The Difference That Matters

Wind Chaser

The Difference That Matters
« on: 21 Sep 2009, 11:04 pm »
Don't know if this has ever been addressed before, but what and how big are the differences in sound quality between Virture One and Two?  Even though these amps are no longer available, it still is a relevant question to those seeking what they can find on the used market.

dvenardos

Re: The Difference That Matters
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2009, 11:07 pm »
Funny that you post this. I will be making this comparison this evening.

Don't know if this has ever been addressed before, but what and how big are the differences in sound quality between Virture One and Two?  Even though these amps are no longer available, it still is a relevant question to those seeking what they can find on the used market.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2009, 11:37 pm »
I'll be taking off shortly for a few days, but I look forward to reading your report.  Will you be using the same PS for each amp?

dvenardos

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2009, 12:22 am »
Okay, I won't feel pressured to post the results right away. :)
Yes, 30/90 on both.

I'll be taking off shortly for a few days, but I look forward to reading your report.  Will you be using the same PS for each amp?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2009, 12:52 am »
No pressure, just seeking insight.  Looking forward to your assessment.

BTW, that's the same PS I'm using with a V-1.

dvenardos

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2009, 03:48 am »
One guys assessment of One versus Two.
Full disclosure, I have a Two from the the second production run and acquired a used One which I immediately loaned out to a forum member for which I have great respect. That forum member found little difference between the One and Two, so I was not expecting a big difference between the two. I also have met Seth (the Virtue owner) and consider him to be a great guy. My Two has turned me into a tripath lover, but I have learned that system synergy can make a huge difference. I am by no means an audio expert, but do know what I like. I believe that blind tests are the best evaluation, but am unable to do that in this evaluation.

System:
SB3->Channel Islands VDA-2->Outlaw 970 in analog bypass->Outlaw ICBM with 40hz high pass->Virtue->av123 Strata Mini
Under 40hz low passed to Outlaw LFM-1EX.

I used the same 30/90 power supply for comparing the One to the Two and manually switched the speakers from the One to the Two. Both the One and the Two had the volume pot bypassed.

Testing:
My system excels at acoustics and female vocals and I choose two albums that I know well and maximize my system strengths.
First up was Norah Jones Come Away with Me.
I switched back and forth between the One and Two numerous times on the title track "Don't Know Why". The best way I can describe the difference is that the One sounds like a good recording and the Two sounds live. I moved on to listen to the next couple songs listening alternatively for extended periods between the One and the Two. It was clear to me that on Norah Jones that the Two had the magic and the One was lacking. I decided to move on to something else.

Next up was Imagine by John Lennon. With Norah Jones I started with the One and switched to the Two, so I decided to start with the Two and switch to the Two. Again, it was the same for me. The Two had a much more live feel to me than the One and after a few songs in, I just hooked the Two back up.

So, if I were to rate the One and the Two on a one to ten scale. I would give the One a 7 and the Two a 9. YMMV

Cheerwino

« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2009, 01:21 pm »
Thanks dvenardos! Perhaps the Sensation will go to 11, then.  :thumb:

panomaniac

« Reply #7 on: 22 Sep 2009, 03:17 pm »
This one goes to 11. LOL!

Thanks for the review, always good to know what others are thinking and hearing.
I like the TWO better, it sounds richer and smoother to me, more like the real thing.  It's the amp I always want to come back to.