Anyone read Kind of Blue book?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Anyone read Kind of Blue book?
« on: 10 Dec 2017, 04:54 am »
Iam thinking buy this SACD, anyone read Kind of Blue book?

rockadanny

Re: Anyone read Kind of Blue book?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2017, 06:22 pm »
Hi FRM, Yes, I've read it. It was a few years ago so don't recall much other than thoroughly enjoying it. I thought it was terrific.  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2017, 08:44 pm »
Hi, to have a idea from what to expect on SQ do you would inform me according this book CBS recorded this album in what tape speed?

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2017, 08:55 pm »
There are two books actually with almost exactly the same title, one by Ashley Kahn,  Kind of Blue: The Making of the Miles Davis Masterpiece and the other by Eric Nisenson, The Making of Kind of Blue: Miles Davis and His Masterpiece. I enjoyed both but I give a slight preferential nod to the Kahn. Both will give you a wealth of new information. Highly recommended.

Btw, James Gavin’s Deep in a Dream, the Long Night of Chet Baker is also worth the read.

rockadanny

« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2017, 11:53 pm »
I would normally walk over to my bookshelf in my home office and look up for you, but I am out of town on temporary assignment for two more months. Sorry. (the version I read was by ashley kahn)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2017, 11:56 pm »
No prob :thumb: Thanks

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2017, 12:59 am »
I have the Nisenson book but was not familiar with the other one; thank you!

Regarding tape speed, I believe 15 or 30 ips would have been fairly standard at the time.

By far the best K.O.B. I've heard is from HDTracks. This version sampled the tape at an extremely high frequency using a special head- not because a '50's pre-Dolby analog tape needs that kind of bandwidth for audio playback, but because the high bandwidth allows the producer to 'see' the bias signal on the tape. Think about this: When the bias signal was generated, it was an electronic steady-state signal. When they play back the tape, there are variations in the frequency of this signal which correspond to wow and/or flutter on the master tape. By performing digital processing on the high sample rate source, they can literally use this signal to tune out almost all wow or flutter in the original master tape. The result is quite an ear-opener- much more clear and- surprisingly- noticeably lower hiss. The process is called the Plangent Process, and here is an explanation along with some before-and-after documentation. I don't know if that SACD is done from the Plangent remaster, but if it is, your ears are in for even more of a treat.

'Kind of Blue' is a masterpiece and rewards listening on anything, at any time.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2017, 08:40 pm »
Regarding tape speed, I believe 15 or 30 ips would have been fairly standard at the time.
Never heard about a US company rec in 30'' in the analogue days, if it was 15'' I will be surprised, very.