playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
Re: Vapor Audio Nimbus Black Carbonne Edition
« Reply #20 on: 22 Aug 2014, 12:51 pm »
Fantastic  :thumb:

*Scotty*

« Reply #21 on: 22 Aug 2014, 04:24 pm »
What you feel in your gut in part depends on the measured response in the bass region at the listening position. This in turn depends on the speaker's placement and how it loads the room. Most of the time imaging and bass response flatness are a balancing act involving tradeoffs between the two aforementioned qualities. Slightly relocating your loudspeakers could possibly improve the bass impact without compromising the imaging. If you try this mark your speakers original location before moving with a piece of tape. I use multiple subs to help flatten out the bass response in my room.
Scotty

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #22 on: 22 Aug 2014, 04:47 pm »
I recommend just running some measurements.  You'll see pretty quickly where the problem areas are.  I also recommend adding a sub to the side or rear wall some where.  What you have now is 2 speakers producing bass that are fairly symmetrical, and symmetry is about the last thing you want when loading a room with bass.  Adding a 3rd, non-symmetrical bass source will allow a smoother response (and thus, more kick) to the bass.

Oh, and the carbon finish looks phenomenal - and that's coming from someone that generally hates carbon fiber finishes!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #23 on: 22 Aug 2014, 05:09 pm »
Hey Adrian, there's no doubt the low octaves of the Nimbus are more capable than that of the Fremont ... no doubt at all.  But others are right, below 200hz you're hearing your room as much as you are the speakers.  People's account of 'fast' or 'tight' bass usually says more about how the room is working with said speakers than the speakers themselves. 

The Nimbus extends flat to 30hz, the Fremont rolls off well above that.  Chances are the Nimbus is exciting some room modes below 60hz that the Fremont didn't.  Measurements would tell the story.  Also since your room is rectangular, exact dimensions of W/H/L plugged into a room mode calculator would also be a good start.  Once you know and can see the modes, slight changes in placement of speakers AND you listening chair with that information can make a huge difference.  Also there's still a good chance I'll come to your place sometime in the next 6 months, I could also help with room measurements and setup then. 

Do you have any bass trapping currently? 

Love the vinyl wrap on the Merc!  Not sure about the scallops on the side, but the rest looks great ... now it just needs lowered, some rims, and tinted windows  :thumb:

audio.bill

« Reply #24 on: 22 Aug 2014, 06:10 pm »
I don't know what was going on with Stereophile's reported measurements of the Fremonts, but they were rated to go down to 18Hz. In this Positive Feedback review they go into some length describing their unique bass loading design. They also confirm that there is an additional internal 12" woofer. Their listening tests demonstrated that they have some of the best, deepest, and fastest bass they had ever heard.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #25 on: 22 Aug 2014, 07:58 pm »
Wow Ryan, those are really sexy!  :thumb:
I've been wanting to incorporate carbon fiber in something....anything... just "because".   :lol:

dex67

« Reply #26 on: 22 Aug 2014, 11:36 pm »
Bill, you're right…the Fremonts had the deepest, fastest and most impressive bass I've heard in my room…no bass traps, nothing…another speaker that sounded tight, although not that deep, was the Ascendo C-8 that i use to have…as i said, if the Fremonts and the Ascendo sounded tight in the same room, I expected the same from the Nimbus…

if Ryan is coming to visit, maybe him and I can do some moving around of the speakers to get better bass…

Adrian

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #27 on: 15 Sep 2014, 05:24 am »
Off topic posts removed ...

BTW, about 2 weeks ago I had a phone conversation with Adrian explaining how because the Nimbus go lower, flatter than any other speakers he's had in his relatively large room, likely the Nimbus is exciting a room node that the other speakers just couldn't touch.  Bass speed or lack there-of more often than not is due to room nodes causing energy storage and slow decay times.  Below 200hz you're hearing the room just as much as you're hearing the speakers. 

I suggested Adrian post pictures of his room in the Acoustics circle and ask for suggestions, don't just take it from me.  Since he hasn't done that yet, maybe others can share experience of bass trapping in room and it's impact on perceived bass tightness and speed. 

dex67

« Reply #28 on: 15 Sep 2014, 12:26 pm »
I've posted on the Acoustics Circle....few people had some suggestions...I'm still convinced that it has nothing to do with the room...I don't understand why the posts about the shipping were removed, but that's up to you to moderate the forum in any way you want...

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: 15 Sep 2014, 12:44 pm »
I've posted on the Acoustics Circle....few people had some suggestions...I'm still convinced that it has nothing to do with the room....
You can try to convince yourself of whatever you want.  The bottom line is that you do need them and what Ryan says is correct. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 15 Sep 2014, 01:42 pm »
The importance of room treatments can not be over stated. Most folks that wait to do them to last, generally make a comment about regretting not having done it first.
Funny thing is, they can be done pretty cheap but arguably make the biggest difference when compared to swapping amps, speakers, sources, etc..etc...

dex67

« Reply #31 on: 15 Sep 2014, 02:20 pm »
well, tomorrow afternoon I have 5 of my audiophile friends coming over and we will be listening to 4 different pair of speakers: my Nimbus, the cheap Focal 706 monitors, Escalante Design Pynions, and KEF R700...we plan on keeping everything else the same...actually, I'll be changing my Dana Cable Diamond speaker cables with a pair of Transparent speaker cables to accommodate for the different binding posts...we shall see...or hear?...:)

adrian

dex67

« Reply #32 on: 15 Sep 2014, 02:21 pm »

'You can try to convince yourself of whatever you want.  The bottom line is that you do need them and what Ryan says is correct.'

LOL! thank you for the laugh...I needed that for Monday morning...:)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: 15 Sep 2014, 02:33 pm »
'You can try to convince yourself of whatever you want.  The bottom line is that you do need them and what Ryan says is correct.'

LOL! thank you for the laugh...I needed that for Monday morning... :)
If you don't believe me that's fine. Get a mic and see for yourself.  Measurements do not lie.

dex67

« Reply #34 on: 15 Sep 2014, 02:42 pm »
Hello all,

Let's keep all the posts on topic. For everything that is off topic let's continue to use the personal messages.

Thank you,
Adrian

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #35 on: 15 Sep 2014, 02:44 pm »
Hello all,

Let's keep all the posts on topic. For everything that is off topic let's continue to use the personal messages.

Thank you,
Adrian
I think we're on topic.

RDavidson

« Reply #36 on: 15 Sep 2014, 02:47 pm »
 :duh: Really? I guess we should believe that the acoustics of live music venues don't make a difference either, dex?

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #37 on: 15 Sep 2014, 03:36 pm »
Thanks for bajaed for PM'ing me saying "hey dummy, he did start a thread in the Acoustics circle".  So now I'll go post there  :duh:

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #38 on: 15 Sep 2014, 04:08 pm »
Are the woofers in phase? Maybe one was pulled out and hooked back up wrong?
JTOL...

The advice and suggestions on a node issue are sound... I've experienced it in my room with speaker changes, and had to do some acoustic tweaking to bring things back.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 15 Sep 2014, 04:19 pm »
For node issues, radical re-placement of the speakers and or seating position would answer the question, right?