DA1s vs DA1.1s

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
DA1s vs DA1.1s
« on: 18 Feb 2016, 01:50 pm »
Hello,
There's a pair of handsome DA-1s for sale on Audiogon. (I have no cnnection to seller.) Searching this site, it seems that the majority of posts are about folks upgrading to the DA-1.1 or selling their DA-1s and upgrading to the Ulysseys.

Does anyone have the DA-1s and would you comment on their performance? I'm curious as to why it seems that people appear to have been really anxious to have the upgrade done. I was interested in the DA-1s until I saw all the posts about the DA1.1s and wonder now if I would be better off waiting for a DA1.1 to come on the used market.
Best,
Lester Sleepsin

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
Re: DA1s vs DA1.1s
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2016, 12:25 am »
I'm sure there will be a few comments from people who have owned both....

The DA-1 and DA-1.1 are very different, crossover design and all the drivers except the 8" woofers are completely different.
There was just no way to offer an upgrade path on the original DA-1.

Sonically the original does have the Daedalus "signature" sound; full, rich, natural,  but the DA-1.1 especially when upgraded is several steps up in terms of balance, detail, imaging, resolution etc. that being said the DA-1.1 also goes for much more money. The ARgos which is essentially the current version of the DA-1.1 is $13,850 and used ones get 70-80% of that. Also used DA-1.1 (especially that have the upgrades) rarely come up for sale. Most of their owners treat them as lifetime speakers.

In the price range that used DA-1's go for they are still a great speaker, musical, efficient, nice woodwork and with no listener fatigue.

hope this helps?
thanks,
lou

dodgealum

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2016, 07:45 pm »
Lester:

I had a pair of the original DA-1s, upgraded to the DA-1.1s and then had all of the upgrades to these (AP Crossover, V2 Upgrades, Trim Rings, ETC) except for the new 8" woofers. I would confirm what Lou has said--even without the upgrades the DA-1.1 is quite superior to the original DA-1. Both share several key similarities (absence of fatigue, seamless integration of drivers, correct tonality) but the unmodified DA-1.1 is far more resolving, spacious and dynamic sounding. With the above referenced mods, the DA-1.1 becomes a keeper for life. That said, since introducing the DA-1.1 Lou has added greater variety to his lineup, including several speakers that are less expensive than his full range offerings but deliver VERY high performance. For example, the Muse, which I heard at CAF, is a really nice sounding speaker that gives you a good taste of his larger and more elaborate models. Though I have not heard it, my understanding is that the Athena is also a very strong performer and an excellent value for money. My suggestion would be to chat with Lou about your room, current system, hopes and dreams, and see if you can swing a current production pair that reflects all of his latest thinking about speaker design. I think you will be much happier going this route than spending $4K on a pair of DA-1s which cannot be upgraded and which do not embody the whole of Lou's talent and experience.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2016, 10:06 pm »
Thanks very much Lou and Dodgealum. I received a few PMs about this as well. All suggested I save my money and keep looking, while looking higher, which I will. I know Daedalus are in my future but I'm in no rush.

Thanks so much,
Lester Sleepsin

vinyl_lady

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2016, 05:40 am »
I also started with the DA-1s and sold them to a friend after I heard the DA-1.1s. Like dodgealum, I have had all of the upgrades to the DA-1.1 (AP crossover, V2 upgrades, internal wiring, Trim rings). Recently I had the 8" drivers replaced with Lou's new 8" drivers. Every upgrade took the performance to a higher level. They are speakers for life. I think Dodgealum described the difference between the original DA-1 and DA-1.1 very well. The Muse, Pan and Athenas are great sounding speakers too.

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2016, 07:25 am »
Hi,

I just checked out the DA - 1's for sale on Audiogon and they are only going for 4K and the price seems pretty fair.  But I'm and sure you could also obtain them for a little cheaper as well.  Perhaps buy these and sell them in the future for not much of a loss.  Its up to you though.

Cheers Rod

vinyl_lady

« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2016, 02:33 pm »
I sold my DA-1s in 2008 for $3K. $4K seems a little steep. IMO, the OP would be better off saving his money and keep looking.