Salk-Amplifier Pairings

Magnatest

Re: Salk-Amplifier Pairings
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jan 2014, 01:32 pm »
I understand the WAF completely. I didn't want to settle for an integrated amp for my SS8's. So, the mono amps needed to be small, but not digital. I found the Odyssey Khartago mono amps to fit the bill very nicely. I didn't want the amps to stick out visually, due to the lettering on the front. I talked to Klaus at Odyssey and he built me a pair with completely black faceplates. They just have a single led in the middle to indicate they are powered up.

If I could have hidden the amps behind the speakers or in some other way, I would have gotten Odyssey Stratos mono amps. But, they are about 7" tall and the Khartagos are about 4" tall. I doubt these would work out due to WAF, but I thought I should mention them. These are a bargain.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=122025.msg1292528#msg1292528

Klaus could provide new faceplates. They come in many colors.

I've read many reviews concerning power required to drive the SS8's. Power ratings of the amps don't really tell you how they'll handle the load. The amps need to be stable with low impedance loads and be high-current. I think you'll find the pairing of Salk and Odyssey to be fairly common. The synergy is very good, especially with a good tube preamp.

Gregg

taenk

« Reply #21 on: 25 Jan 2014, 10:43 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions. Based on the input and further research, my choices are becoming more focused. After the recommendation by SCompRacer, the new Musical Fidelity M6500i has become a lead contender along with the Rogue pharaoh and McIntosh MA6700/6600. Also also still mulling over the Hegel H300. While the Odyssey Khartago suggested by Magnatest are interesting, I would still need a pre and the current room just isn't set up for that. 

Not to change topic of this post - and I am still interested in opinions on good integrated for the SS8 -  but it is interesting that based on feedback in this forum and my research it has been repeatedly stated that an integrated cannot perform at the same level as separates. As stated by Magnatest "I didn't want to settle for an integrated amp for my SS8's." I am relatively new to the audiophile arena and don't have much hands-on experience with moderate-high end equipment ; however it seems to me that in my $3,000 - $5,000 price range, the performance gap between separates and integrated has greatly narrowed in recent years and that some top integrateds can outperform separates on a given system. It is all about synergy with your system components and, of course, one's personal musical  taste and listening preferences.

Thanks again and please let me know if anyone has had an opportunity to listen to any of the amps mentioned in the previous paragraph with SS8's or HT2 and/or which would have the best synergy with Salk.

Paul K.

« Reply #22 on: 25 Jan 2014, 11:57 pm »
I have no experience with any of the recommended amplifiers, but if an integrated amp has ample power, can put out commiserate current and its preamp section is up to par with the power amp, I see no reason to shun it just because it's integrated, especially in your stated price range. 
Paul

Thanks for all the suggestions. Based on the input and further research, my choices are becoming more focused. After the recommendation by SCompRacer, the new Musical Fidelity M6500i has become a lead contender along with the Rogue pharaoh and McIntosh MA6700/6600. Also also still mulling over the Hegel H300. While the Odyssey Khartago suggested by Magnatest are interesting, I would still need a pre and the current room just isn't set up for that. 

Not to change topic of this post - and I am still interested in opinions on good integrated for the SS8 -  but it is interesting that based on feedback in this forum and my research it has been repeatedly stated that an integrated cannot perform at the same level as separates. As stated by Magnatest "I didn't want to settle for an integrated amp for my SS8's." I am relatively new to the audiophile arena and don't have much hands-on experience with moderate-high end equipment ; however it seems to me that in my $3,000 - $5,000 price range, the performance gap between separates and integrated has greatly narrowed in recent years and that some top integrateds can outperform separates on a given system. It is all about synergy with your system components and, of course, one's personal musical  taste and listening preferences.

Thanks again and please let me know if anyone has had an opportunity to listen to any of the amps mentioned in the previous paragraph with SS8's or HT2 and/or which would have the best synergy with Salk.

Rocket

« Reply #23 on: 26 Jan 2014, 12:44 am »
Hi,

The modwright kwi 200 is just within the budget that you quoted at $4999US.  The amplifier has been well reviewed and modwright has a stirling reputation for customer service and quality products.  I had my Perpetual Technologies p3a modified to level 2 and I also had the beta version of his first preamplifier.

I personally would be trying to listening the amplifier in my system before I bought it unless it had a return policy like AVA has.  Whilst I don't own a pair of Salk SS8's I did have a pair of the original HT2's and I now have the HT3's (I couldn't pony up for the SS8's) so I know how good the products are.  I use a pair of Spread Spectrum Technologies Ampzilla 2000's which I think now retail for $9000US and the speakers certainly rise to the occasion.  Some of the amplifiers you've mentioned would be a little lower in quality than I would suggest but its up to you after all.

Good luck with your choice.

Regards Rod

SCompRacer

« Reply #24 on: 26 Jan 2014, 02:00 am »

The MF Tri Vista 300 has an external power supply which makes it not quite an all integral integrated but that gave it the current capability needed for low efficiency speakers. It also has a tube pre. I haven't heard the M6500i, but it is all SS. Not sure how it compares in SQ.

Like you mention, synergy and listening tastes vary. All SS can be neutral and dry sounding to some. I prefer jfet type designs for SS pres, and even then with some amps they can be neutral or sterile sounding to some. It took a Class A amp to make it all come together for me with my SS pre. Good luck in your quest!

revrob

« Reply #25 on: 30 Jan 2014, 02:46 am »
The best integrated I ever heard with my Salk HT3 was the LSA Signature Integrated Amplifier, there was something magic about this pairing. In fact it was the best integrated I ever heard or owned. You can find some really great pricing now on their amps. I actually bought two different LSA, the Standard and then the Signature. Sold my Salks, wish I hadn't but had to pay tuition for my son's college.

I would put the LSA amps on your short list. I disagree with the separates vs the integrated. The right integrated can work wonders if it has the proper synergy. I am tempted to buy another LSA in the future. Good luck in your search.

Peace.

vkohl

• Restricted
« Reply #27 on: 1 Nov 2014, 04:38 am »
Going to be using a integrated Musical Fidelity A5 with the HT3. This MF A5 puts out 400 watts into 4ohm. Hope thats enough power. The best thing about the A5 is its versatility. With one push of a button i can use it as a 2 channel integrated for music with my Marantz 15S1 SACD...OR use it as just a pure power amp running my front L/R in my home theatre. Got it for $1200.

gregcss

« Reply #28 on: 1 Nov 2014, 02:23 pm »
I need 5 channel otherwise I'd love to try the AVA Synergy. Now I can't decide between Outlaw 7500 and Wyred MMC-5.  :scratch:. I really like the small size of the mmc.

kneat

« Reply #29 on: 4 Nov 2014, 07:39 pm »
Just wanted to provide an update on my system. While originally intending to pair my new SS8s with an integrated due to WAF, I received the go ahead to "get a system that I liked" as long as it didn't exceed two separate components :o. After considerable deliberation based on research, listening room sessions, input from fellow Salk circle members, conversations with Jim and Frank, and hours trolling AudiogoN, I finally pulled the trigger.  My new system consists of an Ayon Audio CD-5s as my pre/CD/DAC connected to a GamuT D200i Power Amp via Silnote Audio Poseidon Signature interconnects with  DIY 10 gauge speaker cables. The Ayon and GamuT were both purchased through the 'Gon at 40% of retail which brought them into my price range.

In summary, I am tremendously pleased with the sounds emanating from my new system. This was expected since I was upgrading from an 80's vintage Onkyo integrated and B&W speakers. As everyone here knows, the SS8s are fantastic - no longer listening to speakers but to music (although it did take about a week of listening to break my ears in to the new sound). The Ayon paired with the GamuT provide a great sound with the Ayon tubes melding nicely with the solid state power amp. I heartily recommend this pairing with the Salk's. I just want to thank everyone here for indulging my questions during my quest and to Jim for producing a superb product for the money.

« Last Edit: 4 Nov 2014, 10:37 pm by kneat »