Latest Music Archive: 12/29/02 - 01/04/03

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« on: 30 Dec 2002, 11:41 pm »
I just picked up:

Nas - I am
I'm a fan of Nas, but haven't listened to this one yet.

Beethoven - Symphonies 1, 2, 4, and 5
Conductor - Karl Bohm
Orchestra - Vienna Philharmonic
This is definitely an old school interpretation.  Not all that different from Barenboim's recent traversal of the symphonies.  I like the Barenboim better because the recording quality is superior, and the brass are more prominent, giving the interpretative style some much needed life.

Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique
Conductor - Charles Munch
Orchestra - Boston Symphony Orchestra
This is also an "older" performance (late 1950's or early 1960s), but is certainly not staid.  In fact it is pretty darn exciting.  Have enjoyed this one a lot, even though it's not the best sound quality (Davis on Philips is better recorded, and just as fine an interpretation, if a bit lacking in maniacal energy in comparison).

The Eroica Trio - Baroque
The photogenic classical piano trio's foray in to baroque music.  Wow, they can actually play, always a nice suprise when a group is being marketed by their looks.  This is a collection of several composers from the baroque era.  The Vivaldi and Bach outshine anything else here, but that's because they were geniuses :-)  Overall, I'd say they were not the best available performances, but they are not bad by any stretch, and you get to look at a couple of babes on the cover art.

bob82274

« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2002, 04:54 am »
Well I bought my first Classical CDs today.  For the past month or so I had been downloading songs just to get a feel on what kind of style I would like and wouldn't waste my money.  

Beethoven Symphony No. 9: George Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra

and

Mozart Symphonies Nos. 40 & 41: Karl Bohm and the Berlin Philharmonic

As I said I have just started in the classical genre so I am not familar as to how I like my interpretations and my conductors.  I guess we all have to start somewhere. :)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2002, 04:56 am »
I have both of those, and they are excellent.  Congrats on a great start!

Just remember that most people don't play classical music NEARLY loud enough.  It should be played loud in order to get the feel of the full power and glory of a full orchestra.  Otherwise, at too low of a volume, it sounds like elevator music :-)

nathanm

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2002, 05:22 am »
Easy for you to say, I bet you are a homeowner!  Ask the neighbors in my crappy apartment building how much they'd enjoy the full power and glory of my music!  Not much I'd imagine.  :cry:  You guys who sit in your nice homes cranking the tunes whenever you want oughtta count your blessings!

bob82274

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2002, 05:32 am »
I feel for ya nathan.  I live in a dorm and you can imagine how popular classical is with them.  No my classical will be most likely done with my headphones or when no one else is around.

george king

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2002, 05:30 pm »
I just picked up, and am listening to the new Bob Dylan Rolling Thunder Revue.  If you are a Bob Dylan fan, this is a no brainer must buy.  The recording is excellent considering it is a compilation from the 1975 tour.  However, this my be Dylan Live at his finest.

As a bonus, it comes with a DVD which contains 3 cuts of either multichannel, or PCM stereo (can't wait to hear this at home).

mgalusha

« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2002, 05:50 pm »
Rachmaninoff - Concerto No. 3 in D Minor, Op. 30
Eugene Ormandy/The Philadelphia Orchestra
Vladimir Ashkenazy - Pianist.

RCA Red Seal vinyl. 1976

A good friend has been slowly replacing his vinyl with CD's and I am the benefactor.  :P

dogberry

Here's Mine
« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2002, 06:11 pm »
Blodwyn Pig - Ahead Rings Out
Eagles - The Long Run
Free - The Free Story
Punch-Drunk Love ST
Slade - Feel the Noize
Spock's Beard - Snow
Sting - Dream of the Blue Turtles
UFO - Essential UFO

circularduck

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jan 2003, 12:26 am »
Opeth - Deliverance
Ark - Burn the Sun
Symphony X - The Odyssey
Matthew Good Band - Beautiful Midnight
Matthew Good Band - Last of The Ghetto Astronauts

I've only listened to each CD once or twice, not enough to form a strong opinion, but I don't dislike any of them anyway :)

dogberry,  what do you think of the Spock's Beard?  I've been hearing very mixed reviews of it.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 2 Jan 2003, 12:31 am »
What is Nas?  Never heard of them before.  What genre of music are they?  Not classical is it?

I agree about the Eroica Trio, on both count.  They're very beautiful ladies and they really are talented.

I've really been looking hard for a good, preferably modern recording of Howard Hansons Romantic Symphony.  I say modern in the sense that I'd like a low noise, nice sounding recording (not that some of the older ones don't sound good, tho).  This isn't a peice that you'll find in every mall CD stores bins.  Seems like the Nordic Symphony gets more attention.

dogberry

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2003, 01:13 am »
Quote from: circularduck
dogberry,  what do you think of the Spock's Beard?  I've been hearing very mixed reviews of it.

I dig it.  I'm a total SB fan.  If you like old school prog, these guys do it best.  Snow is an epic 2 CD set.  Buy it now!

bubba966

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jan 2003, 02:59 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
What is Nas?  Never heard of them before.  What genre of music are they?  Not classical is it?

:lol: It's proabably as far from classical as you can get. Nas is a rapper. :guns:

PJ

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jan 2003, 05:55 am »
Havent got anything new for about 2 months now..havent seen anything I want.

It was John Digweed and Sasha, three of their CD's.

Northern Exposure Original
Northern Exposure Westcoast
Northern Exposure Eastcost.

The original is the best electronic CD I know of, and IMO is a must have for anyone into electronic. Its very laid back...I mean even my parents like it.

Its from 1996...the fact thats its IMO still the best is saying something. Its on pretty much every top 10 electronic music lists at amazon.com

bob82274

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jan 2003, 02:50 pm »
I have listened to Westcoast and enjoyed that PJ.  Also enjoyed Airdrawndagger by Sasha.  Some of the best driving music if you ask me.  Driving and studying.  Mmmmmm.... 5 channel Stereo.  Poor neighboors.

mojoman

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jan 2003, 11:54 pm »
I just got Pickin' in the Beatles, Vol 1 & 2.  It's bluegrass instrumentals of 24 Beatles covers.  Good players, interesting arrangments.

Also got Robert Randoph and the Family Band - Live at the Wetlands.   Randoph plays a 13 string pedal steel guitar and is an amalgam of SRV, Jimi, Duane Allman, Coltrane, Jeff Beck etc.  Freakin amazing player.

bill

calsaint

« Reply #15 on: 3 Jan 2003, 03:50 am »
I got kinda lucky on 3 shot in the dark picks:
1. Elbow - Asleep in the Back
2. Coldplay - Rush of Blood
3. The Church - After Everything Now This

Elbow is darker (miserable?). I'd say the others are kinda pop/U2 wannabes. All three are getting alot of play for me.

cjr888

« Reply #16 on: 3 Jan 2003, 04:07 am »
Quote from: calsaint
I got kinda lucky on 3 shot in the dark picks:
1. Elbow - Asleep in the Back
2. Coldplay - Rush of Blood
3. The Church - After Everything Now This

Elbow is darker (miserable?). I'd say the others are kinda pop/U2 wannabes. All three are getting alot of play for me.

Elbow I definitely like.  If I'm remembering correctly, I highly took the first track, but interest began to fade towards the rest...  Haven't pulled it out in awhile.  My impression was one of those when you hear a single song, and then wish every song had something like that...

The latest Coldplay album I liked -- some tracks I breeze through a bit, but there's 2-3 that have something to it that's extremely catchy and addictive.  The song that gets decent radio play (forget track title) has an extremely addictive, repetitive piano melody.

Never really got into The Church too, too much, but haven't heard them in ages.

jonwb

« Reply #17 on: 3 Jan 2003, 05:38 am »
I got Stevie Wonder - The Definitive Collection for Christmas this year.  Some of his songs are among my all-around favoites.  There are a whopping  :o  (had to use an Emoticon!) 21 tracks on this CD.  The recordings are overall - quite clean, but they to vary a bit because of the age of some of the tracks.

The whole middle of the CD is fantastic!  But track 12 (You Haven't Done Nothin') is a standout for me.  If you have a system that can make some bass (sub-woofer or au-natural) you will love this track... and oh those horns!  I turn it up so loud my lazy dogs leave the room.

Get it~!

calsaint

« Reply #18 on: 3 Jan 2003, 03:00 pm »
Stevie is great. I still cannot understand why my girlfriend doesn't like his stuff ..

jonwb

« Reply #19 on: 3 Jan 2003, 06:21 pm »
Quote from: calsaint
Stevie is great. I still cannot understand why my girlfriend doesn't like his stuff ..

Yea, my wife seems sort of luke warm to his music... I think the fact that I always crank it up when I'm playing this CD bothers her the most.  Funny thing is that my daughter, who is 8, and had obviously never heard much Stevie, kinda likes it.  Maybe there is hope for woman-kind after all.  :D