How do I get more out of my STRB

Gzerro

Re: How do I get more out of my STRB
« Reply #40 on: 4 Mar 2015, 05:58 am »
Quick question, is it possible that I am cancelling out the base based on where the speakers are located?  About 18 inches from back wall and left speaker front side about 10-12 inches from side wall.

Room is 20 x 20 but right speaker is about 10 feet from wall.  Sitting about 12 ft from front wall. Illustration below.

Thanks

--------------------
I x          x            I
I                          I
I _______            I

It's definately possible. It looks like one speaker is almost dead center between the sidewalls, which can create nulls.

The only way to know for sure is to measure, but that may not be a rabbit hole you want to go down. You can get free software from hometheatershack.com called REW along with instructions, but it takes some time to set it up properly and learn how to interpret and act on the results.

You may want to start just by moving the speakers around, even if you can't put them there permanently, it will be a learning experience of just how much difference placement makes - especially for good bass.

maxkoz

« Reply #41 on: 4 Mar 2015, 02:05 pm »
Thanks G!

One more question, because of the speaker on the left being so close to the wall I have to manually Adjust the gain to get an even volume. The difference is -2.5 or -3db. Is is better to attenuate th left speaker or to gain the right one?  Right now I have it half and half. Thanks again!

Gzerro

« Reply #42 on: 4 Mar 2015, 04:59 pm »
Thanks G!

One more question, because of the speaker on the left being so close to the wall I have to manually Adjust the gain to get an even volume. The difference is -2.5 or -3db. Is is better to attenuate th left speaker or to gain the right one?  Right now I have it half and half. Thanks again!

If you are running with Audyssey active, it should make that correction for you. When you run it, keep the mic in a close circle around your main listening position (within 3' and keep the mic between the two speakers).

If you are not using Audyssey, I would attenuate or do half and half. Probably doesn't really matter much either way though for just a couple db.

Good Luck!

Tom

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #43 on: 4 Mar 2015, 05:32 pm »
A square room 20x20 is not best for room modes. You might want to think about trying to place speakers to each side of a corner if possible.

maxkoz

« Reply #44 on: 4 Mar 2015, 07:09 pm »
Does a foot or 2 make a big difference in room size?  It is not exactly 20 x 20,  Almost 22 x 21. 

Corner placement of the left speaker is possible but not the right one.

Audyssey had my rigt speaker at -.5db when in reality it needs to be +3db or as discussed before a difference of 3. I think the left wall and the speaker in the middle of the room could be pulling a number on my sound.   :evil:

I am missing base in the 150-250 region I think.  (Will actually listen to some sweeps and see if I can pin point better)  Is there another low tech way of figuring this out? 

I compare the sound that I am hearing with my home theater in a box I have at home and when I hear male voices or machine gun fire the sound of this sub $600 system is richer and fuller.  Something is wrong and I need to figure out what  :?

Thanks for all your help

Max

maxkoz

« Reply #45 on: 6 Mar 2015, 01:08 am »
So I think I Finlay figured it out. I was playing some freq sweeps and without any measuring equipment noticed a huge dip from 95 down to 80 Hz. No wonder I felt I was missing something. Then these guys play down to 35 at good volume!

Running audyssey the amp must have noticed it, removed the duty from the speakers and used my uncapable sub to fill in. In short, it sounds better with audyssey, but it is still a mess.

What are my options if speaker placement is limited?  I can move the right speaker further right, but the left speaker is not moving more than a few inches in any direction.

Thanks again.

Max