new system gets one closest to the overall experience, though.  As always, Frank you are truly the man!

Michael 8)

Horizons

• Restricted
« Reply #56 on: 19 Jan 2005, 06:55 pm »
Saw the Musical Box at the Henry Ford Theater in LA. The Musical Box is a Genesis 70's era tribute band. They performed the entire Lamb Lies Down on Broadway epic. It was incredible.

gongos

« Reply #57 on: 19 Jan 2005, 08:41 pm »
I saw John Cale a couple months ago in LA--an amazing show.

cjr888

« Reply #58 on: 20 Jan 2005, 04:29 am »
Seeing Rogue Wave in a week, and thinking of grabbing some eBay tickets for Brights Eyes, both in NYC.  Considering seeing the Jolie Holland show, and possibly Martin Sexton, whether at Irving, or at 9:30 in DC.

Warmcoffee

« Reply #59 on: 20 Jan 2005, 07:36 am »
Being in Canada I try to support Canadian bands. I went to see Avril Lavigne recently when she was at the Air Canada Center in Toronto for the Bones tour. I know she gets a lot of criticism but i had a great time.