DSD DAC with Preamp and bypass

mattsf

Re: DSD DAC with Preamp and bypass
« Reply #20 on: 28 Feb 2014, 10:16 pm »
Thanks Russ - that is super useful information. Sounds like the Preamp stage is basically still DSD - regardless it sounds like a very mindful and well thought through design.

Cacophonix - the oppo ha-1 is interesting, and i can wait because I won't be pulling the trigger on this until about December after I'm done a remodel where this system will be living. I have the Oppo BDP-105 now and I can't say that I'm pleased with it - I've had too big issues with pieces not working. I love the industrial design of the ha-1 thought, it is very sleek.

djmckaytx

• Legacy Whispers, Legacy Amps, Grover Cables
« Reply #21 on: 28 Feb 2014, 10:52 pm »
David, I turned 60 last Tuesday, and now I am being confirmed that I am senile.   :lol:

Nice room!!

+1 to that...really impressed (and jealous a bit).   :)   

By the way Ted, I recently had my W4S DAC-2 upgraded to the SE.  I have never been happier with my sound.  To be fair, I cannot break it away from my headphone setup and try it on my big system...it's just that good:

PC —> Wyred For Sound Driver —> PC USB Port —> Kimber USB Cable ---> Wyred For Sound DAC-2se —> Grover Huffman ICs —> Schiit Lyr HP Amp ---> HD600 HP

thuhaile

« Reply #22 on: 1 Mar 2014, 12:43 am »
David, I did NOT know you used Jeff.  I love the guy.  Here is his work, and although the HAR slats for the ceiling cloud and side wall diffusers are the most prominent,. it's his 400 lb MAT (membrane absorber trap...i.e floating wall) concealed behind my video screen that cleaned up my 2 channel soundstage like nothing I'd every experienced.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=53699.msg893756#msg893756

I mention all this cuz separating 2 channel from HT is not easy, but can be done.

Your system look impressive, Ted! 

RDavidson

« Reply #23 on: 1 Mar 2014, 02:52 am »
Thanks Ted for your detailed response. How is the pre-amp in the Wyred4Sound?

Not to dive too deep into technical stuff (as there are articles out there that cover this) but here's my experience:
The Wyred DAC 2 is nice in that it attenuates in the digital realm, so there's no op amps, pots, etc in it to control volume. Here's the catch. Any DAC that attenuates in the digital realm will shave resolution. With CD sound, this isn't a huge deal. The DAC is 32 bit, and CD's are 16 bit. So the DAC has quite a bit of room (16 extra bits) to attenuate volume without affecting resolution. But when you start looking at high res downloads, which are 24 bit, you have much less room to attenuate the volume. I'm sure this is likely the same for DSD.

Not to get too far off topic, but how much attenuation you need depends on how loud you like to listen, your amp's input sensitivity and power rating, and your speaker's sensitivity.

With that said, I listen at quite modest volumes. I couldn't attenuate the volume of the DAC enough without beginning to eat away at resolution. I was even using Harrison Labs -12db attenuator plugs at the amp input.

I ended up getting a Wyred STP SE, and the rest is history. I can run my DAC at full resolution regardless of source material. Not to mention, my system took a turn for the better in terms of overall musicality, drive, detail, listening pleasure, and flexibility. The STP SE is a fantastic piece of equipment, as is the DAC 2.

werd

« Reply #24 on: 3 Mar 2014, 02:21 am »
David, I turned 60 last Tuesday, and now I am being confirmed that I am senile.   :lol:

Nice room!!

You actually turned 65 but they haven't told you yet. Its great to be senile  :thumb: