Finallly an "Ikea" Speaker

Doublej

Finallly an "Ikea" Speaker
« on: 1 Nov 2014, 11:15 am »
The "Ikea" version of Linkwitz's new LXMini. No drilling, no painting, just assembly. Very ice for someone like me who can't cut a straight line on a table saw.

Unfortunately (for me) there's no US distributor for this. Madisound has a kit but the wood pieces need finishing and is does not come with the required tubes.

http://www.magiclx521.com/news.html

Add the electronics (mini DSP and 4 channel amplifier) and you are good to go!

A possible project for next spring.

jk@home

Re: Finallly an "Ikea" Speaker
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2014, 11:55 am »
AFAIK, the tubes are just PVC piping one can get at the big box/plumbing stores. But to get the best cuts would still require an electric chop saw, or at least a miter box.

It is nice to have a complete option. I entertained building the LX521, but came to the conclusion it would be too big for the room. This new model is inexpensive enough just to try for fun. I have an old Rotel receiver with multichannel analog I/Os so all I would need is the MiniDSP (which actually comes with the driver kit from Madisound).

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2014, 12:18 pm »
As you have stated, the tubes are just plumbing pipe that you can get from the store but you have to cut both the top and down tube and drill about 10 holes in each top tube. If you go with plumbing pipe you'll have markings down length of the tube. I don't know if the Magic kit tubes have any markings on them.

I am going to ask a friend if he has a chop saw or miter box. That may address my personal issue of not being able to make clean, square cuts by hand. I wonder if a drill press and vice would give me the ability to make properly drilled holes in the top tube. That might address my other concern, though I'd have to find one.

As you have stated the Madisound kit is a much better value in the US but requires more work. The tradeoffs in life...

If you decide to build these let us know how they turn out.

jk@home

« Reply #3 on: 1 Nov 2014, 12:36 pm »
PVC is pretty easy to drill into, like butter :). I would think just placing the pipe in a vice (protecting the finish with rags) and using a hand drill would suffice. I would use a center punch to dimple the hole marks first.

Also, acetone will usually remove the markings on the piping (which pretty much what clear "pipe clearer" is). It will dull the finish of the pipe, so best to put on some gloves and wipe down the entire pieces, for uniformity.

I just posted a question on their forum about using these speakers in a hot tub room, so will see if I get any positive answers.  :duh: :lol: