DVA 850 Monoblocks

I.Greyhound Fan

DVA 850 Monoblocks
« on: 31 Jul 2016, 09:57 pm »
About 10 days ago I was able to hear Frank's news DVA 850 Mono Blocks at his place.  I brought over my Luxman DA-06 DAC so I could use my computer and Bug Head music player.  I also got to hear it with Frank's DAC and CD player as a transport along with his Turn Table.

Frank also had a new pair of prototype speakers using Seas drivers that may or may not make it into production.

I have to say that was the best that I have heard Frank's gear sound.  The 850's were fabulous.  Better than the 600R and 400R amps.  They seemed smoother yet more detailed.  Bass was thunderous and controlled.  The high end was delicate, natural sounding and had a good sense of air.  I never found the high frequencies to have sibilants or fatigue. The sound stage was wider and there was a better sense of space and transparency.  The mid range was very textured and had just a hint of warmth compared to the R series amps.  Low level detail was also improved.

If I were not looking to upgrade my speakers I would consider selling my Pass amp and buying a pair of these.

Art_Chicago

Re: DVA 850 Monoblocks
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2016, 08:22 pm »
just curios if the new speakers are Philharmonic Audio' 3 with Seas exotica drivers.

I own standard Phil's 3 and wondering what the Seas drivers would add to these already excellent speakers. 

Lefty052347

• AVA Associate
« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2016, 01:12 am »
Quick answer is yes and yes.  I don't think that I have heard anything better.

Regards,
Dean

avahifi

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2016, 01:53 pm »
The new speakers were commissioned by me as an experiment that I am pleased with.

However, they will not go into production and will just remain an interesting one off design useful as a research tool here.

Frank

Art_Chicago

« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2016, 06:04 pm »
Thanks, Frank!

BTW, it would be great to see a comparison test of the AVA amps with the same pair of speakers, so one can get an idea what the audible differences are among, say, Synergy 450, FetValve 400R and the new mono blocks.

I did audition all those amps separately at Axpona's, but never was able to compare them due to obvious reasons (too many people and requests).

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2016, 01:28 am »
Hey Frank,

Good luck with the new amp.

Cheers Rod

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2016, 07:37 pm »
Is there a media review of the DVA 850 mono blocks in the works?

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2016, 09:10 pm »
Pretty odd way of introducing a new product.....

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2016, 05:58 am »
They were first shown at AXPONA this past Spring.