Nuprime DAC-10 and ST-10

Jos Lohuis

Nuprime DAC-10 and ST-10
« on: 17 Jan 2018, 09:20 am »
Hello,

I bought last Year the Supreme DAC10-H and the ST-10 together with the SOTM SMS-200 as a Roon endpoint and Dynaudio Contour S 1.4 LE speakers.  I'm very happy with this configuration, I enjoy the sound.
Since a week I have issues, after playing a hour I hear no sound. The blue power on lights from the DAC and ST are burning and Roon shows that the music is playing. After powering off the ST-10 and DAC-10H for 30 minutes and power on everything works again. This morning it happens me 3 times.

Is someone having a clue?

Kind Regards,
Jos Lohuis
Netherlands.

slash71

Re: Nuprime DAC-10 and ST-10
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2018, 12:30 pm »
check USB connection first , and try to reboot SOTM instead of DAC... ,  probably SOTM lock to DAC issue.

JackD

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2018, 04:03 pm »
Agreed, most likely a streaming issue especially if it involves Tidal. 

Jos Lohuis

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2018, 04:12 pm »
Next time I will restart the SOTM and see if it works and will report it here.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2018, 08:05 pm »
It may be worth it to have a second source hooked so you can check if the problem is limited to one source or if it affects the entire DAC stage.

Hope this helps,
Rafa.

Jos Lohuis

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2018, 04:08 pm »
Today no issues.
I connect the Sony TV via a optical cable with the DAC,  when the issue reoccur I try if the TV works via the DAC.
Then I restart the Sign.

Jos

Jos Lohuis

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2018, 11:47 am »
Same issue today.
I tried the sound of the TV via the optical cable, that didn't work.
Restarting the sotm didn't also work.
Options:
- replacing usb cable?
- dac-10, when I stop the music via remote Room or changing the input to Opt I see the display of the dac-10 changing to o
- st-10, power off and on after 30 minutes waiting it is working?

Other options?

Jos

jonbee

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2018, 01:25 pm »
You need to isolate the problem to dac or source.
TV through optical often has problems on many dacs due to format issues. Try the analog inputs or another digital source, such as cd or dvd.

Jos Lohuis

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2018, 04:17 pm »
I tried the optical cable from the TV before the issue and it worked.
Next step: if the issue reoccur I will power of the ST-10 and not the DAC, after 30 minutes power on of the ST-10 and see if it works.

Jos

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2018, 06:03 pm »
Could either equipment be overheating?  Do you have them well ventilated and 'free'? Do you have them stacked?  Which is on top?

When the issue happens, can you stand the heat on the cover of both ST and DAC? Do they seem warm leaning to hot or are they really burning?  I can keep my hand flat to the surface indefinitely, no matter how hot it gets.
I have the ST-10 on top because it is the one that gets hotter.  But still, they are well ventilated and 'free' in the room.  Could this be part of the problem?

Best regards,
Rafa.

seikosha

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2018, 06:06 pm »
I tried the optical cable from the TV before the issue and it worked.
Next step: if the issue reoccur I will power of the ST-10 and not the DAC, after 30 minutes power on of the ST-10 and see if it works.

Jos

One more thing to try...if you haven't already...when it's stopped, have you cycled through the inputs to see if that triggers sound again?

Jos Lohuis

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2018, 06:12 pm »
Yes, I tried switching inputs but no music.

Jos

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #12 on: 19 Jan 2018, 10:27 pm »
Jos, I think my heating theory may apply to your situation.  Give it a go and see if they are 'protecting' themselves by shutting down (I don't know if there are security cut outs built into the systems)

Jos Lohuis

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jan 2018, 11:01 am »
This morning the same issue.
I powered off only the st-10 and not the dac-10, after 30 minutes waiting I powered on the st-10  and I hear the music.
My conclusion is that the st-10 is the issue owner.

I call my nuprime supplier.

Jos

rustydoglim

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jan 2018, 06:54 pm »
You can test ST-10 simply using a 3.5mm to RCA Y cable using analog source (headphone out from smartphone or laptop, remember to turn down the volume).
But you have been using the same system for over a year, and then suddenly you have problem. So now the problem seems to be ST-10 shutting down after playing for some time.  I suspect it is the power supply relay board (this tiny board turns on the power shortly after AC switch is on, to avoid turn on pop) failure. The transformer inside ST-10 is unlikely to failure. And this can't be the amp board either (otherwise it would have no sound at all).

Regardless, we can ship the parts to your dealer/distributor for service, it will be faster than sending the ST-10 back to the distributor.  Your dealer/distributor would know how to use our helpdesk to request for parts.

Jos Lohuis

« Reply #15 on: 21 Jan 2018, 09:40 pm »
Thanks for your answer, I send your answer also to the Nuprime dealer. He will contact the distributor on Monday.

Jos

Jos Lohuis

« Reply #16 on: 22 Jan 2018, 11:20 am »
This morning I connected the Y cable and waited for the issue(I tested before if the Y cable was working with my smartphone and it was working).
When the issue occurred I tested the Y cable and it was not working, via the DAC it was also not working.
After 30 minutes I powered the DAC and ST on and both are working.

The ST-10 is the issue owner, I reported this also to the dealer.

Thanks for your support on this forum.

Jos

rustydoglim

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jan 2018, 07:46 pm »
Please provide this important test info when your dealer/distributor report to our support help desk so that the factory can send the parts instead of asking a series of questions all over again.

Jos Lohuis

« Reply #18 on: 26 Jan 2018, 04:06 pm »
Today I brought the st-10 to the repair technician from the distributor any gave them all the information mentioned above.
Now waiting.

Jos

Jos Lohuis

« Reply #19 on: 13 Feb 2018, 03:26 pm »
The st-10 is repaired, it was the standby power supply.
It is now playing.

Thanks for your support.

Jos